San Diego Marlins Press Conference

10 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of 5/20: 

1. How well do you think your individual performance is going? Do you feel like it's contributing enough to the team? 

2. Do you think San Diego can hold up being a top three team in the league, or was it a big fluke? 

3. Do any of the Marlins surprise you based on their performance? If so, who and why? 

4. Other than the Marlins, rank your top 3 favorite teams and why (nothing crazy, sentence or two)

5. What could the VHLM do as "improvements" to enhance the members experience while in the minors? 

6. Why did you choose your player render (if you have one), any meaningful significance? 

1. I think I've been doing okay, not as good as I hoped for at the start of the season.

2. No doubt if we keep playing the way we're playing right now.

3. Don't think I can pick anyone in particular, we're all pitching in to keep this train going and show everyone what we're all about.

4. I havent been checking out other teams all that much, been too focused on myself and our team. But if I had to pick I'd choose Malmö cause they're from back home and they have a pretty sick looking logo. Other then that I don't really know. The Reapers based off of their logo and they're killing it in the VHLM as well, maybe good luck from their mascot, who knows?
Third and final would be the Vancouver Wolves, their logo is very clean yet gets the point across.

5. Not sure, there's plenty to do already I think, in terms of ways to get TPE. Outside from that I don't really know.

6. I chose Roman Josi because he fits my size and I'm aspiring to become as good as him further on in my career.

13 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of 5/20: 

1. How well do you think your individual performance is going? Do you feel like it's contributing enough to the team? 

2. Do you think San Diego can hold up being a top three team in the league, or was it a big fluke? 

3. Do any of the Marlins surprise you based on their performance? If so, who and why? 

4. Other than the Marlins, rank your top 3 favorite teams and why (nothing crazy, sentence or two)

5. What could the VHLM do as "improvements" to enhance the members experience while in the minors? 

6. Why did you choose your player render (if you have one), any meaningful significance? 

1.Pretty good, could be better but I’m happy with it so far. Could score a few more goals though

2. For sure I think we can. We have enough skill depth and talent to compete with the big names and make the playoffs.

3.Tannahill and Tate. Those 2 have been lighting it up recently, really helping us shoot up the standings.

4. Probably Halifax, Mississauga and Houston. I love pretty close to Halifax and I’m a big Gaudette fan.

5.Nothing really maybe more ways to get TPE just like 1 or 2. 

6. Brendan Gallagher because he’s one of the most likeable guys in my opinion. Plays with heart and works his ass off every single game. That’s why I want my guy to be.

18 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of 5/20: 

1. Offensively, I had a slow start. Even still, I feel like I am not contributing enough on the scoresheet, but just looking at my stats, I'm still second on the team in scoring and 3rd in the LEAGUE in hits - so I guess I'm my own worst critic. Definitely will be trying to add to this, but objectively looking at the stats, I'm doing pretty well for a Rookie! :)

2. It's clearly not a fluke. We've been able to beat Saskatoon twice. We haven't played Philly or Ottawa too many times yet, but since in the VHLM you can only get in so many practice hours, this bodes well for us, as we have a number of guys consistently getting closer to that cap. Those other two teams already have a bunch at the cap. It'll all be down to the playoffs, baby!!

3.  @Lincoln Tate has definitely been a big surprise. He's been consistently contributing to our offensive output and is such a leader. He doesn't toot his own horn and does nothing but encourage everyone. It's fantastic having that leadership in the lockerroom!

4. If we are talking VHL - Toronto, Seattle, Helsinki. I live in Toronto and had the best VHL experiences with those three teams.  - If we are talking VHLM - The only team I have any affiliation towards other than San Diego is the Saskatoon Wild. They were my first ever VHL experience and got to the semis back in S17 (we got heartbroken by Aidan Shaw and the Brampton Blades). Otherwise I couldn't give a shit about any other VHLM team past or present. 

5. Ideally, the games shouldn't be played near midnight my time - but I'm just being an anus. I think the depth of the league has improved drastically and it seems to be an actual competitive league! Seems all good to me!

6. I mean... Marleau chose Marleau as his render... I think you can put two and two together. Regardless, Phil Knight has always been a Leaf fan, but back in Grade 2 - he had an obsession with the Sharks as well. mostly because of the awesome logo and colours. So he's always kept his eyes on the team. And Marleau has been a phenomenal talent in the NHL. 

1) So far so good, have had more good games then bad. A few I could have played better to help us getting an extra win or two but overall I am happy with my contribution to the team
2) I think we can hold up, we have been playing well. Everyone is contributing and we have been gelling well.
3) Everyone has been solid and chipping in and Tate has been a big surprise since his switch and has helped the team nicely

4) In the whole league (VHL/VHLM) I would have to say Toronto, Mississauga and Calgary. I live in Ontario so Toronto/Mississauga would be cool and Calgary just because they are a Canadian team. I know Ottawa is in the league but being a Leafs fan I don't think I could play for them :P

5) I don't think I would change anything, I would only maybe add a practice facility for VHLM as well. Never hurts to get a few extra TPE

6) I do not have a render yet, still thinking about who I want to represent Eagles

21 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of 5/20: 

1. I’ve been working on my playmaking skills and it’s slowly working also I had the craziest idea. It’s called the Mikhailov Hat Trick in which you score an assist, and two goals (which I believe I have done)

2. We can hold it though we might fall to top five

3. I’d say Tate definitely came out of nowhere legally changing his name and learning how to play as a defensemen for the clueless people out there. Tate is Knox Booth.

4. I don’t pay attention to other VHLM teams so I’m gonna say 1 VHLM and 2 NHL cause that’s not against the rules. 

1. Reapers ( I cant hate on Blade though she stole our fake mascot.)

2. Sharks I’m not a fan , but I respect them for what they’ve done in the past please come back Marleau 

3. Caps I also am not a fan except for Ovi and Holtby. Great respect to former cup winners.

5. Maybe give the teams a choice to pull in the player when they reach the 200 plateau

6. I haven’t but IR is making me a sig so @InstantRockstar I’d like Kane with a beard.

Week of 5/27: 

Answer 6 of 10 questions to claim your 2 TPE:

1. What is your favourite part of the VHL as a whole?
  2. San Diego are steadily holding at 4th in the VHLm. What can the team do to try to crack the top 3?
  3. What is your favourite pre-game food?
  4. Which attributes are you currently training and why?
  5. Where do you see yourself being drafted? 
  6. Who is your all-time favourite VHL player?
  7. What is your favourite holiday retreat?
  8. People have been complaining about the lottery and updating speed. Do you have any input on these two matters?
  9. Are you excited about the WJC?
  10. If you weren't playing hockey, what would your career path look like?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Week of 5/27: 

2. What is your favourite pre-game food?
  3. Which attributes are you currently training and why?
  4. Where do you see yourself being drafted? 
  5.  What is your favourite holiday retreat?
  6.  If you weren't playing hockey, what would your career path look like?

1. Definitely the community.  Everyone is very supportive and welcoming of new members.

2.  Steak and eggs, all food you can find on the range.  Nothing like a hearty pre-game meal.

3.  Shooting and skating.  I'm a gunslinger and shooting and skating are the attributes that support that mentality.

4.  Probably 3rd or 4th round.  I have deficiencies in my game and that is probably what is keeping me out of the first couple of rounds.

5.  Favourite holiday retreat would be in Whistler.  Skiing and snowboarding is a great change of pace from a life on the range.

6.  If I wasn't playing hockey, I would be a bullfighter.  Growing up on the range gave me no fear of big bulls and nothing gets the blood going like a raging bull charging at you.

1. What is your favourite pre-game food?

Being polish...Perogies! probably not the best pre-game food but its too delicious!

2. Which attributes are you currently training and why?

Currently working on reaction time. Only primary stat I have left to get to 70.

3. Where do you see yourself being drafted? 

I am not sure what team but to me it doesn't matter. I will play anywhere. In terms of rounds probably 2nd or 3rd. Lots of good players ahead of me and 2 other goalies ahead of me as well.

4. People have been complaining about the lottery and updating speed. Do you have any input on these two matters?

Lottery definitely needs to be fixed somehow, right now it is just a spam fest. I am sure it will be figured out!

5. Are you excited about the WJC?

Always fun to see the WJC. Hopefully my fantasy predictions come true for some extra TPE :P

6. If you weren't playing hockey, what would your career path look like?

If it wasn't hockey then it would be soccer! 2nd favorite sport

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Week of 5/27: 

2. San Diego are steadily holding at 4th in the VHLm. What can the team do to try to crack the top 3?
  6. What is your favourite holiday retreat?

1. The community in general, dont have to look far for a helping hand.

2. Just keep working hard and score some more goals.

3. As a Swede, you'd think meatballs with lingonberries... but it's actually chicken parmesan, yummy!

4. Focusing on passing for sure, my passing game is not where I'd want it to be right now.

5. Tough one, I have some bits in my game I need to work at so my guess is in the 3rd round or later.

6. Back home in Mörrum we have this big creek where people go to fish salmon. Biggest I ever got was 37 inches and 26 lbs.

21 hours ago, Phil said:

Week of 5/27: 

8. People have been complaining about the lottery and updating speed. Do you have any input on these two matters?

1. The community is really good. Everyone is super chill and easy to talk to, i like it. 

2. I think we need to generate more shots, as well as keep opposing shots down. We have been getting hammered lately, almost gave up 50 against OTT last night lol

3. Big Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo guy

4. I just got skating to 70, now im getting strength up to 50. My current plan is to get my 5 main attributes all up to 70 so i have a balanced build, then i will start pumping more into scoring again now that the cost for all are doubled. 

5. I think i will go somewhere in the 20's-30's. Looking at the live draft rankings, that's where i have been tracking. 

8. I think it is kind of annoying seeing people just spam stuff for the lottery on posts. Should at least try and have some sort of comment related to the game. For updating, ya it would be nicer if it happened faster sometimes, but the updaters have lives, and im sure they get a shit ton of requests to go through daily as well, so I understand.   

On 5/27/2019 at 1:33 PM, Phil said:

Week of 5/27: 

1.the dedication of the community for sure. It’s great to see so many people put in tremendous effort! That’s what makes it so competitive.

2.Our defence has to tighten up. We’ve been playing dominant offence but our defence needs help eagles out more.

3.Chicken Parmigiana for sure! Maybe chicken wings..I’m a big chicken guy.

4.Skating and Defence, for the reasons listed above. We need to get better in that area.

7.Cuba, Crystal clear water and sandy beaches are the life.

9.Absoloutley, it’ll be the first one I see but I’m pumped!

• 2 weeks later...

Week of 06/10: 

1. With the Marlins slipping to 6th and around 12 games left, what do you think happens to us moving forward? 

2. If you could be GM for a day, what would you do to help and why? 

3. With a team award show at the end of the season, who do you think gets the most awards? 

4. Making history, do you think the Marlins succeeded or failed in their first season? 

5. With barely any draft picks, do you think the Marlins made the right choice going all-in this season? 

6. How do you feel three quarters of the way in on your personal performance? 

7. What song best describes the season the Marlins have had? 

8. What workout routine do you follow? Favorite workout? Least favorite? 

9. If you're returning to the team next year, do you feel the team can bounceback after having no picks? 

10. If you're not returning, where do you hope your next destination is? 

9 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of 06/10: 

1. With the Marlins slipping to 6th and around 12 games left, what do you think happens to us moving forward? 

3. With a team award show at the end of the season, who do you think gets the most awards? 

4. Making history, do you think the Marlins succeeded or failed in their first season? 

5. With barely any draft picks, do you think the Marlins made the right choice going all-in this season? 

9. If you're returning to the team next year, do you feel the team can bounceback after having no picks? 

1. Don’t think we’re the cup winners this year but we should have a great run.

2. I’d try to help with PTs and build advice.

3. No clue honestly

4. Succeeded

5. Yes

6. I’ve been ok in my opinion I could’ve played much better.

7. No clue maybe natural.

8. My workout is just playing normally I have none.

9. Yes

10. I think I’m returning. 

Things can only get better from here, we're in the playoffs and can focus on that.

2. Making history, do you think the Marlins succeeded or failed in their first season? 

New team in the league and we've been doing it better than what most people expected at the start of the season.

3. With barely any draft picks, do you think the Marlins made the right choice going all-in this season? 

Not really up to me to decide. But I prefer an all-in attitude instead of a more laid back "let's see what happens".

4. How do you feel three quarters of the way in on your personal performance? 

I still think I have alot more to give on the offensive side, other then that I think I've been doing okay.

Imagine Dragons - Warriors

Depends on how many players we get to keep for next season. But I think we have a strong core to build upon.

Since we clinched, I think we are just taking a little break. Once playoffs start up, we will all be fired up and ready to play like we did at the beginning of the season

Definately succeeded. We upset some of the more established teams throughout the season and made playoffs in our first season ever. That is something to be proud of

9. If you're returning to the team next year, do you feel the team can bounce back after having no picks? 

Depending on how the draft goes and if im even eligible to return, I would love to be back with the Marlins for one more season. Team should be able to do well depending on what players return

On 6/11/2019 at 8:29 PM, Big Mac said:

1. Don’t think we’re the cup winners this year but we should have a great run.

2. I’d try to help with PTs and build advice.

3. No clue honestly

4. Succeeded

5. Yes

6. I’ve been ok in my opinion I could’ve played much better.

7. No clue maybe natural.

8. My workout is just playing normally I have none.

9. Yes

10. I think I’m returning. 

With these answers, please try to expand a little, rather than putting "yes", etc.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, InstantRockstar said:

Week of 06/10: 

1.Even if we squeak into the playoffs I think we can do some damage with out strong veteran team.

2.Everything InstantRockstar has done so far! He’s been a great Gmail and made great moves.

4.Well we had a pretty great year, and I think if we get back on track in the playoffs and made a deep run we can make history.

5.If we make a deep run and st least make the finals the for sure! 

6.I was good at some parts and terrible at others. Some points were really low but hopefully I can improve next year.

9.If we get some good returning players then absolutely. I love San Diego and wanna stay there.

• 4 weeks later...

Week of 7/8

1.) How do you think San Deigo did in the draft? Any hits or misses?

2.) What do you always do before a game?

3.) What do you think of our current roster?

4.) What do you think of our locker room?

5.) What are your goals for the season?

6.) Who do you think is going to win the cup this season?

7.) What do you think the team could improve upon?

8.) Tell me something the GM and AGM should know about you?

9.) What player are you modelling? Why?

10.) How would you describe your game?

9 hours ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of 7/8

2. Turn on my music and listen to some pump up tunes. 

3. Tons of potential, packed full of ultra-skilled players who want to win. 

5. Obviously I want to take a step in the right direction. I'm not going to put a number on it. I just want to play consistently and help the Marlins win hockey games.

6. Us. I have the utmost faith in this group. We're here to game and we will work our rear-ends off every night to prove we are to be taken seriously.

9. Seth Jones is a player that I'd like to model. He's the whole package, skates well, offensive dynamo, solid defensively. Can't ask for better.

10. Two-way game for sure. I like to move the puck and I'm always looking to find ways to score goals or create offensive chances. 

10 hours ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of 7/8

2) It is a bit silly but I always have to drink a bottle of grape Gatorade before a game. I started doing it as a young kid on the pond and it has become a tradition for me.

3) We have a solid group of guys now, but it never hurts to add some more skilled pieces if there's a chance to.

4) I have not had more than a few weeks to interact with my fellows but I am optimistic that as the season goes on, we can really mesh together as a squad and win.

5) I want to earn my place on this team, be it through scoring goals, assisting those in scoring position themselves, ot hustling to the puck on defensive possessions. 

7) Goaltender depth. We have a good starter but our pool of potential backups is very thin.

8) I have been living out of a Motel 6 room for the last few weeks, any chance you guys know a good place to rent for the season? Really do not want to stay there any longer than I have to.

What do you always do before a game?

Well I wake up earlier than I usually do so I can get some cardio in and after that I eat a nice and healthy salad or something similar, not the most interesting pre-game ritual but I like to relax and make sure my body is ready for the full 60 minutes.

What do you think of our current roster?

It needs work but very promising, there were probably a lot of calls made during the off-season and I'm sure some are still being made.The staff have done a great job so far acquiring players and I have faith the roster will fill out and by next season we'll be competitive.

What are your goals for the season?

I'm aiming for 100 TPE right away and earn the extra 10, if I can manage to assist a fair amount of goals I'd be happy with my performance. Still new to the league and I know I could have an off year, no worries though, I'll be earning TPE along the way and improving my skill.

What do you think the team could improve upon?

Right now we need an active goaltender if we want to compete game after game.

Tell me something the GM and AGM should know about you?

I'm a hard worker and like to get things done, expect to see me around all season. I also like the Ottawa Senators, not sure if I've shared that with the team yet.. um burritos are delicious. Next question!

How would you describe your game?

quik and agile, crisp passing point producer with a work ethic that will drive you nuts. Expect to see highlight play attempts almost every night, I live for the moment and if I can get a chance on the breakaway watch out

Edited by Frozen Block

21 hours ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of 7/8

2.) Put on my headphones, pull my hoodie over my head and listen to the album "The Devil and God are raging inside me" by Brand New.

3.) I think we have a lot of the right pieces to make something good happen this season.

4.) Our locker room probably has the best chemistry in the VHLM. We know at the end of the day we are all on the same path, with the same goal in mind.

5.) I think the biggest thing for me this season is to just improve my game. As a rookie I know I have a lot to learn, but am confident that I can be one of the top guys if I apply myself.

6.) There is only one answer to this question - SDM!

9.) Pekka Rinne - he is the whole package. He has been able to cement his place in nashville for a decade and has aged like a fine wine.

Week of July 15th

To claim 2 TPE, answer 6 of the 10 questions below to gain full TPE

1. We're a few sims in now, not the greatest result but from what the Marlins have done, what excites you the most about the results? 

2.  How do you feel about your personal performance thus far? 

3. Is there anyone on the team you're excited about playing with? 

4. What expectations do you have for us moving forward? 

5. If we could add one position, which one is most important and why? 

6. Are you happy with your playing time over the course of the early season? 

7. If you had to give us a rival, who would it be and why? 

8. Which team do you think wins it all this season? Bold predictions? 

9. Do we make the playoffs or nah? lol

10. What is your best workout/pump-up song used to get you hyped? 

10 minutes ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of July 15th

1. We're a few sims in now, not the greatest result but from what the Marlins have done, what excites you the most about the results? 

1. Progression. Game 1 vs Game 5 look like completely different teams.

2. I think that I am getting better everyday, and have the potential to be a top guy.

4. I think that as long as we are progressing and the LR stays positive that we will be the dark horse for the cup.

5. We need some help on the defensive side of the puck. While most of the teams in the league are in the low 100 shots against currently, we are sitting above 200. Just too much open ice out there.

6. Can't complain about playing every game.

9. I think we peak at the right time and make a deep run in the playofffs.

7 minutes ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of July 15th

1. You know, we're always battling out there. We're not coming off the ice feeling bad for ourselves. We all know that this is a process, we're all invested into our systems and our team. The potential of this team is limitless, that's what excites me most.

2. I could be better. I know I can be. It's just finding a way to break out. Obviously I want to put up points every game. I know that's unrealistic but I'd like to be consistent. 

4. I only expect us to leave it all on the ice. Go out and give it our all. 

6. Absolutely, not many rookie d-men are playing 26+ minutes a night. 

9. We may be in tough now, but there is nothing saying to me we can't make the playoffs. This is a group of really talented, driven players. We will get there.

10. That's tough. I always get a strange look when I say this. Before games I clear my mind, focus and I turn on "Gods going to cut you down" by Johnny Cash. Don't know why it gets me in the zone. It's like it sets a fire in my soul.