VHL Preemptively Awards Cup to Malmo Due to "Sick Logo," Leaguewide Pandemonium Ensues

Gustav

MALMO--It seemed like all 300,000-plus people in Sweden's third-largest city had joined in the celebration Thursday night, though the rest of the league was left dissatisfied. Within hours of a press release from league headquarters, bars were flooded, the city had lit up in green, and a parade was going over the Oresund Bridge. Why? The Nighthawks had just been awarded the Continental Cup.

"Upon recent deliberation, the league has drawn the conclusion that, due to recent circumstances, the superior VHL team can no longer be best measured by their results in the regular season, their survivorship in the playoffs, or a win of a so-called 'championship round'," said the league's latest press release. "The VHL has drawn a unanimous consensus that the Malmo Nighthawks, by virtue of their sick logo, shall hereby be recognized as league champions this season. All further games shall be declared 'unofficial,' as shall the playoffs and finals."

The league's unprecedented, unexpected declaration drew criticism from most non-Malmo parts of the league, including multiple players going on the record to once again demand the cup for themselves, and Vancouver GM Keaton Louth tweeting "Oh no not this again" as riots erupted in the city. 

League officials declined to comment upon request for further information.

League official @Devise had the following to say after widespread public and league chaos post this news. 

I think I speak for the entire Blue Team and all league officials when I say that we want to congratulate the Malmo Nighthawks on their first ever Continental Cup win. It'll likely be the first and only time an expansion team does this. Also....man what a logo. 

Malmo Nighthawks player Matthew Materazo had this to sat after the cup win

Spoiler

Man, what a team. What a season, and we will be back next season. I'd like to thank New York Management for opting to keep a draft pick over me, without them I wouldn't be in Malmo, and instead I'd be sitting on the couch watching these games.

Edited by Matt_O

1 minute ago, hedgehog337 said:

imagine a team with a cucumber logo winning anything 3w2MWDX.png

I genuinely forget Riga even exists sometimes. Imagine losing in the semi finals in back to back years after being flaunted as cup favorites at the beginning of the year

1 minute ago, Matt_O said:

I genuinely forget Riga even exists sometimes. Imagine losing in the semi finals in back to back years after being flaunted as cup favorites at the beginning of the year

imagine being dropped 5-0 by a team that lost in semis back to back years.

10 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

imagine being dropped 5-0 by a team that lost in semis back to back years

Imagine getting hype about beating an expansion team. At least were both better than Davos though

1 minute ago, Matt_O said:

Imagine getting hype about beating an expansion team. At least were both better than Davos though

win is a win. and last time I checked the standings your team was in the playoff spot. so yeah I'll take this win.