Riga Reign Press Conference

1. 12 games in and Riga has 7 wins, are you happy with the outcome or feeling any level of concern?

I think we are on good pace to start the season. Everyone is playing well

2. New York has 10 wins and 2 losses, are they the real deal or will they come back down to Earth?

Great start for NY. A Red Guy has been playing phenomenal but I think they will even out by the end of the season. Seems to happen to every team.

3. Out of the new expansion teams, what team could you see making the playoffs and perhaps having an impact?

Warsaw for sure, they have been playing pretty well as of late.

4. Any surprises when it comes to the stat leaders so far? Both positive or negative. 

I took a quick look and I would say Uhtred out of Seattle. He has almost matched his career high in goals and its only 18 games into the season

5. What should Riga focus on when it comes to the trade deadline, do you see any areas of need?

We have a lot of Centers on the team, we may need to look into a winger if possible

7. What's your preferred jersey number?

I usually go with 22. Have been using that number for every sport I play

1. It's now 23 games in for us and we are at the top of the middle of the pack.  I'm happy with the early state of the team expecting things to get better as the season goes on.

2. They are now 18-5-1 and are definitely legit.  They lead the league in goals for and fewest goals against.

3. They are all doing fairly poorly this season no expectations.

4. I haven't followed the league as closely and I have in the past.  Not really sure one way or another maybe just New York team wise in the standings.

5. We are in 4th place in standings with 4th most goals and 4th fewest against.  It seems we are in good shape if we just progress as a team.  You can always score a few more goals though.

6. We are going back to my place I'm going to cook dinner for the team.

57 minutes ago, Tate said:

1. What does Riga need to do to finish 1st in the league when it comes to the standings?

2. What player has been a surprise so far this year in terms of statistics?

3. What team has surprised or disappointed in terms of standings?

4. Which expansion team makes the playoffs? 
5. If you’ve been watching, what do you think of the NHL games so far?

6. What’s your favourite team?

7. If you could add any NHL player to Riga, who would you choose? 
8. What’s the best ice cream flavour?

1. Everyone just needs to get on the same wavelength, which I think is definitely happening!
2. Our losses, we have too many!
3. New York I guess? I have no idea
4. LA!
5. I haven't been watching, NBA started up
6. Probably has to be Toronto just cause hometown!
7. Tie Domi. I know my back would be watched after
8. Vanilla, its the basis of all flavours!

11 hours ago, Tate said:

1. What does Riga need to do to finish 1st in the league when it comes to the standings?

2. What player has been a surprise so far this year in terms of statistics?

3. What team has surprised or disappointed in terms of standings?

4. Which expansion team makes the playoffs? 
5. If you’ve been watching, what do you think of the NHL games so far?

6. What’s your favourite team?

7. If you could add any NHL player to Riga, who would you choose? 
8. What’s the best ice cream flavour?

1. I think we need to take the weaker teams more seriously. Feels like a lot of our losses are against teams that shouldn’t be beating us.

2. Jerry Wang, definitely a big breakout season for him.

3. I thought Calgary would be better.

4. LA maybe.

5. I’ve enjoyed them a lot, as a hurricanes fan I can’t have asked for much more than I’ve gotten so far.

6. Carolina Hurricanes

1. We need to score more goals every game than we let up for the rest of the season.

2. I knew stats are down league wide but I'm surprised at my own player this season.

3. New York thought they'd be good but 1st all season doing work.

4. None
5. Sad Pens lost already

6. Buffalo Bills

8. Bonus: Choc Chip Cookie Dough

9 hours ago, Tate said:

1. Why the F do we keep winning one game and losing the other?

2. Trade deadline is around the corner, do we add and if so, what position?

3. What's your highlight of the season so far?

4. Any surprises so far in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

5. If you could take away one NHL franchise and replace it with a VHL one, which teams would you swap?

6. If you were taking a person to McDonald's who had never been there before, what would you recommend?

7. Is it better to be THE star player on a losing team, or one of many key cogs on a winning team?

8. Have you ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming?

1. The 1-1 curse won't leave us alone.

2. I'm pretty confident in our current group, but it never hurts to add. Not sure what position, maybe a forward?

3. Seeing the rookies get their first goals and points.

4. Pittsburgh, Toronto and Edmonton have a combined 37.5% chance at Lafreniere. YIKES. As a Canes fan, the fact that there's also a 37.5 chance that he lands in the metro is scary.

5. Either NY with the rangers so that there can be a Canadiens/Americans rivalry, or Seattle with the Panthers so that they have two brand new teams at once. Maximum chaos.

6. Big Mac. I mean it's a classic. Maybe add some McNuggets too.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:33 AM, Tate said:

4. Any surprises so far in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

5. If you could take away one NHL franchise and replace it with a VHL one, which teams would you swap?

6. If you were taking a person to McDonald's who had never been there before, what would you recommend?

7. Is it better to be THE star player on a losing team, or one of many key cogs on a winning team?

8. Have you ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming?

1. The sim gods disapprove of us
2. No idea we seem stacked so they'd be lucky to join us
3. 10 shots and 0 made it in oof
4. Haven't been watching
5. Take out Toronto Maple Leafs with the Helsinki Titans
6. a McSurf N' Turf. Get a quarter pounder and shove a filet o fish inside
7. Many cogs! Teamwork makes the dream work baby!
8. Yes?

1. Cause we win 100% of the time 50% of the time.

2. Not likely unless we want to mortgage any future assets for a chance at repeat and then fall off after season.

3. First goal of my VHL career was a special moment.

4. Already knocked out Pens in first pre playoff round lame.

5. McGangBang you take a McDouble split it down middle and put in a chicken sandwich then put McDouble back together.

7. We just want to win baby.

Just how it goes, we did this last season and won the cup. I think were fine

I think we should add something, maybe a winger to help out with some scoring

I think anytime I get a shutout. Always nice to get the win for the team and not let any in

Phoenix and replace it with one of the NA ones like DC or Seattle.

Poutine! Poutine is actually pretty good with the Mcdonald Fries!

I think one of the key kogs. Being a star player without anything really limits your chances of HOF

31 minutes ago, Tate said:

1. Despite our consistent one win and one loss record, we find ourselves 3rd in league standings, do we have what it takes to go all the way?

2. If we win back to back cups, what will you do to celebrate?

3. What's the ideal matchup for our first round of the playoffs?

4. What attribute is your number one focus for your player when it comes to your build? Why?

5. What Riga teammate do you hang out with the most during your downtime? What do you like to do?

6. Who on Riga could you beat in an arm wrestle? What's your strategy?

7. Rock, paper or scissors?

8. What's two foods that no one would think to eat together, but are awesome when combined?

1. For sure, it's just about the defence and offence showing up at the same time.

2. I don't even know in the slightest, one was crazy enough. I guess we'll have to find out.

4. Scoring, because Tallinder was always supposed to be a scoring winger. I'd say Jeff Skinner and Cole Caufield were the the play style I was going for.

5. Me and Sasakamoose hang out quite a bit. We usually bring some of the other Riga guys to whatever events the city has at that time.

6. Pengu, you can hardly call those flippers arms. All I have to focus on is not letting my hand slip cause his flippers are slippery as heck.

7. Rock

1. Despite our consistent one win and one loss record, we find ourselves 3rd in league standings, do we have what it takes to go all the way?

converting chances to goals. all of them 60+ shot games yet we can't buy a 2-0 sim smfh. Also a bit more tight defence helps.

a week long sleeping marathon obv.

...Davos? for some reason they don't look convincing to me so far.

4. What attribute is your number one focus for your player when it comes to your build? Why?

not sure. lemme say, rebound control; this is a popular skill to update.

whoever is the skinniest guy in our team so I can scare him with my fatass look.

paper, and I prefer green papers. lots of greens.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:15 AM, Tate said:

5. What Riga teammate do you hang out with the most during your downtime? What do you like to do?

8. What's two foods that no one would think to eat together, but are awesome when combined?

1. Continue to raise our pitchforks and blame the engine
2. I will fill a hot tub filled with tuna and get some sexy birds up in my hot tub NOOT NOOT
3. Hah any of these sucker teams aint a match especially if we're winning them all
4. Scoring. Apparently thats how you win games?
5. I don't understand English that well, and none of my teammates speak Penguin. So...
6. My flippers dont stand a chance against anyone
7. Rock
8. Tuna and Carp

Yes, obviously with talent like Codrick Past on the team we can easily go all the way 

Eat a buffet of flans

Davos, it's always fun playing against Jet Jaguar and Soren Jensen, and now I can beat both at the same time

Defense, its the most important part of the game

Kyl Oferson, I watch him make questionable plays in League

Probably Pengu his arms are insane, no strategy could beat him

1. We made the dance and anyone on the floor has a chance to win in the end.

2. I'll write an actual media spot and claim my outstanding doubles week.

3. Us vs Anyone b/c it don't matter who we play.

4. Scoring because everyone is now claiming its OP I'm not liking how maxing scoring and ignoring other attributes has worked out.  Thankfully next season I won't have to worry about scoring anymore.

5. There is a lot of Riga players who play League of Legends its a locker-room staple.

8.  Mayo & Peanut Butter?

2 hours ago, Tate said:

1. Playoffs baby! How does it feel knowing that Riga has set a new VHL record for consecutive playoff appearances?

2. What gives us the edge going up against our first round opponent, Moscow?

3. What player(s) should we focus on neutralizing when it comes to Moscow? 
4. With the season almost over, who is your choice for MVP (in the league or on Riga)?

5. Any surprises in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

6. Out of the remaining teams, who wins the Stanley Cup?

7. 2020 has been an up and down year for most, what was a positive moment for you this year that helped make it a bit better? 
8. You win a draw and are gifted the choice of any car/vehicle you want, what do you choose and why?

1. It feels great, hopefully we can keep it going for awhile longer too.

2. I would say defence and experience. Obviously a few of the Moscow players have won it all before, but they also have quite a few new faces who have never won a cup.

3. I mean I would say Bernard if that counts. He's coming off another impressive regular season, so we'll need to get to him early.

4. Hard not to give it to Eagles, but I'll go with Tate for our team this season. What a season he's had.

5. I wasn't really expecting Vancouver to beat St Louis, but that happened.

6. I'm gonna say Colorado.

1. As former GM of Riga for quite a while I'm always happy to see success here.

2. XP We've already done it before a team of winners here.

3. Goalie: We should spike his food so he has to spend the games on the toilet.
4. Riga G1

5. We do not speak of the league without a team Penguin in it.

6. I'd like to see Las Vegas with Fleury back in net.

On 8/23/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tate said:

1. Playoffs baby! How does it feel knowing that Riga has set a new VHL record for consecutive playoff appearances?

4. With the season almost over, who is your choice for MVP (in the league or on Riga)?

7. 2020 has been an up and down year for most, what was a positive moment for you this year that helped make it a bit better? 
8. You win a draw and are gifted the choice of any car/vehicle you want, what do you choose and why?

1. Feels good man! I've been a part of the organization with Marleau for 3 full seasons now. Looking forward to ending my career there too. @hedgehog337 continues to keep this team an omnipotent threat and glad I've won 2 cups over my history in the VHL with this organization. Let's make it 3!

2. Physicality. Moscows are a bunch of weaklings. It will be nice to crush through them. I'm hoping to average 6 hits/game in that series. Make them turn the puck over a lot and win the series that way.

3. @Victor's player Vladiqueer Slackoff. we neutralize him - we neuter-ize Moscow

4. For Riga, it's GOTTA be L-T! Tate has been the focal point of offense and defense, as well as helping Marleau out with the physicality! A big year for a big star! Congrats on eclipsing the 100-point mark, and capturing the Beketov Trophy, buddy!!

7. Personally, I somehow got a promotion and a pay cut. Although I'll be getting a raise in September, I think I'm the first person in the history of the world to get a promotion and a paycut staying in the same organization haha. Though the experience is amazing so it ain't all bad!

8. Audi R8 because it's fire. Although maybe the Aston Martin Vantage... because super fire:2020 Aston Martin Vantage Review, Pricing, and Specs 

On 8/23/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tate said:

1. Teamwork makes the dream work!
2. Our team depth is vast!
3. All of them.
4. Definitely someone in Riga should be MVP. Probably whoever has the most goals!
5. Nothing surprises me anymore
6. Don't care. VHL is all that matters.
7. Winning a ring by doing my part for the team! Also became a GM in some other league
8. a jumbo cargo plane to start a shipping business and making money. All the coke ... a cola I can ship.

Nothing special, we'll just beat it again next year

Probably our offense

Is anyone on their team worth neutralizing?

On Riga I'd have to give it to Tate for sure, with Hackett gone he's stepped up his game in a much needed way

Surprised the Canucks won tbh

I have to say the Canucks

Winning a cup in Riga

Audi r8, only car I can think of, liked it as a kid

Nice. We're witnessing the VHL history being written and Riga being the main part of it. How this couldn't be nice?

More balanced roster. They didn't have enough power at forward roster to make it happen.

Well, Bernard didn't have the most lucky playoffs and that was enough.

You. Making the offense chemistry actually click.

Yeah, the Nucks being an intersting story this year.

Tampa maybe? They banished their Columbus demons and doing fine against Boston. If they don't choke again, why not?

1. We confirmed Defenz Mann is a useless scrub and should get less minutes.

2. Helsinki b/c what is a Malmo?  And past bad blood with HelStinki.

3. Seattle & NY

4. Not a huge fan 

5. Myself I expected bad things after the regular season but 0 points ouch.

6. Got to get bodies on bodies.  Have a team of VHLers that stalk new members commenting on their point tasks, sending messages, and getting them into discord.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:26 PM, Tate said:

1. Round one done, what did we (you) learn from the first series against Moscow that will help us in the next round?

2. Who would you rather face, Malmo or Helsinki, and why?

3. What's your prediction(s) for the North American Conference? Does Seattle or DC advance? Does New York or Calgary advance/?

4. What do you think of the lottery tournament?

5. What player has surprised you so far this postseason, and why?

6. If you could help the VHL improve it's user engagement, what would you do?

7. Who do you predict will win playoff MVP when it's all said and done?

8. What's the best TV show that no one talks about enough?

1. I don't know if I learned anything new from the series, but my confidence in the team has improved even more.

2. I would've rather had Malmo because they're the weaker team, but Helstinki will have to feel our wrath instead.

3. A little late, but I'll predict the Conference Finals instead. I'm gonna say Seattle takes the NA title this year.

4. I don't mind it, it's a nice thing to keep players in rebuilding teams engaged.

7. Lincoln Tate.

8. Prison Break I guess, haven't heard anyone really talk about it too much before.