Malmo Nighthawks Press Conference

:mal: Malmo Nighthawks Press Conference :mal:

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 8/15

1. Do you listen to music before games to hype yourself up or get focused?

2. Did you grow up watching hockey, or have you only recently gotten into it?

3. Do you enjoy rivalries within sports, or do you not care for them?

4. Do you think a potent offence, or a rock solid defence is more important to a team's success?

5. What is your biggest hockey related fear?

6. If you were to play a sport other than hockey, what would it be?

Oh yeah, I love listening to a variety of stuff to get my pumped up for big games. I am a big Linkin Park fan, I find their music gets me pretty amped up before puck drop.

Oh yeah I've been watching hockey since as  long as I can remember. My grandpa was a huge Leafs fan and back when I was little I used to always watch HNIC Leafs games on Satrudays with him. I've been a diehard Leafs fan ever since.

Oh a good sports rivalry is the best, and that doesn't just include hockey. When you add some  underlying animosity to a matchup, things can get really fun to watch. Sports rivalries create the best theatre.

4. Do you think a potent offence, or a rock solid defence is more important to a team's success?

I think you need both to be a true championship calibre team, but that being said, I think you need to start with a good defense. Keeping pucks out of your own net always gives you a chance to win. Defense wins championships.

I guess that the Leafs don't win the Cup in my lifetime. And to be honest it's a real possibility as they've pissed away the best window they've ever had to win one over the past few years. Besides that though I've seen and experienced pretty much rock bottom in hockey fandom. It can't get much worse lol.

Baseball. I am a big baseball guy. It's a total 180 from hockey. A slow, methodically paced game. But it's a great game  and there's a ton of little intricacies that make baseball great.

1 hour ago, hylands said:

1. Oh yes, heavy rock or pump up rap/rock genres.

2. I grew up watching hockey, I was fortunate to go to a handful of NHL games, and hundreds of WHL games! 
3. I enjoy rivalries a lot. Only sad part these days is lots of rivalries don’t seem to be consistent. 
4. I think a potent offence, but it’s very close. 
5. Puck to the head. And of course I also mean not the helmet part😬

6. Soccer for sure, which I did play growing up!

1. Do you listen to music before games to hype yourself up or get focused?

No. I listen to the podcasts and comments that I used to hear when I was playing for Toronto and Calgary, telling me how much I sucked. I don't need any more motivation than that. 

2. Did you grow up watching hockey, or have you only recently gotten into it?

I'm still not very into it to be honest. I've only just aligned myself to a team. Go you Rangers of New York City, America. 

It depends on the reason for the rivalry. If it's just a player with a big mouth talking shit then I'll get involved. If it's from something that happened 50 years ago, just move on already. 

They are both equally valuable, but as a forward, you always need to score more than your opposition to win. Still love you defensive dudes! 

Fear is just weakness leaving the body. I fear nothing. 

6. If you were to play a sport other than hockey.... 

Rugby(league or union). I only stopped playing 2 years ago, but I'd go back in a heartbeat. 

6 hours ago, hylands said:

1.  Yes, both.

2. Grew up watching it, go nucks go

3. Yes, the drama keeps things spicy and interesting.  Always nice to have storylines.

4. Defence, but obviously a solid combination of both is best.

5. Skate to the face.... and missing the playoffs by 1 game.

6.  Basketball or Tennis!

On 8/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, hylands said:

1. Definitely. A variety of rock that gets the blood pumping with maybe a smattering of pop/electronic/techno -anything with a good beat.

2. I grew up watching hockey. My earliest memory in watching the 80s Oilers in the playoffs on TV (MacTavish crashing into the net for a goal) but a few years later we moved back to BC and I became a die hard Canucks fan.

3. Rivalries for sure have their place in sports whether they are organic (play each other often) or geographical. I think they increase the intensity for the teams and the enjoyment for the fans especially when one team finally gets revenge on another (Canucks vs Chicago, 2011).

4. I think either - if the offense or defense is elite, they will be tough to stop. I think though that a creative, speedy offense can beat a solid defense but a hot goalie can can stifle a potent offense.

5. Probably a nasty career-endng injury especially knee or concussion related. So many good players' careers have been cut short by those kind of injuries.

6. I really enjoy tennis although I'm not great at it.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:19 PM, hylands said:

1. All the time, music is the number one thing I got going on when not talking to someone or discussing plays. Locker room, travelling, warm ups, etc. Always got music on and always got a proper playlist for it.

2. I would say I recently got into it but I have been into hockey for over 4 years now, ever since then it's been one of my favorite sports and I truly love it with all of my heart ever since.

3. I do love rivalries in sports for the stories of them, how they started, how important games are and more. I don't like when rivalries make one side look terrible or gives them permission to do terrible things. Granted I always focus on rivalries in the VHL here just for the fun of it, that's why I'm always so serious in Davos games.

4. Offense honestly. Defense is always important but there's only so much you can do with it. Defense is a wall that cracks with every hit, if we don't have offense we can't win the game.

5. Without a shadow of a doubt, my biggest fear is getting cut by a skate, doesn't matter where I am easily terrified of that. I've seen the pictures, I've heard the stories... would rather not deal with that.

6. Baseball. Hockey and Baseball are my two favorite sports and if I didn't have one I'd go to the other.

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 8/22

1. We clinched playoffs!! What are you doing to make sure you can keep up the intensity as the season winds down?

2. It's our spot to lost at the top of the league, do you think we can keep it?

3. Any books that you would recommend?

4. I just finished watching Ted Lasso, have you watched any good TV shows lately?

5. If you could choose one company to be sponsored by, which would it be?

6. It's game night and it's your turn to choose the game. What are we playing?

19 minutes ago, hylands said:

1. We clinched playoffs!! What are you doing to make sure you can keep up the intensity as the season winds down?

4. I just finished watching Ted Lasso, have you watched any good TV shows lately?

1. Grinding that TPE/continuing to max earnnn

2. I think we can, we've kept it nearly all season.

3. Rich Dad Poor Dad

4. Nah, way too busy this summer.

5. Nike

6. Ass hole the card game, or Halo on console.

Edited by v.2

3 hours ago, hylands said:

1. Staying active and continuing to rack up tpe!

2. I think we can as long as we keep our heads in the game.

3. The Harry Potter books are much better then the movie I find, it lets my imagination run wild haha

4. Outer banks is pretty good on Netflix. Might not be everyone’s style of show.

5. Nike or adidas.

6. Monopoly.

Muffbeav is biding his time, knowing Odinsson and Telker have emerged as dominant scorers on the team but being ready if the team needs him to step up.

The competition will be tough, but the team was strong before picking up Kaberle and has been consistently dominant since.

I don't know how to read.

Ran through Better Call Saul (and then did my 10th watch of Breaking Bad after) recently.

Muffco. We specialize in ferris wheels.

Gotta be yahtzee.

I keep reminding myself that while regular season success is great, it is just a means to an end. We are taking care of business in the regular season but the real job begins in the first round of the playoffs.

I honestly think we can. We have beaten the toughest teams in the league. There's nobody I would peg as our "kryptonite". So I don't see us going on any major slides before the season finishes. Plus we have a pretty nice point cushion to work with.

It's been awhile since I read a book.  The last book I read was Ready Player One by Ernest Kline, it's a fun read. I'm into this anime/webcomic called Tower of God that is pretty interesting right now, not technically a book but its a lot of reading!

DUDE NO WAY!!!!!  I JUST WATCHED ALL OF TED LASSO THIS WEEK TOO!!! ITS SO FUCKING GOOD!  ROY KENT, ROY KENT! HE'S HERE ! HE'S THERE, HE'S EVERY FUCKING WHERE!!! Man I LOVE that show it is so damn good.  I also started watching Heels, a fictional wrestling tv show produced by Stephen Amell. 

That's an interesting question. Maybe Uber so I can get free rides wherever and whenever I want haha.

Oh man I loveeee games. Board games, computer games, console games... all of it. If we are talking board games, I really dig a game called Wingspan. Or alternatively I'd go with Teraforming Mars. Both fun strategic board games.

7 hours ago, hylands said:

1. Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm going to be trying to earn as much TPE as possible and increase my skills on both ends of the ice.

2. Absolutely. Even with trades, I don't think anyone can overtake us.

3. Anything by David Gemmell (heroic fantasy), Anthony Ryan (fantasy), Stephen Lawhead (historical/mythical fantasy).

4. I watched the first episode of The Stand but haven't picked it up again. The first season of The Boys was pretty good.

5. Tim Horton's

6. Classic EA Sports NHL! Maybe '95 on SNES

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 8/29

1. There’s only about a week left in the season, are you already looking ahead to playoffs?

2. What’s one thing you’ve disliked about your performance this year?

3. The NA conference is looking like it goes down to the wire. Do you have a prediction for who comes out on top out there?

4. Do you think Malmo can be the first team to score 300 goals in nearly 20 seasons?

5. Are you superstitious? If so, do you have any good luck charms?

6. We’ve just won a game against a rival in their own city. Do we go out on the town and rub it in their faces or go respectful and keep the party for the long journey home?

1. There’s only about a week left in the season, are you already looking ahead to playoffs?

As much as I want to look ahead, I think it is important to stay focused on the task at hand. For now, that's competing in every game of the regular season. 

2. What’s one thing you’ve disliked about your performance this year?

It seems my scoring touch has kind of vanished. It's only a minor gripe, as my playmaking has seemingly found a new level this year, so it all evens out I guess. 

3. The NA conference is looking like it goes down to the wire. Do you have a prediction for who comes out on top out there?

If playing over there for the first few seasons of my career taught me anything, it's that you don't sleep on the the Bears. They always seem to find a way to get results.  So I thnik they will finish strong and inevitably go on a deep playoff run.

4. Do you think Malmo can be the first team to score 300 goals in nearly 20 seasons?

Yes I do. Our forwards have been nothing short of dominant this season and if they just do what they've done all season for another week or so, I can definitely seeing us his the 300 goal plateau. 

I am superstitious in the sense that you can jinx shit in sports by saying shit out loud lol, which I know is ridiculous, but still. I don't have any good luck charms though.

6. We’ve just won a game against a rival in their own city. Do we go out on the town and rub it in their faces or go respectful and keep the party for the long journey home?

I have always liked to keep things as classy as possible in my career. It's a crazy league, you never know when you might end up being teammates with some of these guys down the road. 

4 hours ago, hylands said:

6. We’ve just won a game against a rival in their own city. Do we go out on the town and rub it in their faces or go respectful and keep the party for the long journey home?

1. Only a week left? Man, time flies! I'm looking forward to the playoffs but only looking ahead in the sense of improving as much as possible so I can make as big an impact as possible. The focus has to remain of the rest of the season. The home stretch is important!

2. My offensive output. Now, I'm happy that I'm still a point-per-game, but I was hoping for more improvement. Fortunately, we have many offensive players to pick up my slack! Also, I'm not happy that I'm not leading the league in hits.

3. Yeah, it's tight. I think I picked Chicago at the beginning of the season so I'll stick with them.

4. Oh yeah, that's only 3 goals/game we have to score. No problem! Warsaw may be right behind us though.

5. A bit. I look over my Hit List before every game.

6. I think it's fine to celebrate a bit but you don't want to do anything that gives the other team fuel for the next time you meet.

Time flies I guess. I'm not even thinking about the playoffs yet. There's still a few games to go in the regular season so that's my focus.

The slow start to the season along with some inconsistency. The point total is nice but I'm not impressed with the other aspects of my game.

No. I couldn't care less about the North American Conference.

As my pessimism kicks in for the fourth time already today, I see us falling short. STHS doesn't like teams breaking records.

Yes, as displayed by my desire for people to stop talking about Odinsson FFS. As soon as articles came out mentioning awards and point totals etc, he slowed down. It wasn't much to ask, but apparently some members couldn't help themselves. As for good luck charms...just maintaining radio silence about my player.

6. We’ve just won a game against a rival in their own city. Do we go out on the town and rub it in their faces or go respectful and keep the party for the long journey home?

You guys do whatever you need to do to celebrate. I'm headed back to the hotel to prepare for the next game. The end of season is the time for parties and shit.

We have a pretty big lead in the standings for how much of the season is left, but until we've clinched the Victory Cup, these regular season games still mean something. Besides, my job is to just go out there and play to win every game. We don't know who we're going to be facing in the playoffs, so there's nothing really to look ahead to at the moment. So no, I'm not looking ahead to the playoffs quite yet.

This is an easy question. The biggest disappointment was how long it took me to get my first points of the season. I definitely had a poor attitude in the locker room. I was very down about it, though my teammates were very encouraging. With how well we were playing, it was hard to celebrate with my team. I finally got my first point in our 13th game, but it still wasn't until our 27th that I scored my first goal. I've been scoring more since then, and the team is still killing it. The season has definitely gotten more fun for me, now that I can feel more like I'm actually part of the team.

Seattle has the edge at the moment, and their remaining schedule looks easy enough that I think they can hold onto that spot. Recently, they have been losing some games that they probably should have won, so there is definitely still a chance that they fall. They need to win their games against Vancouver and New York.

I absolutely think we can and will. We have 11 games left and need just 31 more goals. I think there's a decent chance that Warsaw also reaches that mark.

Nah.

If our travel schedule has us staying in town, I see no reason for us to not celebrate. We can be respectful about it, though. Don't rub it in anyone's faces or disrespect them and their town.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:10 AM, hylands said:

1. Very excited to see how playoffs go. Can't wait!

2. Just the fact that Moscow has been losing.

3. Seattle should take it.

4. HELL YES! Amazing to see!

5. Not superstitious, I am a little stitious..

6. stay humble and party at home.. Unless they be talkin shit then all up in their faces...

On 8/23/2021 at 8:40 AM, hylands said:

1. Yes 100%

2. Inconsistency, multi point games were always met with cold streaks. 

3. Bears

4. Yes, would be amazing and super unexpected.

5. Nah not at all

6. Save the celebrating for the playoffs.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:10 AM, hylands said:

1. Yeah I was and I’m very excited now!

2. I would’ve like a few more shots blocked, but I can’t complain overall.

3. It looks like Seattle ran away with it a bit, which doesn’t surprise me all that much.

4. We did it! Which is awesome. Another team got over 300 too I saw, but we had more 😁

5. In this league yeah it can make you a bit superstitious, but all I can do is keep adding tpe haha.

6. Go respectfully, you never know when you’ll run into them in the playoffs.

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 9/5

1. We won the Victory Cup! What are you feeling right now?

2. What do you think was the key to our sustained success over the course of the regular season?

3. How do you prepare for the playoffs? Same as usual or do you change things up?

4. Our first round matchup is the winner of Prague vs Davos. Who do you think takes that series?

5. Are you the type of person to take a day of rest after a big win, or are you straight back in the practice facility the next day?

6. We’re doing a little team bonding while on a road trip. What fun activity do you suggest we do?

It's a great accolade for the team, and it signifies just how special of a year it was here in Malmo, but me and the rest of the lads in the locker room all know that's not the trophy we are after!

2. What do you think was the key to our sustained success over the course of the regular season?

I think two things, the undeniable chemistry throughout our lineups combined with our fantastic depth. I love how a different person could step up on any given night to secure us a win.

3. How do you prepare for the playoffs? Same as usual or do you change things up?

I am a creature of habit so I try to to change things up to much. An early pre-game meal and nap and then get ready for warmups with some tunes in the locker room!

4. Our first round matchup is the winner of Prague vs Davos. Who do you think takes that series?

I think both teams are pretty solid, it should be a great matchup. If I had to pick a winner I think I would give a slight edge to HC Davos, but it really could go either way.

5. Are you the type of person to take a day of rest after a big win, or are you straight back in the practice facility the next day?

I do think rest in a huge proponent of success. You need to take care of your body to perform at the highest level, and rest is a massive part of that. 

6. We’re doing a little team bonding while on a road trip. What fun activity do you suggest we do?

I think it's always fun to take the boys out and do some late night karaoke. You can learn alot about your teammates when you're drunk in a karaoke bar at 2 in the morning!

I'm simply happy that the regular season has finished and we now move onto the business end of the season. Of course I'm happy for the team and all involved. I'm just focused on playoffs now.

I think the roster that was assembled for this run at the Cup and the strategies used have seen us become a powerful team.

I tend to leave things alone and just prepare like it's a regular season game. 

4. Our first round matchup is the winner of Prague vs Davos. Who do you think takes that series?

I think Davos will have too much firepower for Prague. With Tsujimoto leading the way, they are a tough opponent.

It depends on how I'm feeling to be honest. Most days I'll be keen to get to the facility, but occasionally I'm a fan of sleeping in.

Fun? I don't think I know the meaning of that word.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:20 AM, hylands said:

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 9/5

1. Fantastic! It was an amazing season and we should all be proud of what we accomplished. But there's also a sense of excitement and purpose as we embark on the next step of our journey - to get to the Continental Cup!

2. Well, at first glance, our record-setting offense is an obvious reason. But our defense was also one of the top in the league as well as our goalies were top-notch so being an elite all-around team was a key. Honestly, though, I really think the key to our success was the team. We have a great group of guys, no one quit, no one tailed off, everyone did the best they could all the time and individually and as a team, we had the franchise's best season due to that - a team that played for each other.

3. Same as usual. Maybe just tweak a thing or too, watch some video on the opponent, brush up on the little details. And get lots of rest. You want to be ready for those long games and series.

4. Well Davos took it and we've already started with them. I was a bit surprised Prague went down so easily but Davos has an underrated offense, that's for sure.

5. I might rest if I got some bumps but if I'm feeling good, I'll keep practicing. It's all about listening to your body.

6. A nice big hike. It gets us outdoors, some fresh air, and a bit of exercise.