Draft Thoughts [1/2]

Dangles13

It never ceases to be exciting when you get drafted, at least for me. The pre-draft courting period is nice to get a glimpse into teams and how they operate and it is good for the ego. Being told that you are wanted and they think you can be a big part of what they are building always feels a little good. Leaving a team meeting after a little ego stroking always puts a little pep in my step even though I know they give every prospect the same spiel. 

I know what I am capable of and I know where my talent is at right now and it is reassuring when you meet an executive who puts words to your thoughts. Young players, we can struggle with confidence whenever we have a bad shift or a bad game and when someone in a position of power claps you on the back and says something like "don't worry, son, things will turn around soon if you keep working. You'll be back where you were before this slump" it is a load off your mind. 

The draft can be nerve-wracking as you wait to hear your name called; knowing you are talented and convincing a team that you are two different things. You might be a high draft pick but you might also slip down the board and look like a steal in a few seasons. A piece of advice, throw out where you think you should go and where you feel that you should go because that likely isn't going to be the case. You can have the best draft interview with a team and think it's a perfect marriage and then on draft day, you catch that team fucking your best friend in the pantry.

I try not to get attached to any teams that scout me either, it doesn't pay to like one more than the other because you don't get any say in where you go. I don't do any research and I don't have any preferences, I'll play for a rebuilding team and I will go to a team that just won the cup all the same. I will play in Europe or North America, hell, I would even play in Africa if they wanted me to; I just want to lace them up and do damage.

My old man always used to say, "focus on what you can control and forget what you cannot" and I hold that dear to this day. I can't make a team decide to take me so I have to do my best to keep composed and focus on the after draft stuff. If I slide a lot then I use that as motivation to get better and show those teams what they could have had when they passed on me. I plan to be a dominant force in the VHL for as long as my body will allow me to be and I cannot wait to reward the team that takes a chance on me.

Review - A very honest and insightful look into a draftee's mindset. I think some of your metaphors (marriage/pantry) are pretty vivid and honestly I'm a huge fan of it. I like to think that, even after 1,769 (nice) posts, getting drafted still gets the blood pumping. Hopefully things go well for you and you go where you'd like to.