Pottsville Inquirer Article, Juan Jaundice [2/2]

Jus

Excerpt taken from the Sports Column in today's issue of the Pottsville Inquirer.

If you have 32 hours to spare and don't mind driving about 2000 miles, you should take I-80W to I-94W, well past the Canadian border, and you will find yourself in the province of Saskatchewan. Keep going, and almost dead center in said province, you'll happen upon the sprawling city of Saskatoon. If you were so inclined to take this trek today, you'd land in the middle of said city in the middle of said province and find it buzzing with excitement and energy. The Saskatoon Wild are set to start their regular season contests tomorrow, and there is a lot to be excited about for Wild fans. But for now you may be asking yourself what does any of this matter to citizens of Pottsville, Pennsylvania? For those not in the know, the Saskatoon Wild are a team playing ice hockey in the VHLM, and our very own Juan Jaundice is their starting goalie. Yes, you've read that right. Juan has just capped off his first season in the VHLM and is set to begin his second tomorrow. On top of that, we've received word via Juan's family that he has been drafted by the newest VHL expansion team: The Malmo Nighthawks. This is very exciting news, and the young goaltender's mother, Janice, had this to say:

"Since the day Juan started taking hockey seriously that summer, we knew he'd be destined for something great. If we're being honest, he's never been the brightest bulb in the drawer. None of us are, really. But Juan? He works hard. I always told him, I'd say: 'Juan! Get that nose to the grind or I'll tan your behind!' and now it's paying off for him! Oooh, I'm just so proud of him! He is working so very hard and we know that this year, he's going to prove to himself that he belongs in the Victory Hockey League. We're all rooting for him, the whole Jaundice clan! His father had never even left Pennsylvania, let alone the country, until we went to watch Juan play. Just imagine the shock when he has to board a flight for Sweden! Oooh I can't wait!"

The Wild did not see their fair share of success last season, as growing pains with Juan and an inexperienced core of players led to a disappointing record of 34 wins to 33 losses. Juan was last in the league amongst goalies completing a full seventy two game season. All is not lost, though, as a fresh season brings a fresh start for the Wild and their Goaltender. The Wild look to capitalize on a large trade made mid season last year, as well as a solid draft to start this year. Juan himself has been diligent in practice and wants to make the most of this chance. His family states that they hear from him only once a week, usually Sunday evenings right after a primetime show regarding kingdoms and dragons. Janice states that he recaps them on the week's training in between discussing the episode.

When reached for comment, Juan replied "I think this is amazing, honestly. I'm living a dream and I could not be more grateful to the people around me, not only here in Saskatoon but also back home in PA. It means the world to me just to know the old Coal Region is in my corner, especially as it looks like there may be some world traveling soon!"

589 words, claiming for week ending 5/12

Edited by Jus

• 2 months later...

Review: I really love the perspective of the media spot! I think more should incorporate such an in-character point of view. I think if you maybe add a title to outline it a bit better and maybe a picture could add to the piece as well, it could get better, but otherwise great job!

Review: I respect the hell out of this media spot considering I went through the same process myself. The interview with Juan's mom was a great touch as was the entire interview style post. It may have needed an image or a gif or something so it had an effect on the eyes but other then that, great content!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Pottsville Inquirer Article, Juan Jaundice [2/2]