Start of a New Life [2/2]

Start of a New Life is a recent interview done by Toronto News analyst Rachel Snype with recently drafted Trevor Van Lagen.

Rachel: What was draft night like for someone not being selected until the final round, despite the seemingly limitless potential you have?

Trevor: It was a nervous night for sure! I was at my parents with a few of my friends and family. At first we were pretty confident I would be drafted but as the rounds went on there was definitely a sense of nervousness in the room. But finally being drafted by Halifax 21st 84th overall was a huge excitement!

Rachel: Where did you envision yourself being drafted?

Trevor: I knew I wasn’t going to go too high as I really didn’t seem to have that much hype around me going into it but I was thinking I would go a few rounds earlier than I ended up going for sure.

Rachel: What were your initial thoughts of the team that drafted you, the Halifax 21st?

Trevor: Honestly, I didn’t have a huge preference to where I was drafted, as I really was more worried about getting the call regardless but when we heard it was Halifax that drafted me I definitely was quite excited.

Rachel: You go from being a top of your class athlete in high school to an underrated rookie in a new league. How does your preparation change heading into your first season?

Trevor: Honestly, it doesn’t change much. It’s never easy getting into the VHLM as it’s become quite a competitive league. I think just being drafted shows a lot of faith in me and my talents and I believe in myself that my drive and determination will make me a successful player as early as this year.

Rachel: Projections have you starting the year in a second/third line role with plenty of power play time. Any comments on this?

Trevor: Lines haven’t been determined yet so really I could slot in anywhere. Lineup position is not such a big deal to me as I am just ready to start the year and let my play determine my role.

Rachel: What are your thoughts so far being a part of the Halifax 21st?

Trevor: So far it has been great! I feel like their my family already and I’ve only been around them for a week or so!

Rachel: Anyone from the organization that have been extra helpful in helping you settle in?

Trevor: Really so many of them have been so great to me but Thranduil especially has been very willing to offer his advice so I’ve leaned on him a lot to get my career started.

Rachel: Hockey is always about the stats these days so let’s talk about expectations for your rookie season.

Trevor: I know it’s cliche but I try not to look too much at personal stats. What will define my success this year is the amount that the coaches trust me on the ice and how much I am able to help this team win.

Rachel: Well good luck this season! We are excited to see how you do in your first year and we’ll have to catch up again later in the year.

Trevor: Thanks for having me Rachel!

545 words

Review:

A very nice short and concise interview. We gain valuable insight to your player's personality and he seems like a fine bloke. I would suggest adding a title and/or a picture to really make the presentation of the Media Spot more attractive. Overall this piece was well written and informative and a lovely read. Hope to see more of these in the future! Keep it up! 

Review - Love to see new members complete media spots! Your career is just beginning, and you'll have plenty more to write about as you get adjusted to the league. I felt the questions were pertinent, and your responses showed some developed backstory (which I always appreciate)! Don't be afraid to break up longer phrases with appropriately-placed commas, and I'd recommend using a smaller font size for your next article as it can be a bit overwhelming to see on mobile. Good work. =]