San Diego Marlins Press Conference

18 minutes ago, InstantRockstar said:

1. We're a few sims in now, not the greatest result but from what the Marlins have done, what excites you the most about the results? 

2.  How do you feel about your personal performance thus far? 

3. Is there anyone on the team you're excited about playing with? 

4. What expectations do you have for us moving forward? 

5. If we could add one position, which one is most important and why? 

6. Are you happy with your playing time over the course of the early season? 

7. If you had to give us a rival, who would it be and why? 

8. Which team do you think wins it all this season? Bold predictions? 

9. Do we make the playoffs or nah? lol

10. What is your best workout/pump-up song used to get you hyped? 

1. The team chemistry. We're not racking up W's, but if we had to rumble in a back alley, there's no other team here I'd want standing in a circle, back to back, holding knives.

2. Honestly, as a defensive defenseman, expected almost an opposite result. Notching almost as many points as I have hits wasn't anything I was anticipating.

4. More W's, maybe even more injury causing hits.

6. So far, yes & no. Like I said earlier, I'd like to get a lot more hits on the stat sheet, which I will gladly exchange for my goal production.

7. Saskatoon. More like ass-spittoon, am I right?

9. Trust the process, expect a string a W's coming in hot.

10. Mainly because it's on right now and seems to fit our team's record: Middle Child - J. COLE

Week of July 15th

To claim 2 TPE, answer 6 of the 10 questions below to gain full TPE

1. We're a few sims in now, not the greatest results but from what the Marlins have done, what excites you the most about the results? 

Seeing my player on the score sheet, I'm a big fan of statistics and even if we lose there is still tons to read and get lost in.

Could be better in my opinion but others may say I'm doing great. Just want to keep improving and make my future performances even better!

Our team is going to be competitive shortly, we might not be at the top of the standings by the end of the season but I can see us being competitive all-around, might even ruin a few top teams days playing the stinker down the road.

We need a pair of defenders I think, we could use anybody but if we can get a little more defense to back up Grimaldi and that will give us more chances to win.

Yes but wouldn't mind if I had to play less, rest is a big thing and I'm scared if we continue playing this much time we'll break. Obviously I'm knocking on wood because nothing has happened so far (and probably wont) but as much as I like being on the highlight reel.. I also like seeing my teammates smile and enjoying themselves.

Saskatoon Wild. They were the second team to offer me a contract and I think since I turned it down they might want my head, thank god I have some tough teammates. Also, beating my buddy @diamond_ace makes the victory feel even better ;)

1 hour ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of July 15th

1. We're a few sims in now, not the greatest result but from what the Marlins have done, what excites you the most about the results? 

1. Puck possession, basically Rock. Can I call you Rock? Listen, we're winning that biscuit at drop and making getting opportunities. We just need to capitalize. I'm new to the team, but I wanna make an impact, and I feel we have. 

2. So far I'm happy but I have a lot of work to do. Winning 63% of my faceoffs is great but I'm not setting up my wingers like I need to. That'll be my focus in practice. 

3 I feel like Dirt McGert has that style that really mirrors my own and I love that. I can see us making some plays down the line

4. Winning, bro. Top shelf celly boys. All day. I wanna see my boys hitting that net and causing some damage. We're in a hole right now but we're gonna surprise some folks. I'm telling you. Watch out.

5. Need some bodies on the right wing. We're short by a lot and need some skills there. Bussy is great but can't do it alone.

6. I was promised top line mins and I'm getting it. Nothing to upset me. 

7. The win column

8. US BABY! Why would I say anyone else? We're coming for everyone! 

9. Hell ya boys! Ferda!

10. Walk with me In Hell! 

Edited by Fire_In_Babylon

7 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

Week of July 15th

2. I am off to a bit of a slow start but with time, I feel like I will be able to improve my performance and that will reflect in the stats.

4. To improve together as a team. These first few games are important because they show us all what we need to work on if we want to be more successful.

5. Goaltending. Our starter has done very well but we need someone who can take a few games in relief so not all the pressure is on him to perform 100% every game.

6. I have gotten a lot of ice time to start off so I cannot complain about that. I just have to justify that time with assists and goals.

9. Can't count us out just yet. The season is only a few games old so anything can happen. If we get hot at the right time, we could easily get in.

10. Only One King by Tomee Profitt. Really gets you into the mood to give it your all on the ice.

Week of July 22

1. San Diego is struggling to wins games. What needs to be done to start winning?

2. If you were to go on a short vacation where would you go?

3. With a new VHL GM spot opening up is there a VHLM GM you can see taking the spot?

4. How do you feel the VHL has done welcoming you into the league? 

5. Who do you hang out with most off the ice?

6. What do you think of the lines so far? Any changes you want?

7. What is 1 thing the team doesn't already know about you? Or your first win? (if your B. Grimaldi)

8. Have you been involved with any little fights with your teammates? 

9. Do you think we are going to pull the trigger and trade anyone?

10. What are your thoughts about Minnesota being 17-1-0? 

11. With all the talent in the VHLM who do you think is showing that they can play in the VHL? 

Edited by MexicanCow123

6 minutes ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 22

1. San Diego is struggling to wins games. What needs to be done to start winning?

3. With a new VHL GM spot opening up is there a VHLM GM you can see taking the spot?

4. Who do you hang out with most off the ice?

5. What do you think of the lines so far? Any changes you want?

6. What is 1 thing the team doesn't already know about you? Or your first win? (if your B. Grimaldi)

7. Have you been involved with any little fights with your teammates? 

8. Do you think we are going to pull the trigger and trade anyone?

9. What are your thoughts about Minnesota being 17-1-0? 

10. With all the talent in the VHLM who do you think is showing that they can play in the VHL? 

2. My favorite place to go on short stays is upstate Vermont. Stowe, Burlington, and a quik shot to Montreal. The food, the beer, and the bike trails make a fantastic combination! 

3. IR but I hope not.  He's a loyal and smart guy. He deserves the shot but I hope he doesn't get it! 

4. Been good so far. Everyone seems great and welcoming. 

5. We got ourselves a nice well rounded team now. Our top two lines are the best in the league, we just need some depth!

8. i'd say no, unless he gets an offer he can't refuse. And if it is that good an offer, I can't say I'd blame him!

10.Certainly not me, yet.... But Busser or Frobe are showing they have what it takes. 

1 hour ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 22

7. What is 1 thing the team doesn't already know about you? Or your first win? (if your B. Grimaldi)

11. With all the talent in the VHLM who do you think is showing that they can play in the VHL? 

1. It's a process. We're all essentially new to this. I'm not going to pinpoint one spot, I personally need to be more consistent. 

2. I'd like to go to Nova Scotia. I had some extended family there and they always say how nice it is. I'd like to grab a seafood meal on a beach. That'd be fantastic. 

4. It's been amazing. It's hard to say one moment has stood out more than the others, but it's all beem very positive.

7. One thing? That's tough. Umm, I really like spicy foods? Or i like my steaks very rare? I prefer dark chocolate over regular. 

10. I mean good for them. It's an impressive record. Do I think about it? No not really. They're a rival team, good or not I'm going to go out on the ice and play them hard like everyone else. 

11. Milan Griffin. The guy's skill set is ridiculous. He'll be in the VHL soon. 

1. Get pucks deep, control the zone, generic response #3, and get the body on the opposing team.

2. Vegas. Granted, I would need funds along with availability. (somebody hit me with that venmo)

5. The Ryans, mainly because I just have to remember one name. And Chadwick Gilbertson.

6. Loving the lines, hoping to see the massive amount of time I've been given yield some more results on my end, but that's something I gotta work on.

8. Not especially, but all of a sudden @Fire_In_Babylon gets a couple points, thinks all the Snack Packs in the fridge are his....

9. I think we can keep this core together and produce some quality wins, even go on a run. But I've been wrong before. If a deal sweet enough comes along and the GM needs to make moves, at this point we're all pretty understanding. So either way, we're good with it.

If you were to go on a short vacation where would you go?

I'd go home and visit the family, the weather in San Diego and Canada are very different and going on vacation to a place where I feel very comfortable would be my choice, maybe down the road if I get a big pay check I'll take vacations to fancier and more exotic places.

How do you feel the VHL has done welcoming you into the league? 

Everybody I've met so far has been nice and cant say I've had any issues, not overwhelmed with exposure but I'm happy with the contributions and mentions thus far. Lets just say I'm still thrilled whenever TPE is brought up.

What do you think of the lines so far? Any changes you want?

Not a whole lot to say about the lines, we don't have that many combinations to put together.. just happy we can get as much ice time as we can before a new crop of talents comes to town. Guess the only thing I could say would be that our coach has been working hard to try and get us a string of wins despite only have a minimal amount of players.

Have you been involved with any little fights with your teammates? 

That Frobe kid got on my nerves one practice and I threw a handful of snow in his face, he didn't like it. He got me back in the parking lot and we laughed it off, the tensions were high but it lead to a great practice that night.

Do you think we are going to pull the trigger and trade anyone?

I have a feeling something is going to happen before the season ends, I know the managers say they want us around for the long run but I know if they got the right offer somebody will be dealt. This is a new team and usually newer teams make the most movements.. I'm just betting with the odds.

What are your thoughts about Minnesota being 17-1-0? 

Whoever is part of their management team should be proud about winning that majority of games thus far, this is the season though and still tons of time for other teams to develop, yeah they are probably going deep in the post season but I wouldn't mark them as a sure winner right now.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 22

1. Nothing that we aren't already doing. We went into the season knowing we were going to just have to work harder than everyone else for a chance at the playoffs.

2. FIJI! The opposite side of the world.

4. My team has made me feel extremely welcome. Other than that? Meh.

6. Lines are solid, wish we had more depth so our guys can stay fresher.

9. I would be surprised if we make anymore moves, but I wouldn't put it past IR to shake things up.

10. Game respects game. I just hope for their sake that they don't become complacent.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 22

1. Score more goals. Tighten up our game defensively and make sure we keep the shifts short. Fresh skaters will beat tired ones.

2. I have always wanted to visit Germany. Go to Berlin for a few days, then pop down to Bavaria and just wander through the region. Beautiful country.

7. A few months ago I got snowed into a cabin and had to spend the night next to a fire because the power went out. Bit disconcerting, really.

8. Sent a hard slap shot at Grimaldi in practice that just barely missed his sack. He was not happy with me for a day or so. We got it worked out though.

9. Don't really know, to be honest. I try not to pay attention to rumors about who might be going where. I would rather concentrate on our performance out on the ice.

10. They're off to an extremely hot start. As of now they are definitely the strongest team in the league and we will have to put a lot of effort in to reach that level.

Week of July 29

1. When this Press Conference was made San Diego sits 8th with a record of 10-18-2. Can they climb up and finish top 5?

2. Who have you fought with most in the Looker Room? What started the fight?

3. If you could have one player come to the Marlins right now, from any team, who would it be and why? 

4. Should the Gm's be switching up the lines or do you like what there doing?

5. Say you won 30 TPE where would it go into your player?

6. How is the Lockerroom Atmosphere? Is there a sense of optimism or defeatism? Is it energized or quiet?

7. Is there anything the team as an organization could be doing differently to either improve your experience or promote your activity?

8. How well do you think your individual performance is going? Do you feel like it's contributing enough to the team? 

9. Why did you choose your player render (if you have one), any meaningful significance? 

10. What is your favourite pre-game food?

3 minutes ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 29

1. When this Press Conference was made San Diego sits 8th with a record of 10-18-2. Can they climb up and finish top 5?

3. If you could have one player come to the Marlins right now, from any team, who would it be and why? 

6. How is the Lockerroom Atmosphere? Is there a sense of optimism or defeatism? Is it energized or quiet?

7. Is there anything the team as an organization could be doing differently to either improve your experience or promote your activity?

8. How well do you think your individual performance is going? Do you feel like it's contributing enough to the team? 

9. Why did you choose your player render (if you have one), any meaningful significance? 

1. I think that this is not improbable. We had a late start with a lot of rookies, but we are hard workers. We're finding our game and the league should take notice.

4. I think with our lineup there isn't a lot of room for flexibility. I think it is going to be just about grinding out the rest of the season.

5. I need to work on my rebounding, then I think I would hit the gym and up my size.

6. LR is great. It's pretty active and usually optimistic.

8. I think that I am getting to the point where my contribution is starting to make a difference. As the guys skating in front of me get confidence in my ability, I think it allows them to be more aggressive offensively.

10. I like to play on a mostly empty stomach. Usually just a protein bar an hour before the game so I'm not hungry.

Week of July 29

5. Balance, skating, defense would likely get the brunt of the points but who doesn't like putting up points also? 

6. We're good. Optimism is very prominent in our room. We aren't getting down on ourselves or on each other. This room is closely knit and that's not going to change. 

7. The GM'S have been amazing. The experience is everything a young player can ask for. Even just talking to the guys is a great time. 

8. At first it was a little slow. I won't pull punches, I was inconsistent. The last 10 games however have been a totally different ballgame. At one point I had a 3 game point streak, that's always nice.

9. Not really, I wanted to see how good of a two-way offesnively minded d-man I could make. Someone comparable to Seth Jones.

10. I'm a big red meat fan. So usually a little steak cutlet and pasta with little bit of bolognese sauce.

Week of July 29

1. Well, when I joined the team my focus as winning face-offs. Possessions leads to goals, right? Well, no,it hasn't. Coach said I gotta do more. I gotta score, make some plays, wrap my head around the endgame, you know? I can do that.

2. I get along with everyone I guess. But one time this dude was eyeballing me. Just looking right into my eye. Then started yelling at me to stop staring! I wanted to break his god damn face for it. But then Bussy said I was looking at a mirror.... So, ya, no one I guess.

5. Oh man...well, I'd focus on getting any big skill up to 70, like skating, scoring, passing, discipline, leadership Anything left over go to Faceoffs. FACEOFFS!!!! WHOA! Scared myself....

6. The atmosphere? Kinda humid I guess, especially after a game. 

7. Like, if the team could like, make faceoffs count as goals, that would be awesome. Can they do that and if so,why aren't they? I'm pretty good at those. 

8. I mean, I;'m helping possessions but I'm -8 man. So I guess I gotta try and help elsewhere. My passing needs to improve. Big time. 

10. Biscuits. (laughs manically) 

If you could have one player come to the Marlins right now, from any team, who would it be and why? 

"Easy I'd get management to trade for Palazzo, probably wont ever happen because he is very valuable but if the team could pull it off I know we'd be a top team as soon as he gets in town."

Should the Gm's be switching up the lines or do you like what there doing?

"To be honest if I was our coach I'd be switching the lines every time I had a chance, sometimes that doesn't equal to good results but I like seeing different combinations, wingers on defense and anything interesting to get the edge of the other team."

Say you won 30 TPE where would it go into your player?

"I'd put it mostly into defense, skating and puck handling. My offense attributes are good enough for now."

Is there anything the team as an organization could be doing differently to either improve your experience or promote your activity?

"Nope, they've been great to us and help is a few minutes away if needed, the whole team comes together and that's one of the reasons we've been successful this past week."

How well do you think your individual performance is going? Do you feel like it's contributing enough to the team? 

"Right now I've been getting into the right positions and getting tons of opportunities thanks to my teammates, been really fun playing with Griffin. If I can continue playing like this the rest of the season I will.. our team is on the rise."

What is your favorite pre-game food?

"Caesar salad, spaghetti or cereal would be my choices, a lot of times I don't end up eating though because I run out of time with all the routines and reps I get in."

Edited by Frozen Block

28 minutes ago, Frozen Block said:

Should the Gm's be switching up the lines or do you like what there doing?

"To be honest if I was our coach I'd be switching the lines every time I had a chance, sometimes that doesn't equal to good results but I like seeing different combinations, wingers on defense and anything interesting to get the edge of the other team."

We tinker with them once and awhile don't want to mess with them to much sense were playing well! 

23 hours ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 29

1. Can and will. Our team continues to get better and everyone seems motivated to keep the building on what we've only caught glimpses of so far; A powerful squad.

5. DISCIPLINE. Apparently I can't smash people into the boards without the refs complaining about it.

6. Positive about 99% of the time. Even in the face of defeat, everyone usually takes away something positive, including point production and how close our team is to getting over the hump.

8. I'm pleased with how I've been performing lately, despite the time I've spent in the sin bin. The occasional apple is always nice, but I'm just here to introduce players faces to my friends: The Ice and my fists.

9. Doug Murray aka Crankshaft wasn't always the best player on the ice, but if he hit you... you didn't forget it. (Or you did forget it, but only because everything went black after it happened and someone showed you the replay later.)

10. Sheet metal. Really cleans out your system before a game. Apparently I have a lot of blood in my system, so that helps to get it out.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:18 AM, MexicanCow123 said:

Week of July 29

1. All it takes is getting hot at the right time. Until we are mathematically eliminated, I believe we can climb the ladder and finish in the top 5.

5. I would allocate 10 to defense, 10 to scoring and 10 to passing. Balanced, as all things should be.

6. To me it seems as everyone is very encouraging and optimistic. We all think we can get into the playoffs and we just have to perform to the best of our ability to do that.

8. It took a bit for me to get it all together but I am finally generating chances and finishing them when they come my way. If I can continue this, the path to climbing to the top 5 becomes that much easier.

9. I have Kevin LaBanc because I'm a Sharks fan and pretty excited to see what he can do this upcoming season.

10. I don't actually eat anything pre-game. What I do do is drink a full bottle of grape Gatorade. I've been doing it for years now.

Week Of August 5

1. What have you enjoyed most about this league? 

2. What could we improve to make your experience better?

3. If you had to choose 1 player that has helped us the most who would you choose?

4. What is 1 thing that you want the GM's to do? 

5. A constant debate on VHL is team forum activity and discord activity, its believed new players like discord better and don't use the site as often, is this true?

6. In your opinion whos the best player in the league? 

7. What team would you like to get drafted to at the end of the season? (Remember you are all Wavier Signings meaning you will get drafted into the VHLM, not VHL)

8. When you get drafted into the VHL what team do you want to go too?

9. Currently, San Diago sits 7th. 19 points away from 6th place. Can we overtake them?  

10. What is your daily routine on a game day?

Besides dominating faceoffs? Probably the comradery with my teammates. We were losing a lot but we never let that get to us. It feels good to have a locker room like that

Let the Marlins win more. Thats a thing they can do, right?

5. A constant debate on VHL is team forum activity and discord activity, its believed new players like discord better and don't use the site as often, is this true?

Yes. 

Me. Have you seen my faceoff wins?!

7. What team would you like to get drafted to at the end of the season? (Remember you are all Wavier Signings meaning you will get drafted into the VHLM, not VHL)

Um, I'm good in San Diego. I just invested into a barrnicle scraping business at the port with some guy named Shane Falco. 

San Diego man! Where else?!? ::smiles into camera::  

What do you mean there's no camera?

9. Currently, San Diago sits 7th. 19 points away from 6th place. Can we overtake them?  

Mathematically yes. But like, probably not.

Wake up, poop, shave, shower, eat a bowl of Captain Crunch, ride my stationary bike for a few miles, poop again, eat a bowl of Life Cereal, work on the biceps, shower, go to the game. Probably poop before the game too. I'm lactose intolerant.

What have you enjoyed most about this league? 

How much our team has grown since the beginning, started out wanting to join a weaker team to collect more points but ended up really enjoying my teammates and every time we get a win the locker room is turned up to full volume. 

What could we improve to make your experience better?

Nothing, we just gotta continue doing what we do best and get ourselves to the highest position possible in the standings, we have the jam.. just need to keep adding peanut butter.

If you had to choose 1 player that has helped us the most who would you choose?

I'm picking two, our assistant GM has been super active and his help is appreciated. Bruce Grimaldi, kid just keep getting better.. if we didn't have him between the iron we wouldn't be sitting in 7th place.

What is 1 thing that you want the GM's to do? 

Nothing, our GMs are smart enough to make their own decisions and I trust whatever moves they decide to make.

A constant debate on VHL is team forum activity and discord activity, its believed new players like discord better and don't use the site as often, is this true?

Yes and no, If I was going to check for updates I'd go on Discord and if I wanted to check out my player I'd go on the forums. Depends on the day, could be updating or just checking out how the rest of the prospects/teams are doing.

When you get drafted into the VHL what team do you want to go too?

Vancouver, I really like their logo and love the location as well, if I could get picked by them.. life made. If not, I'm down to join any team that is willing to give me ice-time in the future.

Edited by Frozen Block

5 hours ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week Of August 5

3. If you had to choose 1 player that has helped us the most who would you choose?

9. Currently, San Diego sits 7th. 19 points away from 6th place. Can we overtake them?  

2. To be honest, I was promised orange slices at the end of each practice and the fact that you guys haven't provided them is both problematic and worrying. I've had to go to the store after every praccy just to buy my own oranges and slices them up at home like a peasant. FIGURE IT OUT.

3. While Griffin's come into the team and definitely led an offensive boost in our game, I gotta give it up to the man in the net, Grimaldi. He's consistently stepping up his game, even notching shutouts in 2 of his last 5 while almost getting that 3rd shutty in a 1-0 loss in OT. Absolutely on one, especially after a shaky start.

5. I think the Discord activity definitely takes away from site usage, mainly because there's almost no reason to use the clubhouse when I have a direct line to my team/GMs. Outside of that, you lose side traffic that you might gain from people browsing the clubhouse and then take a gander at recent activity. BUT... I like the discord set up for ease of use muuuuuch better.

7. San Diego or bust.

9. Absolutely. It's going to be a slow grind, but we'll get there, a couple points at a time, hopefully.

10. I start every game day with a glass of 1 dozen raw eggs that I use to wash down my protein powder scoop that I ingest dry. Head the rink, throw up in my car usually, but I don't think that's related to the egg consumption. Probably just get car sick. Get to the rink, run a couple quik sessions of five finger filet in the trainer's office, then get ready to get my pads on, listening to the playlist "10 Hours of Darude - Sandstorm" while taping up. Strap on the helmet, head butt each member of the Defense for extra hype. Skate on to the ice, make eye contact with a member of the other team and don't break it for all of warm ups. My first check will always be on that player, regardless of puck possession. 

11 hours ago, MexicanCow123 said:

Week Of August 5

1. The community. Not just within the team but the league as a whole is interesting, fun and competitive. It's amazing really.

5. I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm on the VHL site as often as I am on discord. Discord enables us to chat in real time rather than sending DM's back and forth. It creates an atmosphere that promotes chatting. 

6. Milan Griffin. He's one helluva hockey player and a great teammate. He's a killer on the ice. 

7. San Diego. It's home to me, as long as I am in the VHLM I want to be in San Diego. 

8. It doesn't matter to me. Of course being in Vancouver (closer to home) would be awesome but at the end of the day I just want to be drafted and prove to that team they made the right choice. That they re getting a good player. 

9. Absolutely. We're coming out and fighting with all that we've got. Don't count us out. 

10. Wake up about 8AM. quik breakfast usually eggs and a protein shake. A quik run on the treadmill then to the rink for morning skate, light bike ride then back to home/the hotel for a nap. Wake up about 3 hours before game time, head to the arena, start prepping my sticks, gear. Then an hour before I start getting ready, listen to music, watch game tape, warming up/light stretching, then get into the zone. Head out onto the ice and work.