Team Building Exercises 1/11: An Interview with an Expansion GM [1/2]

Team Building Exercises: An Interview with an Expansion GM

Image result for elias Pettersson suit

This will be the first in a series of interviews with VHLM GM's as the season begins.

The VHLM's newest Expansion Team, the Mexico City Kings, are the brainchild of GM @Nykonax

I met with Nyko to discuss his hopes and dreams for the new team, the inspiration behind their creation, and plans for the future.

What inspired you to create a new team?

Well, last season when I was an AGM, I realized  that with all the new players declaring for the VHLM, we wouldn't have enough room to give them reasonable minutes and help them achieve their dream. So the new players pretty much inspired me to work on and create a new team.

Why the VHLM and not the VHL?

The VHL already had plans for expansion at the time to deal with the new influx of members, and already has a decent amount of space avalaible, although the league is shifting to a 9-4-1 mentality from the old 6-4-1.

What do you take into consideration when you sign new players?

When looking at the VHLM draft, and also signing waiver players, the first thing I look for is activity and motivation. If tehy are motivated, and pretty active I'm already high on them. Next thing is discord, discord is a major positive, as thats our teams primary form of communication, and I find that it helps keep players motivated. The 3rd thing I look for is if they have any other sim league experience, as these players know the gist of things, and can help out others. Now if I told you anymore I'd be giving away my strategy.

Any favorite rookies in the upcoming season?

VHLM I'm super interested in Chyrnoble, he's been great with his earning and build, and I feel like he can do great things for our team.

What team do you consider your natural rival?

Well, I got a couple. Naturally gotta go with the Ottawa Lynx, they are my old VHLM team, and also the team I was the AGM of. I'm having a friendly competition with Esso, and hopefully I can beat him. The other side is the other expansion teams, obviously want to do better than them.

Any plans to expand into the VHL?

Not at the moment, although one day I would love to have a VHL GM job (writer's note: keep your eyes open, VHL teams!), as an expansion team or even just taking over one. I'm not sure if they have any future VHL expansion plans, but it seems likely if this amount of draft depth keeps up.

What's next for the Mexico City Kings?

Well, hopefully a championship, but right now I'm just focusing on recruitment and keeping my players happy, so that we'll be in the right mindset for a championship, and being known as one of the better teams.

If you could add one player from the VHLM to your roster, who would it be and why?

Gotta go with the 6th overall pick, Phil Marleau. He's an active and motivated center, a position that were lacking on. He's proven himself in this league before, and in my opinion he'll be a stud. Our 1st line would be dangerous with him on it.

Do you have any advice for aspiring GM's?

For sure, I'd say show interest and stick with it. It my take a while, so don't expect to get one right off the bat. It can take a while, like Thranduil was an AGM for 6 months. Ask your GM questions, and apply for the smaller GM jobs like WJC GM and WC GM.

Thanks again to Nykonax for the sharing his thoughts and experiences as a GM!

627 words

TPE for week ending May 19, 2019.

Edited by HenrikZoiderberg

• 2 months later...

Review: Overall, this is just a very well written media spot. Everything is spaced very nicely, with useful bold to denote questions, and to separate the questions. The questions themselves are really useful, and I think do a good job to introduce the reader to the newest expansion team! Great job. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Team Building Exercises 1/11: An Interview with an Expansion GM [1/2]