Rink-Side Chat with Vancouver Wolves GM

Rink-Side Chat with Vancouver Wolves GM

Cornholio11.jpg

Today VSN continues the VHL GM interview series with another well-established member that is beloved by many in the VHL community. The GM of the team formerly known as the Quebec Meute is known for getting perpetually FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY in the draft lotteries, as well as being one of the GMs with the most impressive physique. I present VSN's interview of the Vancouver Wolves' GM, Cornholio  Beaviss.

VSN: Can you tell us a bit about the trades your team made involving draft picks prior to the draft?

Beaviss:

TRADES:

image.png

First Trade of the off season sent long time Quebec/Vancouver goalie to the bears. We were able to get a top goalie back in @Will who at a moments notice could throw down 100+ TPE (HINT HINT). All it cost was the last pick in the 2nd round. We got a better goalie and a stopgap until @Bonzaijoe is ready to take the helm.

image.png

With this trade I found out that the player I really wanted (@rjfryman) was going to be picked 3rd overall by Seattle. I knew that it would cost a little but to move up 2 spots to grab him but it was worth every penny IMO. Without giving up much we were able to grab the 2nd best player in the draft and future first gen stud.

image.png

This trade was a pure cap space move. I would have loved to keep street around but he was declining and had a decent vet cap hit. That cap hit was the exact amount of $ that I needed to be under the maximum vet contract limit so I moved him for a 2nd round pick in a couple seasons. I was surprised I was able to get a 2nd out of this deal and lucky that Spade wasn't looking hard at his cap situation.

V: Would you like to explain why you picked the players you did?

B:

2. Meute.pngVANCOUVER WOLVES (from HC Davos Dynamo)LW - Julius Freeman

When looking at the draft list I was torn between Mars and Freeman. Freeman earns at a higher rate that Mars and also started 4 weeks after Mars did so he was 4 weeks behind but ended up at the draft only 1.5 weeks behind TPE wise. Also Conan.

14. Meute.pngVANCOUVER WOLVES (from HC Davos Dynamo)RW - Shawnomir Jagr

Before I traded up in the draft I had the 4th overall pick and I had Jagr as my pick at 4. I was exstatic that he was still around come pick #14.

18. Meute.pngVANCOUVER WOLVES (from Seattle Bears)LW - Kyle Sabertooth

Here is another steal of a pick. I needed a very good prospect that was willing to stay down in the M this season and he fit every need. High earner high activity and a great guy in the LR. I was really happy to get sabertooth.

28. Meute.pngVANCOUVER WOLVES (from Seattle Bears)C - Hans Gruber

Gruber was another player I had on my draft board slotted to go around the 20 mark. I couldn't believe he fell down to me. I was trying to trade up to 21 to grab him but the trade fell through. The other GM's all had player they wanted in this round and were set on picking them I for sure thought I was going to miss out on this gem of a player.

53. Meute.pngVANCOUVER WOLVES LW - Ben Hafkey

Another Winger off the board for Vancouver (I didn't plan this) A little bit of a sleeper player as I didn't interview him (sorry about that) but I'm very excited about his potential. I know how great of a VHLM system the reapers are so I didn't sleep on Hafkey at all. I'm excited to see what he can do in this upcoming VHLM season.

63. Meute.pngVANCOUVER WOLVES C - BALLS McZehrl
Another bit of an unknown for me as I didn't scout him (again sorry) If he can keep his activity up the Wolves could have there permanent 3rd Line C for the foreseeable future.

To sum it up I'm surprised I got the players I got where I got them. Very excited to see what you can all do this upcoming season!

V: What is the most important factor you look for when choosing your picks?

B: Activity and rate of TPE earning. If a player comes late to the draft but is earning at a high rate ill pick him above someone that has more TPE but less rate of earning. Activity in Discord is also big for me since I spend alot of time in there

V: Do you plan on trading any of your newly drafted players?

B: I never plan on trading anyone. Id call myself a very active GM when it comes to making moves though. Usually when I finish my draft I look at my picks and I project where I think they will be at the end of the next season and if they get close then I plan ahead to keep them. If they fall short then I usually look to move them in the off season or trade deadline.

V: Have any other GMS made a really bad pick this season? Which one?

B: To be honest its to early to tell. With this deep of a draft class anyone could be a home run from First overall to Last overall.

V: Did any other GMs snake a pick from you? Which pick?

B: I don't think its possible to snake picks as if they are on the board its fair game. Let an amazing goalie drop and they are available im going to take them 9 times out of 10.

V: What kind of hazing and other rituals will your newly drafted rookies have to look forward to?

B: Low mins to start and if they are active and are earning TPE and trying to get better they move up regardless of TPE levels. I like to reward hard work and activity. We are boring only hazing we do is @jRuutu creeping them out in the Locker Room.

V: Who is the most attractive player in the Draft?

B: Hunter Hurst Helmsley obviously the guy is a rocket.

V: Who is the least attractive player in the draft?

B: Hulk Hogan in next seasons draft the guy is a 0.5/10. Its sad really.

@HulkHogan

V: Have you asked any of the players you’ve scouted weird or unusual questions when reaching out to them?

B: I used to ask people what there favorite ice cream is. As you can tell a lot about a person depending on what there favorite ice cream is. Now I normally ask what there favorite NHL team to see if they hate Vancouver as a city or not.

V: Will HHH win Rookie of the Year? If not, who will it be? 

B: I'm confident that HHH has a good shot at Roty. Only downside is hes playing 2nd line where other rookies might get a shot at more mins. HHH will be the biggest producer p20 though.

V: Is HHH guaranteed to be a hall of famer?

B: No one is a guarantee unfortunately.... I wish for him to be one though as that's one of the bigger goals for me now.

V: Who will be the better player, Shane Mars or Julius Freeman?

B: I'm calling Freeman that's why I picked him 2nd overall. Freeman has a higher TPE earning rate than Mars and he started a couple weeks after Mars and almost caught him come draft time. I'm also a sucker for great first gens.

V: Who is the best defenseman in the draft?

B: I'm going to have to go with Jerry Garcia here. The guy is an animal and will make a huge impact at the VHL level once hes adjusted to the speed and skill of the league.

@GustavMattias

V: How many players picked after the 2nd round are going to become roster players in the future?

B: I can confidently say that almost every player from 1st round to 4th round will be roster players this was arguably the deepest draft class in VHL history and id be proud to be taken first overall in it.

V: How many lines will your team be running this season after this crazy deep draft?

B: The Wolves will be running around three forward lines and two defensive and two goalies. I'm more of a depth roster guy that a one line wonder team.

V: Next season’s draft will likely be just as, if not more deep than this one. Will you be willing to sell high picks to go on a run this season? Are you more likely to consider selling given the deep prospect pool that will be available?

B: My team building style is quite different than the traditional VHL style. Most General Managers of the past go for boom bust, I lean more towards getting solid top line players and then compliment them with rookies. The players I'm not so high on and or the players I don't have room for I move to recoup picks and or gain assets to be used to complement the team in the future. This leaves the team constantly fighting for a cup and also never depleting the team of assets.

V: What is your drink of choice?

B: Depends on the day. Casually I love Lucky Lager (west coast) Mojitos are great also.

V: Who is going to win the cup and why?

B: Hopefully Vancouver because we are in great shape in every position and the players I have are great earners and will push us to get better the longer the season is.

V: What city do you want the VHL to expand to next?

B: I'd like to see a Florida Team and a English Team. English Hockey is gritty and doesn't get enough love.

V: Is the VHL rigged?

B: I hope not.

V: Do you tell your players how you want them to develop or let them do their own thing?

B: I like to leave my players alone when it comes to there builds unless we have a flaring hole they can fix with some small adjustments. Its lame when you cannot build the way you want and it kills retention IMO. I don't mind answering questions and giving advice when players ask though.

V: Who is going to be the biggest bust of this draft?

B: Mars (love you)

V: Which player on your team has the most pressure on them coming into this season?

B: I'd say the top line players of Beau and Reives. They need to both produce at a top level for the Wolves to be able to function fully. Having the rookies preform also will be paramount to the teams success.

Activity and rate of TPE earning. If a player comes late to the draft but is earning at a high rate ill pick him above someone that has more TPE but less rate of earning. Activity in Discord is also big for me since I spend alot of time in there

So you're saying theres a chance I get drafted in general? LMAO

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, K1NG LINUS said:

B: I'd say the top line players of Beau and Reives. They need to both produce at a top level for the Wolves to be able to function fully. Having the rookies preform also will be paramount to the teams success.

Why y'all dumbasses call me Reives still? @Beaviss

Edited by Josh.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, fonziGG said:

Activity and rate of TPE earning. If a player comes late to the draft but is earning at a high rate ill pick him above someone that has more TPE but less rate of earning. Activity in Discord is also big for me since I spend alot of time in there

So you're saying theres a chance I get drafted in general? LMAO

Same... we're late comers but can earn that TPE ;)

20 hours ago, Acydburn said:

Same... we're late comers but can earn that TPE ;)

Julius Freeman was a free agent last season and went 2nd overall in the draft. It's very possible to get up the rankings.

• Commissioner
33 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Julius Freeman was a free agent last season and went 2nd overall in the draft. It's very possible to get up the rankings.

Oh I know. seems like this draft is a bit different though. There are a lot of us who are getting up there.

16 hours ago, Acydburn said:

Oh I know. seems like this draft is a bit different though. There are a lot of us who are getting up there.

Freeman was around for less time and had just as much TPE as Mars, that's why I went with him.

• Commissioner
9 minutes ago, Beaviss said:
16 hours ago, Acydburn said:

Freeman was around for less time and had just as much TPE as Mars, that's why I went with him.

I get that, just saying this draft seems to have the same thing going on with multiple players. If only I knew a GM or so, I may be drafted =P

15 minutes ago, Acydburn said:

I get that, just saying this draft seems to have the same thing going on with multiple players. If only I knew a GM or so, I may be drafted =P

You can know me