Malmo Nighthawks Press Conference

On 8/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, hylands said:

:mal: Malmo Nighthawks Press Conference :mal:

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 9/5

1. We won the Victory Cup! What are you feeling right now?

2. What do you think was the key to our sustained success over the course of the regular season?

3. How do you prepare for the playoffs? Same as usual or do you change things up?

4. Our first round matchup is the winner of Prague vs Davos. Who do you think takes that series?

5. Are you the type of person to take a day of rest after a big win, or are you straight back in the practice facility the next day?

6. We’re doing a little team bonding while on a road trip. What fun activity do you suggest we do?

1. I feel very grateful honestly. Last season I started on a team that was last place in the league and I'm ending this season on top of it. This wasn't a one person job however, everyone here on the team did such a good job and I'm proud and grateful for them all.
2. The key to our success was to keep pushing and improving, even if we were scoring 5 goals a game, top of the league's leaderboards and top in the standings, we just kept going. We didn't stop pushing forward, we didn't get comfortable we just kept firing on all cylinders.

3. Well first gotta start with the playoff beard, keep myself aware of any superstitions and more but mostly I like to keep things the same until stuff hits the fan. I'm always a fan of change so when something goes wrong, I'm usually the first to start changing things. So say I perform badly in the playoffs, I'll push harder and change things up during practice.

4. I'm going to have a lot of fun against Davos, hopefully another fight doesn't break out.

5. I'm half and half. I take things slow to rest and recover but I don't lose complete focus on what I'm doing exactly.

6. Anything but UNO, that's how trades and team brawls start happening.

It's nice, but obviously we still have work to do. No one talks about the Victory Cup winners, unless it's in the context "wow, they dominated the regular season but fell flat in the playoffs."

2. What do you think was the key to our sustained success over the course of the regular season?
We have been able to consistently score goals. It's that simple. We were held to two or fewer goals just ten times. But also when were were able to score, Artem Tretiak was almost always good enough to get us the win. We were 47-3 in games that we scored four or more goals.

3. How do you prepare for the playoffs? Same as usual or do you change things up?
It's a little different, playing a series as opposed to playing one game against a team and then playing someone else. Mostly it's the same, though. I go into every game preparing the win just as I do every game in the regular season. I prep for the weaker teams during the regular season the same as I do the stronger teams, so the fact that we only play against the best in the playoffs doesn't actually change anything.

4. Our first round matchup is the winner of Prague vs Davos. Who do you think takes that series?
Well that series is long over with, but I think I actually predicted Prague. Neither team was playing that great going into the playoffs, Davos having lost 6 of their last 9 and Prague losing 5 of their last 8. I thought maybe Prague's greater experience might have been the difference in the series.

5. Are you the type of person to take a day of rest after a big win, or are you straight back in the practice facility the next day?
I'm okay with taking a rest when it's needed, or when I can afford to. But I don't reward myself with a rest just because we got a big win.

6. We’re doing a little team bonding while on a road trip. What fun activity do you suggest we do?
My first suggestion is going to be an escape room. I'm a puzzle fanatic, and it's the kind of thing where we are forced to work together. It's a good exercise in team bonding.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, hylands said:

4. Our first round matchup is the winner of Prague vs Davos. Who do you think takes that series?

1. Feelin like im ready to win the more important cup!

2. Chemistry, and a solid job by management assessing our needs

3. Come to the rink a bit earlier to get into the right mind state

4. Get rekt Davos.

5. Depends on how my body feels.

6. Chess

On 8/30/2021 at 8:20 AM, hylands said:

1. It feels really awesome! But there’s more work to be done.

2. A good roster balance, combined with a great goaler duo and dynamic offensive group.😁

3. Hype pump up music!

4. Well Prague took it, but before I would have said it’s really close. 
5. I’ll rest the same day, then back out the next day, unless it’s the playoff final win or something lol. 
6. Monopoly, it’s a long bus ride.😝

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 9/12

1. We split our first two games with Warsaw with Artem Tretiak making 50 saves each game! What do we need to do to lighten his workload?

2. What's your prediction for our series with Warsaw? Winner and number of games.

3. Were you happy with your first round performance? How would you grade your effort (A, B, C, D)? (No F's cuz we won!)

4. What is your favorite thing about playoff hockey?

5. What is your preferred thirst quencher of choice on the bench?

6. Who do you think will win the NA Final (Seattle or LA)? Who would you rather face?

1. We split our first two games with Warsaw with Artem Tretiak making 50 saves each game! What do we need to do to lighten his workload?

I think that's where I can step in and be better.  So far we haven't had an answer for Chris Hylands on the Predators, so I think if we can find a way to neutralize him, that would be a great start!

2. What's your prediction for our series with Warsaw? Winner and number of games.

I think this one goes the distance, but I believe in our team and I think Malmo takes it in seven games. 

3. Were you happy with your first round performance? How would you grade your effort (A, B, C, D)? (No F's cuz we won!)

I am super happy with how we performed as a team, but on a personal level I feel like I need to step it up. I haven't made much of an impact offensively, but luckily this team is stacked with quality players and we have lots of people who have stepped up each night to get the job done.

Two things, I love the intensity and I love the desperation. Every lead change is so dramatic, the tension in a close game is palpable. There's truly nothing like playoff hockey.

5. What is your preferred thirst quencher of choice on the bench?

If we are talking specifically thirst quenchers, I would probably go with orange Gatorade, love me some of that shit. Purple G2 is a close second!

6. Who do you think will win the NA Final (Seattle or LA)? Who would you rather face?

Well Seattle has quite the track record of performing in the playoffs, so I definitely won't bet against them. I kinda hate LA, so I wouldn't mind facing off against them in the Finals should we be able to get there.

How about we keep possession of the puck and limit Warsaws opportunities? 

Warsaw in 7. The Malmo dream will be crushed probably. 

No I wasn't. Failed to live up to the hype from others and will grade myself a C. 

When it ends. The pressure is ridiculous. 

Nothing. Hydrating is for the weak. 

Seattle will win and as mentioned before, Malmo will be watching from the stands, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Predators. 

I think what we would have needed to do would be slow down our game, but that would be a hindrance to our offense as well. I think ultimately we did what we had to do, and just recognized that Artem is the better goalie and would be able to handle the onslaught that the incredible Warsaw offense would put on him. He was a huge part of our series win and was obviously the hero in Game 7.

Even though we went 4-1 against them in the regular season, I came into the series knowing it was going to be very tough. Warsaw has had an even more explosive offense than us the last quarter of the season or so. I had us taking it in 6, but I'm not surprised it went down to the wire.

I'd give myself a C-, maybe as low as a D+. I'm not giving myself any leeway for being a rookie. I only had one point, a goal with 8 minutes left in a game we were already up by two. I guess that kind of sealed the deal, so it wasn't a meaningless goal with enough time left for them to come back. I did have 23 hits while only drawing two penalties, though, which is why I'm not flat out giving myself a D. I played my role on the team well.

The intensity. Every game means something, so players are fighting tooth and nail out there. Guys can say they play to win every game in the regular season, and that's what I'll say too, but down the stretch, even as we were fighting for a Victory Cup, it was just a matter of playoff seeding for us. The games were not as special.

Arctic Blitz Gatorade

The Stars had been a real surprise to me this season, but I had Seattle taking it. We did play Seattle better in the regular season, but this is playoff hockey, and Seattle in the playoffs scare me.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, animal74 said:

1. We don't need to lighten the load, he's unstoppable.

2. Malmo in 7

3. A. We had some challenges with Davos. We adjusted lines, and battled our way to a win. It doesn't matter how it's done, as long as we move on that's an A.

4. The weight of every game.

5. Water

6. Seattle... lol.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:09 PM, animal74 said:

1. BLOCK SHOTS!  He's been a beast for us all playoffs.

2. We won, but it was a stressful series that ended up going 7 games.

3. My player went pointless in the first round so I'll give him a C.  Luckily he has figured it out for these later rounds.

4. The intensity, atmosphere of the arena, and compete level... Oh yeah winning is sick too.

5. Gatorade all day, Glacier Cherry flavour (white).

6. Doesn't matter as we're now facing da bearz.  Redemption time.

On 9/7/2021 at 3:39 PM, animal74 said:

1. We played better defence and closed it down even more at the end. 
2. Well we won, I would’ve said 7 games at the start, and could’ve gone either way.

3. Shaky at the start, but we get by with a 4-2 series win overall, so so that’s alright. B- for me, but we stepped up from that for sure.

4. The excitement of going on a big run, and when the rookies start to see that momentum, they often step up to the plate too.

5. Glacier cherry Gatorade.

6. probably L.A., just given Seattle’s pedigree in this age, but we got Seattle. We’re almost there, and I know we all have it in us to pull through and get us the 🏆

On 9/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, animal74 said:

1. We just need to be more solid in our defensive zone and not allow those shots to get through.

2. I actually predicted Malmo in 7 in the fantasy zone so there you go.

3. I would say the team all around got a B. Got the job done, and built the intensity over the series well.

4. I just love how everybody leaves everything out on the ice every game.

5. Water all day baby.

6. I was hoping LA would take it, and both of those teams are very good so it's tough to choose who I would rather face.

Continental Cup Final Edition

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 9/19

1. Seattle has come back to make the series 3-2 after they made some line changes. What do we need to do to seal the deal?

2. In spite of what happens, who has been Malmo's playoff MVP?

3. Should we win, who should I pass the Cup to first?

4. Who is your IRL favorite NHL team? Who is your favorite player on said team?

5. What have you enjoyed most about our Cup run so far? 

6. Malmo veterans Kamenov and Dayne are retiring at the end of the season. They are 3rd and 6th respectively in franchise regular season and playoff scoring. What is a fitting way to celebrate their Nighthawk careers?

1 hour ago, animal74 said:

1. Seattle has come back to make the series 3-2 after they made some line changes. What do we need to do to seal the deal?

6. Malmo veterans Kamenov and Dayne are retiring at the end of the season. They are 3rd and 6th respectively in franchise regular season and playoff scoring. What is a fitting way to celebrate their Nighthawk careers?

1. Match the energy.  This is a game of chess right now, so we need a counter.

2. I'd have to say it's been a tie between Tretiak and Odinsson. -- These guys have been forces all year long.

3. I think it should go to either Kamenov or Dayne, as it's his final season.  Or perhaps to Tretiak, then the old dudes.

4. Canucks, Boeser.

5. The run has been turbulent at times, but the comradery in our LR and the hype within the team has been the best part.

6. Obviously winning them the CUP!

Honestly, I think we don't worry too much about them. Stay true to ourselves, stick to what we have already done to get us this far, and the rest will take care of itself.

Wow it would be hard to narrow it down to one player, but I think Odinsson or Tretiak would both be great choices. They've really came through for us in big spots during this run we're on.

I am a big believer in letting the veterans get to touch the Cup first, so Kamenov and Dayne should get a chance to embrace the Cup first in my opinion.

Sigh.... the Toronto Maple Leafs. I've been a lifelong Leafs fan and honestly, it's starting to wear me down lol. I'm finding it hard to find any reason to enhoy this upcoming season. Mattews could score 100 goals this year and it really doesn't mean shit until they do something in the playoffs. My favourite player is Jack Campbell right now lol.

A couple things. First is that we don't panic. We've stayed really even keel and kept our eyes on the prize. And also I love that we've gotten so many contributions from different players over the course of the playoffs. Everyone is chipping in!

Well obviously no better way to celebrate them then winning the Cup and honouring them during the Cup Parade back in Sweden! They've both had amazing illustrious careers, what better way to put a cherry on top of your career then to go out a champion?

Well whatever we did, it worked. I think there were some minor PP unit changes or something, so good work coaching staff.

Probably Tretiak, but everyone on the team played their part to make sure we lifted the trophy today.

All of our retiring players deserve their own little time with the cup. They have served the team well.

According to the survey that I did earlier this year, it's the Rangers. As for player....let me google...Kaapo Kakko. He probably sucks.

The confidence we had throughout the team, that we'd achieve our plan to lift the cup at the end of the season.

Just retire their jerseys! A fitting tribute to their time with Malmo.

Win won more game you frickin' dingus. It's that simple.

It's tough to say. Artem has come up huge in some games, but at times, he's been downright bad. Two bad games in the finals, but he played very well in all four wins. Gunnar would be the other candidate in my eyes. He led the team in both goals and assists. In the finals, he either scored or assisted on over 60 percent of our goals.

So many options. I say give it to Kamenov first. You have to appreciate the players like him, who stick it out with one team for their whole career. He's had a very steady career for this team, and he stepped it up in his last games during these playoffs. He's not going to turn many heads out there, but he's been important to this team.

Minnesota Wild. I gotta say Kaprizov; he's a blast to watch.

Unfortunately, I've been very busy working extra hours the last couple weeks, so I haven't really found much time to enjoy the locker room during these winning times. That's usually the best part, though. Being able to share in the excitement with your team. I really liked that we never trailed in a series (aside from after the first game, but we were 1-1 on the sim). We only had one game where we were on the brink of elimination, so there was never that feeling of dread that we were going to be knocked out. It was pretty smooth sailing, even though ever series went at least 6 games.

I don't know, man. Obviously winning the cup on the way out is the way to go, and we'll honor them in the parade. Kamenov is in his seventh season with the team. He and Dayne are two of the three players who were with the team during the first cup run. Wakaro, the other, might be done in the VHL as well, even though he has one more season of eligibility. Obviously his numbers haven't been quite up there with Kamenov, but he's been with the team his whole career as well.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, animal74 said:

1. A simple swap of Sosa and Muffbeav proved to be just what we needed!

2. Going into the finals I would undoubtedly say Tretiak, but Odinsson stepped up when it mattered so it's a tough call.

3. I would pass it to Kamenov, he deserves it for sticking through for his entire career.

4. My favourite team is the Sharks. Logan Couture is my favourite player.

5. I feel like we showed everybody we can be a defensive team in the playoffs. In the regular season we were offensively amazing, but the playoffs really proved we were the real deal.

6. I've got a little something planned, just you wait.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, animal74 said:

1. We outshot them and kept them away from the net in the third period of fake 6 especially.

2. Odinsson without a doubt, 32 points in 19 games in stunning.

3. Kamenov and Dayne next, they’ve been great and so loyal these past seasons!

4. Calgary flames and iginla back in the day, but tkachuk now haha.

5. How positive the locker room has been and it really shows how far we’ve come.

6. They get the cup for an extra day each and do whatever they want with it!

Answer all 6 questions for 2 TPE for the Week ending in 9/26

1. What did you think of the Awards Show this year? Malmo won quite a few awards!

2. The new season is already upon us, how are you ensuring there's no Cup hangover?

3. Do you think we have what it takes to go back to back?

4. Which team do you think has had the best off-season?

5. What has been your main focus as you prepare for the new season?

6. What did you do with the Cup when it was your turn to have it?

1. What did you think of the Awards Show this year? Malmo won quite a few awards!

It was pretty fun to see Malmo represent so hard during the Awards Show. It kinda felt like one last nod to the awesome team that we had last year. Also I was very pleased to see 5/6 players from the VHL All-Rookie team were products of the S78 Yukon Rush, a team that I took part in putting together... I felt very proud.

2. The new season is already upon us, how are you ensuring there's no Cup hangover?

Well I was quick to report to training camp last week, so I am getting the work in, the same as I always have. A player like me starts to show signs of depreciation around this point in my career, but luckily I am prepared for such things :D

Absolutely. Even if it is without the marvelous Gunnar Odinsson, I believe in our crew. I'd love to have Boom back, but if it's not in the cards then we gotta keep going on about our business either way!

It's hard to say. I think London may have gotten a steal at 11 in the draft, taking Moon aka Nils Godlander. That kid seems like one of the more promising first-gens in recent memory.

Honestly, things have been crazy this offseason since we had such a deep run,, it feels like there's been a real quick turnaround from the playoffs to now. I am just trying to stay healthy and in shape to be ready for when we make another deep run!

I took it back to my hometown of Stratford and had a little party for the community down at City Hall. Its been quite some time since the Cup had been brought back to Stratford. It's a hockey town through and through though, so I know it meant alot to the folks in the community!

2 hours ago, hylands said:

1. Was cool to do it on stream, and guys on our team cleaned up, but we all know the sentiment behind the GMOTY award.

2. Still max earning, and getting shit done early.

3. If we keep the core then definitely.

4. Moscow had a nice offseason.  I expect them to be a threat to us.  Also Toronto for loading up on those first round picks in the draft.

5. Over the offseason I trained to bring my strength up a bit, but now im gunning for that 99 Skating and Puck Handling.

6. Ate Jiggs dinner out of it.

I was out of state when the awards show went down, but I’m super proud of the boys for raking in as much as they did. Well deserved all around!

By winning a different cup, all aboard the Cologne Express baby this train has no brakes!

I think it’s going to be tough, a lot of depth moving out to the E and regression hitting some of our vets will hurt, but we’re not going down easy.

I’m only just starting to pay close attention again so I honestly couldn’t tell you, I don’t even know who’s on half the teams lol.

Starting to up my earning so I can be a truly impactful player once I return to Malmo.

Big pasta guy over here.

A little disappointed with the presentation to be honest, after seeing the effort put into the forum presentation in previous seasons. Glad to see the team rewarded with a few award wins after a tremendous season by the Nighthawks.

Just keep training hard and prepare for the season in the right way. We have a Cup to defend.

It's always tough but we have a great roster and I don't see a reason why we can't be there again at the end of the season.

Malmo. Odinsson is still in a Nighthawks uniform. Ha, no. Not sure because my focus is Malmo, not the other scrubs teams.

Becoming slightly more physical and letting others know that there will be more to me then pure points this season.

Nothing. It just sat on the dining table until it was time to pass it onto the next guy.

On 9/20/2021 at 4:26 PM, hylands said:

1. I thought it went great. Everyone walks away with two cups, and then plenty of individual awards, especially Odinsson with 4!

2. Not changing anything from mentally, to how I prep for games from last year.

3. Definitely, but it won’t be easy.

4. Moscow grew into quite the powerhouse team from the EU like us in terms of on paper, and think they are top 3 potential for sure.

5. Do whatever it takes to help the team succeed!

6. I took it to the top of crows nest mountain in Alberta.