Jack Hughes or Kappo Kekko

Gooningitup

Okay so in a STHS Sim GM league i am the GM an own the first overall pick in the upcoming entry draft. I am in a serious rebuild tore down my entire roster this year moving veterans. I am for all intensive purposes the Ottawa Senators of my league. Though my prospects are not as highly touted im probably deeper than they are.

My top prospects/young NHLers are like this

Klim Kostin

Rasmus Andersson

Flilp Gustavsson

Jake Oeteinger

Joesph Veleno

Luke Kunin

Matt Grzleyk

Pierre Oliver Joseph

Sean Day

Ryan Mcleod

Yegor Rykov

Ben Gleason

Vincent Hinastroza

Jayce Hawerlyk

Jordan Martinook

Noah Gregor

As you can see some good assets, but no legit high end players. Veleno, Kostin only guys projecting to potentially be top end players at forward. I have 2 high end goalie prospects, plus Gillies who seems to have bust at this point.

I will once again be competing for the 1st overall pick next year, which projects to be franchise center, Alex Lafierrene(sorry for the bad spelling). But its a lottery so i could not win. However if i had Hughes and him would likely have to deal one. Versus if i nabbed Kekko now to get an elite tier winger to play with him.

What would you do in my position? Given my current prospect depth and knowing i will be once again in the race for 1st overall. 

Edited by Gooningitup

Hmm.. that’s tough. The center pool after Lafreniere is deep.. I know Cole Perfetti is a projected elite talent at center (unless it’s different in your sim league) and you could probably snag him if you miss on Lafreniere. Byfield as well. I’d maybe go Kakko. Put him on the other side of Veleno. The center’s are deep the following draft. May not snag a big time wing. I think the best are Holtz and Raymond? Could be wrong about that though.

Edited by Jables

4 minutes ago, Jables said:

Hmm.. that’s tough. The center pool after Lafreniere is deep.. I know Cole Perfetti is a projected elite talent at center (unless it’s different in your sim league) and you could probably snag him if you miss on Lafreniere. Byfield as well. I’d maybe go Kakko. Put him on the other side of Veleno. The center’s are deep the following draft. May not snag a big time wing. I think the best are Holtz and Raymond? Could be wrong about that though.

Our league goes based on who plays well in the NHL. Ratings packages are formed based on how a player performs in the NHL. So if they bust we drafted a bust, if they star we got a star.

I admit i havent looked into 2020 much given obviously focus on 2019 draft now 

Edited by Gooningitup

Got ya. Well yeah I still stand by that then. Those guys behind Lafreniere are top 10 picks, and with Perfetti’s production this season, won’t be surprised if he’s a top 5 by the time the 2020 draft rolls around. Kakko will get you quicker success I believe, as he’ll be more acclimated to playing against men. Hughes may take a couple months to get used to it but should be pretty damn good as well. Also watching the USA vs Finland matchup today... Kakko is realllll good. 

And if you take Kakko and turns out to be the lesser of the two, then you can blame me. But they’ll both be good. Can’t go wrong with either. So I say Kakko.

Edited by Jables

Or you can maybe try to trade down to number two and stack up on an extra first round pick next season. Let the team behind you choose one of the two and you take the other. Not sure if they’d do that, but it’s worth a shot. They may favor one of the two.

17 minutes ago, Jables said:

Got ya. Well yeah I still stand by that then. Those guys behind Lafreniere are top 10 picks, and with Perfetti’s production this season, won’t be surprised if he’s a top 5 by the time the 2020 draft rolls around. Kakko will get you quicker success I believe, as he’ll be more acclimated to playing against men. Hughes may take a couple months to get used to it but should be pretty damn good as well. Also watching the USA vs Finland matchup today... Kakko is realllll good. 

And if you take Kakko and turns out to be the lesser of the two, then you can blame me. But they’ll both be good. Can’t go wrong with either. So I say Kakko.

Id never blame anyone for my choice to ask for advice. But you did give me a good idea to prescout the projected top 10 for next year to give me a clearer picture on who i could land

• 2 weeks later...

So i have been tabled 2 very serious offers for 1st overall.

1st offer 

3rd OV, 13th OV, one of Adam Fox/Nick Hagg

2nd offer

Carter Hart, Noah, Dobson,27th OV.

Unsure i wanna take either but they are serious enough to make it interesting. Hart would be a franchise goalie off the hop for me, Dobson has top end upside, late first will be okay.

Or move down 2 spots grab Byram(who id target). 13th which would be a good winger ideally, and Fox/Hagg so another good dman prospect

Edited by Gooningitup

Hmm... idk if you should pass on Hughes or Kakko. Maybe you’ll be able to snag Spencer Knight later in the draft to be your goalie of the future.