VHLM Updates

Retired MF

When you have a negative attitude, you have a negative experience.

I actually preferred playing in the VHLM to the VHL. It's when you build your draft stock, and drafts are typically some of the most exciting activities in a league. No one gonna remember if you scored 24 points or 46 points in the VHLM. You're gonna remember where you were drafted and how you stack up against others in your draft class.

I like the discussion and points this guy raises, it's just the way he says things that somewhat makes me hold back from giving answers.

I'll give it to you this way though:

I have been here since day 1 and although I've had run ins with some members I have never had an issue with the sim engine or the updating. That's just me, and if it was an issue I would certainly speak up like you have (except in a civil manner of course). If we hire someone to update more often than it would be great, and believe me we are working on that (it is one area the blue team has looked into and is trying to find a solution). But it can't be down overnight because that updater has to be both reliable and given a registration code. There are plenty of candidates and I am sure they are looking into them.

However, to say Jardy or Higgins are sitting on their lazy butts is a huge insult. Like Svoboda said earlier, these guys have jobs, school and various other outside activities which all add up to life. As far as our updaters go, I can speak for all when I tell you that all four of us have school, jobs and various work to do as well. We don't sit on our asses and just watch the screen for the sake of watching it. But hey, if you think we do and you want me to postpone my engagement plans and such I will do that for you. Anything to get that update in right?

Edited by Kendrick

First off, I don't know if this is exactly clear or not, but it's not as though the VHLM is exclusively not updated in the sim.  Everything is done at once.  If the VHLM players aren't updated, neither are the VHL players.

Second, you seriously need to adjust your approach with these complaints/suggestions.  "I always come at things like this, just is how I am... check the picture and understand who I named my player after and you'll get my personality." Oh okay, that's fine then.  In response maybe I should just say, "Well I'm a lazy fuck who hates change, that's just how I am. I'm just lazy.  I'm just rude.  It's how I roll.  I even named my player after the most recent subject of My 600lb Life.  Everyone else has to deal with it."  Does that seem acceptable to you?

I get your frustration, and I'm glad your bringing up points like these, because changes like these can only be good.  In fact normally I'd probably just be attempting to sleep right now because it's almost 2:00am, but I now figured I'd do a chunk of updating first.  Except deep down I feel awful for responding like that to shit like this.  It's like, "Hey, some drunk asshole is shouting obscenities at us.  Let's listen to that guy."  Like seriously, just the MOST MINOR of adjustments to almost every post you make is the difference between me wanting to punch you, and me thinking you're the best new member we've had in a long time.

DT and Moholt - Think my response to yours is about the same... you still don't get how impossible it is to enjoy watching someone get destroyed knowing that the catch up TPE is just sitting out there. It is an absolute pain in the ass. My player SHOULD be improving... he SHOULD be catching the recreates but instead he sits there... being a sorry fuck despite the time put in.

Kendrick and Jardy - I appreciate the backhanded compliments. I rather enjoy them actually. I am about getting shit done, how that happens well... my methods are certainly different from yours. If I didn't feel like I had a valid argument from the get go, I would have never opened my mouth. Like I said way back in this thread, I like the recreate TPE to keep older guys refreshed, BUT if you are gonna argue the 3 doubled media and the VHLM TC help bridge the gap.... you can't wait til fucking midseason to input the updates. Now I've spent half a season with no fucking chance. It is bullshit. You can't tell me it isn't after I listened to everyone talk about how great of an opportunity it is for noobs.

Also, I've stated this before but here it is again: I understand the VHL is where the fun is but the point of the VHLM is to get people acquainted and keep them interested while building that player for the VHL. How much fun is getting your ass kicked when you KNOW you've done work to change that but somebody somewhere in the chain... isn't tossing yah a bone!?

• Head Moderator

I'm sure you can make valid arguments without needing to curse. Sure maybe you are like that in real life and all but just pretend you're in a restaurant or something there is some social etiquette that can be adhered to without needing to change who you are. A little restrain can go a long way to having people listen to you.

I'm sure you can make valid arguments without needing to curse. Sure maybe you are like that in real life and all but just pretend you're in a restaurant or something there is some social etiquette that can be adhered to without needing to change who you are. A little restrain can go a long way to having people listen to you.

This is a whole different argument. What is cursing? I could say gosh darnit frick you. Or what the fuck man. Which is cursing? Or... Holy crud you stink Or you're fucking awesome! Which do you prefer? They are just adjectives and/or adverbs. Nothing more, it is all how you take them. Not my fault some of them offend you, let nothing offend you. Never been to a 5 Star Restaurant but heard much worse from the 4 Star Restaurant I frequent.

You act like me and Trifecta didn't go through the same systems you are going through.

Never said anything of the such... just telling you from a new persons perspective... it fucking sucks ass to get raped game after game after game when I've put in the work to not be raped.

I will make this very simple, the VHL leadership appreciates suggestions, and how we can improve this league. However, if you are going to continuously bombard members with insults, and disrespect the astronomically high amounts of work members like Jardy,Higgins, or Kendrick have done, please be so kind to leave our league.

There is a precise, and respectful way to suggest ideas, and you clearly lack the mental capacity to garner such a simple concept. The league will flourish with, or without you. Your conduct, and respect to our members, will dictate how you are perceived, and treated moving forward.  

*DROPS MIC*

Edited by Seth

• Head Moderator

Cursing can be summed as word choice and tone.

Or if you want the simplier version since you seem so jaded howabout something like...

"Show respect to your elders. "

You seem to be quite intelligent, your argument makes sense and nobody is really against your suggestions, but your delivery is piss poor to say the least. Is it your fault you offendothers llike our commish? Actually yes it is because you're the one choosing the words to say.

We're a community here that respects one another and frankly no matter how smart you are or how good of a member you could be, it's all for naught if you can't respect others enough here to not offend them while talking.

If you can't go along with that, then we're at an impasse.

I will make this very simple, the VHL leadership appreciates suggestions, and how we can improve this league. However, if you are going to continuously bombard members with insults, and disrespect the astronomically high amounts of work members like Jardy,Higgins, or Kendrick have done, please be so kind to leave our league.

There is a precise, and respectful way to suggest ideas, and you clearly lack the mental capacity to garner such a simple concept. The league will flourish with, or without you. Your conduct, and respect to our members, will dictate how you are perceived, and treated moving forward.  

*DROPS MIC*

Para 1 states... don't throw insults.

Para 2 ... full of insults.

Your argument is therefore invalid.

Cursing can be summed as word choice and tone.

Or if you want the simplier version since you seem so jaded howabout something like...

"Show respect to your elders. "

You seem to be quite intelligent, your argument makes sense and nobody is really against your suggestions, but your delivery is piss poor to say the least. Is it your fault you offendothers llike our commish? Actually yes it is because you're the one choosing the words to say.

We're a community here that respects one another and frankly no matter how smart you are or how good of a member you could be, it's all for naught if you can't respect others enough here to not offend them while talking.

If you can't go along with that, then we're at an impasse.

See, had you left out lines 2 and 3... you would have had me. Extremely well worded and in a manner than garnishes respect. Being and elder does not mean I should respect you. I don't know you from adam... I haven't a clue fuckers real ages around here. The first line is my favorite. Cursing is all about tone to me. On the internet, tone is damn near impossible to figure out though. As far as word choice well, my vocabulary just differs from others... whether or not you hold that against me is out of my control.

• Admin

Most of the league has no issue with swearing 99% of the time. Think you all got rubbed the wrong way by the points he raised, not the language he used. Well I guess one didn't help the other, but the main offence was clearly questioning the superiority of the VHL.

Which was foolish of course but the points raised are quite understandable. The real question is Coach, are you still concerned about the topic at hand (the original ones about updates)? It's been answered already, I'm just unclear whether you've seen it since this discussion has long moved on to some weird shit.

• Head Moderator

Being elder is figurative, you could be older than anyone here for all I know. More importantly though it's just to point out that Jardy and company have been here for longer and unlike you who are relatively new here, have put in countless if not hundreds of hours into the league.

It's not the job of other people to decipher your vocabulary usage and guess what you mean. You are the new one here, it's your job to give us a good understanding of you. Just like any workplace, the company doesn't adapt for the first new employee, the new employee adapts to the organization.

I'm not trying to beat you or win against you. It's not something I'm keeping score of. I think you have valid points and reasoning, I'm just asking you in a nice way to consider how you are communicating to people that have put in a lot oftime and effort into this league. If flipped around and you are the admin, wouldn't you expect the same from a new guy coming in here?

Sterling: Man Zimmer sometimes drove me over the years edge lol. Anderson was always pretty respectful to me I thought, when he wasn't trying something underhanded heh.

The real question is Coach, are you still concerned about the topic at hand (the original ones about updates)? It's been answered already, I'm just unclear whether you've seen it since this discussion has long moved on to some weird shit.

I have seen that it is being discussed and thought maybe someone said they are entering them but when I check the uploads, I see no updates.

Being elder is figurative, you could be older than anyone here for all I know. More importantly though it's just to point out that Jardy and company have been here for longer and unlike you who are relatively new here, have put in countless if not hundreds of hours into the league.

It's not the job of other people to decipher your vocabulary usage and guess what you mean. You are the new one here, it's your job to give us a good understanding of you. Just like any workplace, the company doesn't adapt for the first new employee, the new employee adapts to the organization.

I'm not trying to beat you or win against you. It's not something I'm keeping score of. I think you have valid points and reasoning, I'm just asking you in a nice way to consider how you are communicating to people that have put in a lot oftime and effort into this league. If flipped around and you are the admin, wouldn't you expect the same from a new guy coming in here?

I guess when I hear elder, I cringe. I live in South US... old people just assume they deserve respect for being old and not how they act. I don't demand respect (tangent story, when coaching... I call all my kids sir and mam... then and only then do I expect the same... been coaching since 17 and am 25 now, i was hardly an elder to my 18 year old PG for the AAU team that summer lol). Anyway, I get where you are coming from but I respect when a valid point comes across and I certainly respect different cultures/beliefs than my same (got into an argument with a lil POA of mine last night about this). No, haven't been in this league long clearly so I am not an elder here. But if you wanna be vast and look at sim leagues... well, let's just say I got a decade plus in a vast array of styles of sim leagues. Ran some, higher upped some, just plain participated in others. I've always been the same way and well, I think people will get used to me quick enough.

Looky there.... no "curse" words besides the POA thing which I abbreviated. Just depends on what I gotta/wanna say.

Well I guess one didn't help the other, but the main offence was clearly questioning the superiority of the VHL.

Just want to point out that I will always question authority. I don't think there is a damn thing wrong with it. Even when I am in that role. It keeps us all in check... we're human, we gonna fuck up... having people keep us in check helps limit those and fix the errors quickly. I understand this league has been around a long time so most thing there is no reason for real change. Let me introduce you to my favorite quote/method, "If it isn't broken, break it and make it better." Not sure it is word for word but that is from Louisville Coach Rick Pitino. Nothing is it's best form ever. When you stop growing, you die. Like the human brain.

How have I missed this thread with so many three paragraph posts?

In an ideal world updates would get done every week. This isn't the first time this has been brought up and it won't be the last. We have stayed on the line of Sterling giving access to his copy of STHS for updating purposes before. It's a matter of someone making it official and it getting done. That has yet to happen. On that note Sterling, we also were talking previously about a back up simmer which I volunteered for in the BoG and you seemed to indicate was fine. Send someone that copy of STHS already and lets stop procrastinating on this stuff. :P 

• Head Moderator

I have seen that it is being discussed and thought maybe someone said they are entering them but when I check the uploads, I see no updates.

I guess when I hear elder, I cringe. I live in South US... old people just assume they deserve respect for being old and not how they act. I don't demand respect (tangent story, when coaching... I call all my kids sir and mam... then and only then do I expect the same... been coaching since 17 and am 25 now, i was hardly an elder to my 18 year old PG for the AAU team that summer lol). Anyway, I get where you are coming from but I respect when a valid point comes across and I certainly respect different cultures/beliefs than my same (got into an argument with a lil POA of mine last night about this). No, haven't been in this league long clearly so I am not an elder here. But if you wanna be vast and look at sim leagues... well, let's just say I got a decade plus in a vast array of styles of sim leagues. Ran some, higher upped some, just plain participated in others. I've always been the same way and well, I think people will get used to me quick enough.

Looky there.... no "curse" words besides the POA thing which I abbreviated. Just depends on what I gotta/wanna say.

I like this method here you use to explain things to me, we're on the same page.

Now back to your issue at hand. Keep in mind i agree that Vhlm updates should be done more frequently and hopefully the bog hires someone to fill in this job on a weekly basis.

I like this method here you use to explain things to me, we're on the same page.

Now back to your issue at hand. Keep in mind i agree that Vhlm updates should be done more frequently and hopefully the bog hires someone to fill in this job on a weekly basis.

Well shit, that is boring... how am I gonna keep people interested if everyone just starts agreeing with me. This is fucking stupid... I am out.

*Drops Mic*

... I do that right?

Well if you want to put it that way, I do have a decade + in experience in sim leagues and I also know that speaking to people like they are mice gets you nowhere. Like I said you bring up some great points, you just lack knowledge of how to correctly bring them up with people who would be willing to help when using the correct tone.

Well if you want to put it that way, I do have a decade + in experience in sim leagues and I also know that speaking to people like they are mice gets you nowhere. Like I said you bring up some great points, you just lack knowledge of how to correctly bring them up with people who would be willing to help when using the correct tone.

Again with this same bullshit... you tell me I speak to people like they are mice and it gets me nowhere THEN you tell me I lack knowledge. Are you not calling the kettle black?

Edited by Coach D