Riga Reign Press Conference

1. Kyl Oferson has fought a total of 9 times this season (2 W, 2 L, 5 T). Is he acting as an enforcer, or does he just really like fighting?

I really like fighting
2. Patrik Tallinder must've had his largest group of fan girls behind the team bench yet during last night's game. How is he so ridiculously good looking?

I don't know man, those Swedish genetics...

3. Aw man, Disney on Ice did a bunch of fancy tricks during their show yesterday and our ice is all messed up. Who's our Zamboni driver again?

I don't know, I've never met him to be honest

4. Tate was watching the entire team's kids yesterday and somehow got them all to watch movies for a few hours. What's your favorite kids movie?

Lilo and Stitch

6. Now that you've been here a while, what's your favorite Latvian food?

I don't think I've ever had latvian food

7. What's more ridiculous, boss's suspension bridge bed setup in his office or Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones's yacht draft room?

The yacht draft room for sure, it looks like a greenscreen

8. Okay, enough with the sim league stuff. We've been doing this quarantine thing upwards of five or six weeks now, how are you holding up in real life?

I'm just vibin

2. What forum improvements (games, etc.) from other leagues would you like to see in the VHL?

I think the forum is a great place and well thought out compared to other leagues I have been in. Change nothing.

3. Kyl Oferson is playing League of Legends again. How does that guy practice his hockey skills if he's off doing ranked games all the time?

I think he has a bot doing all his training for him.

4. It looks like Roque Davis has a strong case for Rookie of the Year. What's unique about his game?

I think he scores more points than the other rookies. Common sense.........

5. If any, what musical instrument would you want to learn (btw we're social distancing, no better time to learn than now)?

I would continue my life long journey with my upright organ.

6. What's the first thing you're going to do after this whole pandemic thing blows over, whenever that is?

I would hug a stranger. 

7. Someone keeps telling me about these "regression fighters" that players buy with their contract money... what in the world are people talking about?

I have no clue. Most likely snake oil. Stay away from that stuff.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, Renomitsu said:

1. Kyl Oferson has fought a total of 9 times this season (2 W, 2 L, 5 T). Is he acting as an enforcer, or does he just really like fighting?
2. Patrik Tallinder must've had his largest group of fan girls behind the team bench yet during last night's game. How is he so ridiculously good looking?

3. Aw man, Disney on Ice did a bunch of fancy tricks during their show yesterday and our ice is all messed up. Who's our Zamboni driver again?

4. Tate was watching the entire team's kids yesterday and somehow got them all to watch movies for a few hours. What's your favorite kids movie?

5. What's your favorite comfort food?

7. What's more ridiculous, boss's suspension bridge bed setup in his office or Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones's yacht draft room?

8. Okay, enough with the sim league stuff. We've been doing this quarantine thing upwards of five or six weeks now, how are you holding up in real life?

1. I think he’s just got the fighting DNA.

2. I mean it must be the Swede genes. Don’t know how else to put it.

3. I think the rookies take turns doing it. Whoever’s turn it is, good luck!

4. Bolt has got to be up there, and there’s probably a few more that I can’t think of right now.

5. Chicken noodle soup. I rarely have it, and it’s not even one of my favourite foods, but there’s something about it that’s just comforting.

6. Rye bread with butter. Simple, but always good.

• Commissioner

I think he's young and just trying to make a name for himself. 

Pheromones, lots of pheromones. 

Lion King

Chicken Pot Pie

7. What's more ridiculous, boss's suspension bridge bed setup in his office or Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones's yacht draft room?

The bed set up for sure. 

drunk what time is it GIF by Adult Swim

He is our enforcer now whether he likes it or not.

I even wanna make out with him, but he won't let me.

Shush Nyko is doing that now cause he can't do anything else.

Parent Trap.

CHICKEN WINGS!

None.

7. What's more ridiculous, boss's suspension bridge bed setup in his office or Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones's yacht draft room?

My yacht is bigger than his yacht.

Ehh decent, still working so that's good.

1. Kyl Oferson has fought a total of 9 times this season (2 W, 2 L, 5 T). Is he acting as an enforcer, or does he just really like fighting?e

Think it may be just the intensity level he plays at every game, sure he'll slow down and focus on scoring down the road. I say let him have fun if he is, it rubs off on the other guys and gives us momentum in close games 

Dude always says family secret whenever I ask him about his hair gel, I know that's the reason and one day I'll find out!

We have a Zamboni driver? There should be a new skill called jumping for all those holes left on the ice. If we do have one.. I'd like to know so I can kick his butt in gear :#%$:

The Goonies and The Land Before Time

Spaghetti is always delicious :)

Good, usually indoors so staying inside isn't an issue for me. Guess it sucks that a lot of food is sold out, that's about it though.. Just chilling

I think its definitely a little bit of both. Kyl wants to stand out and fighting gets that done but he is also there to protect his team-mates. Great to have someone like that on the team

I always liked the Toy Story series...anything from Pixar really.

I don't know if I can pick one but I usually follow the 3 p's for my favorite comfort food....Perogies, Poutine and Pizza

I tried Karbonade while out in Riga yesterday and it was delicious! Reminds me of schnitzel 

The draft room for sure but Jerry Jones has always been a crazy man who likes to flash his wealth

Doing well, working from home and making the most out of this situation

1. One little 'hazing' ritual we have here at Riga is scrimmaging with a skater and goalie swapped. What was your experience with this like?

2. Excluding current or recently-traded Riga Reign, who is your top forward in the VHL?

3. Same deal as #2, but defenseman or goalie?

4. If you had a choice of making a brand-new VHL team (or re-branding a current one), where would you put it and what would your mascot be?

5. Hackett's getting *old*. What's the most classic old man thing you've seen him do?

6. What's the most frivolous thing the refs have stuck you in the box for?

7. Who's going to represent EU in the finals? Who's going to win the cup?

1. One little 'hazing' ritual we have here at Riga is scrimmaging with a skater and goalie swapped. What was your experience with this like?

I absolutely lit up Shush Nyko when it was his turn in net

2. Excluding current or recently-traded Riga Reign, who is your top forward in the VHL?

Probably Jaguar even though he had an off season

Hardest goalie to beat is Hextall for sure, and he's gonna be around my whole career

4. If you had a choice of making a brand-new VHL team (or re-branding a current one), where would you put it and what would your mascot be?

We'll keep Riga, but call it the Hedgehogs and our mascot is pretty obvious

Apparently I keep fighting, they should just let me and stop giving me penalties

Us for sure :)

3 hours ago, Renomitsu said:

5. Hackett's getting *old*. What's the most classic old man thing you've seen him do?

1. I think my save percentage was like .001, so I’ll pass on being a goalie in the future.

2. HHH or Jaguar, probably.

3. Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen and my answer for goalie would’ve been Eagles, but since he’s on Riga I’m really not sure. Maybe Bernard.

4. I’d like to see one in Bern, Switzerland. I know they have a pretty good team there in real life, and Switzerland could be a good place for a new VHL team.

5. I saw him reading the newspaper the other day. I didn’t even know we still got the newspapers around here.

7. The Riga Reign, and for the second one, the Riga Reign.

1.  What do you make of Riga's playoff performance so far?

2. The deal that brought over Marleau and Burn. Worth it?

3. What is Moscow's weakness? What do we need to exploit?

4. Do you have a playoff ritual? Please no murder.

5. Pick an anthem for your player to step onto the ice for. What song is it?

6. Make a 3-line poem titled "Ode to God Mode" about @Greg_Di

Round 1 got off to a rough start but we managed to pull back and have a great series...so far against the Menace it has been a back and forth battle but I think we will come out on top

Hell yes, they bring great depth and leadership. We needed them both to make a run for the cup

No real weaknesses to be hoenst but we must exploit that second line if we are to be successful

I usually just do soccer keep ups right before its time to get into the locker room

Come with me - Cosmic Gate

(terrible at poems, makes no sense but hey at least it rhymes?)

Eagles stopped 41 shots
He was in all the right spots
God mode enabled, the menace will be afterthoughts

• Commissioner

What do you make of Riga's playoff performance so far?

Riga has struggled more than anyone would have liked.

The deal that brought over Marleau and Burn. Worth it?
For Phil yes, me not so much.

What is Moscow's weakness? What do we need to exploit?
Just score more goals.

Do you have a playoff ritual? Please no murder.
A calzone

Pick an anthem for your player to step onto the ice for. What song is it?
Virtual Riot - Pray for Riddim

Make a 3-line poem titled "Ode to God Mode" about

No

No

No

Edited by Acydburn

1.  What do you make of Riga's playoff performance so far

We fought hard and definitely played better than anybody expected but it wasn't enough, good luck in the finals Moscow!

1. The deal that brought over Marleau and Burn. Worth it?

Yes because they gave us an extra edge we desperately needed near the end of the season and in the playoffs. Since Burn doesn't have a contract at the end of the season the deal will lessen and even things out if he decides to leave but if a new contract is signed watch out for the Riga Reign next season

1. What is Moscow's weakness? What do we need to exploit?

Losing focus, when we get going we fly around like mini rockets but as soon as we lose focus all of our structure shuts down and we become sheets of paper. The goaltender is always the best player to exploit, barrage of shots at any tender will leave him gassed at the end of the night, that should be our first thought whenever we enter the zone

1. Do you have a playoff ritual? Please no murder.

Well I've been marking down on my stick a little X for every tying goal we get so I can remember how much fight we have as a team when things get though

1. Pick an anthem for your player to step onto the ice for. What song is it?

Lil Baby - WOAH

1. Make a 3-line poem titled "Ode to God Mode" about @Greg_Di

Greg stopped, dropped and flip-flopped,

At the end of each game not of his stops could be never be topped, 

Oh watch out! Get out of the way! Greg needs to plop plop

Edited by diacope

1. What do you make of Riga's playoff performance so far?

Well, I don't think we expected to make it far in the playoffs, but I think the EU conference finals are a solid mark after we set expectations. Still looking for that first cup though...

Hard to say. I think they're great in the LR and we made it further in the playoffs than expected, so I'm going to say yes.

Unfortunately it's a bit late for that, but I think we showed that we can control them a bit with solid, physical checking. Our scoring has always been a little limited though.

Nope. I treat it the same as all of my regular season games.

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

6. Make a 3-line poem titled "Ode to God Mode" about Greg Eagles.

Haikus count, right?

Blocks some shots I guess

We took a game off Moscow

Greg Eagles: God Mode.

1.  What do you make of Riga's playoff performance so far? Playoffs haven't been great, but we will win soon, I am sure of it.
  2. The deal that brought over Marleau and Burn. Worth it? Yes, always good to see new blood.

3. What is Moscow's weakness? What do we need to exploit? Well, since the series is over, I'd say we need to go back in time.

4. Do you have a playoff ritual? Please no murder. Murder.

5. Pick an anthem for your player to step onto the ice for. What song is it? Hammer time 

6. Make a 3-line poem titled "Ode to God Mode" I do not know you. You seem quite nice. Let's go and meet on the ice?

On 5/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Phil said:

1. Idk, it wasn’t ideal, but I guess it could’ve been worse.

2. Definitely. We’re a team that wants to win, and adding good players obviously helps with that.

3. I honestly don’t know, their roster is solid at all positions. Whatever Seattle did is what we should’ve done lol.

4. Chicken before every game. Chicken after every game. Chicken before bed, chicken when I wake up. I eat lots of chicken during the playoffs.

5. Any 645AR song. 

6. Okay, here we go.

Like an eagle, he is high above the rest.

Strike a deal, he dons the Reign’s crest.

Was once competition,

But now one decision,

Has given us one of the best.

Shoutout to hedge for making that trade too.

1. The S72 VHL Draft brought us DeFenz Mann, Jay Jones, Bobby Wyman, and Joe Jacks. Any words for them (or for your other draftees)?

2. Davos has made some pretty significant moves through the offseason, with a half dozen early draft picks and picking up Jerry Garcia & Acyd Burn. Do they make the playoffs this season?

3. Okay, early predictions - who takes the NA Conference title?

4. Who do you think the breakout player of S73 will be?

5. The offseason and draft often bring up memories of minor league teams. What's your fondest memory from when you were back in the M?

6. Why do you think the VHL was able to play through an entire season despite the pandemic?

7. I'm pretty sure the Riga board of trustees is a literal zoo. Which animals did Hedge choose to trust with Riga Reign decision making?

44 minutes ago, Renomitsu said:

1. The S72 VHL Draft brought us DeFenz Mann, Jay Jones, Bobby Wyman, and Joe Jacks. Any words for them (or for your other draftees)?

2. Davos has made some pretty significant moves through the offseason, with a half dozen early draft picks and picking up Jerry Garcia & Acyd Burn. Do they make the playoffs this season?

5. The offseason and draft often bring up memories of minor league teams. What's your fondest memory from when you were back in the M?

6. Why do you think the VHL was able to play through an entire season despite the pandemic?

7. I'm pretty sure the Riga board of trustees is a literal zoo. Which animals did Hedge choose to trust with Riga Reign decision making?

1. I think they were all great picks at their positions, and I'm excited to see them in Riga one day!

2. I think so, they've got quite a few good young players, along with the new additions from the offseason.

3. Vancouver, they've got a great team.

4. Kyl Oferson, or maybe Jimmy Spyro because he'll be a starter now.

5. It's gotta be the S69 playoff run. Too bad Saskatoon had the team of the century there, but we made it to the finals regardless.

6. We all wore the fish bowl helmets to act as face masks. Not sure why any other leagues didn't think of that.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Phil said:

1. Well you lost so you suck.

2. Good deal Burn is good.

3. Seattle, no way ti exploit it.

4. Drink water every hour.

5. Obviously real american.

6. No thank you

Good luck handling all the bad passes

Maybe? EU is just such a weird conference

Seattle again unfortunately

ME

Either the final couple game race between me and Mack for Osborne, or the 6/7 shot win vs. Yukon in the playoffs

Cause we don't care about no social distancing

Welcome to the Riga Reign and good luck next season! 

Yeah I can see them being a threat down the road but it's going to take time for all the new parts to get used to each other

For some reason I think Calgary is going to have a big year, gotta go with them

Getting my first contract offer, big props to the San Diego Marlins for help craft me into the player I am today

Not sure maybe were all dead and all of this is just a fantasy..

An owl, they're smart and since they stay up all night they could get more work done ;)

Edited by diacope

Mann is a steal GOAT.  The others seem to be practicing but missing out on some no effort opportunities that could get them into the VHL next season if they wanted to move up next year.

Who cares?  Its Davos.  They could of drafted Mann but the blew it for a failed post-season run.

Van says a lot of people are they in NA Conf?

Some rookie who practiced a lot last season but didn't quite show up on the stats sheet.

Last season Lynx Cup W

We play from inside away from people?  Only way VHL dies is if internet breaks.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:24 AM, Renomitsu said:

1. Just keep doing what you're doing! You got picked for doing something right!
2. I hope for their sake they do lol
3. Honestly, no idea
4. One of ours :)
5. My time at 21st was very fun!

6. Penguins don't get sick
7. Do insects count? I feel like ants are pretty good at team management

Work hard, Get your tasks in every week and you will make it to the big leagues in no time.

I don't really look at other teams. My main focus is getting Riga into the cup finals

Vancouver again....they are still a solid team even with some of the changes they have been going through

Will have to be Spyro from the Wolves. He has been waiting a long time to be starter and it will be his time to shine.

Playing with Tate and Marleau with the Marlins. Always good times and we were reunited in Riga

has to be a hedgehog right? can't go wrong with more hedgehogs!