Should the Lottery be Changed?

Gustav

Should the existing lottery system be changed?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Damn I already work enough for my TPEs so I feel Lotto are just exessesif work and I won't really have the time to go on a lot of game threads to comment rip (+ I'm only using a phone, so it's almost impossible for me anyway, way too much time on a little screen)

I still like the system the way that it is. Maybe I just don't go into every thread and see it, but I haven't noticed a ton of spam. I just see comments on games.

I don't know though. I've won the lottery 2-3 times and all I've ever done is comment how I've always commented. I've done it since I came here in S35 when we got nothing for commenting.

If people are spamming, then I think that's stupid. Why spam? Why can't you just comment on your games and leave it at that? Obviously it doesn't matter if you spam, since it's still up to chance and someone like me has won it a few times without even trying.

I wanted to say that none bullshit comment has won the lotto. When the winner comment comment has been a word two or some kind of shit I moved on to the next winner. That's why I always randomize a list and not a number. For example this week won a #FixTheLotto comment but the one that got the prize was the comment that had the priority after that. 

I don't know if that matter but just so you know. A clear spam won't cut it. At least write a full sentence.

31 minutes ago, Sharkstrong said:

I wanted to say that none bullshit comment has won the lotto. When the winner comment comment has been a word two or some kind of shit I moved on to the next winner. That's why I always randomize a list and not a number. For example this week won a #FixTheLotto comment but the one that got the prize was the comment that had the priority after that. 

I don't know if that matter but just so you know. A clear spam won't cut it. At least write a full sentence.

Is that why I always win?

10 hours ago, Beaviss said:

Is that why I always win?

I guess you are lucky. I don't think I have had to disqualify a lot of comments. Like three or four so far. 

Edited by Sharkstrong

1 hour ago, Sharkstrong said:

welp. this guy is the real winner here. we should get this pinned somewhere. so we can stop with all the fucking spam comments

1 hour ago, Sharkstrong said:

Exactly My suggestion.

1 hour ago, DilIsPickle said:

I don't mind the lottery system as it is. What DOES PISS ME OFF is when people do this:

wU40JMp.png

Read the above. Sharkstrong disqualifies comments like these. I actually always knew this, and it's still my opinion that things need to change, simply because, even if it's the case that comments that are the lowest of the low in terms of quality aren't counted. 

Even if you're @Beaviss and you would have been active commenting-wise anyway, and you comment on games to actually give your opinion and start discussion, which is something I do admire, those people are a very small minority among those who comment purely for the lottery (myself included, though I do maintain, as I've said earlier, that I'd comment on what was interesting to me regardless). Let's say you're one of five people, myself included, who I can name off the top of my head as people who make comments for the lottery AND make comments that don't qualify as spam, at the very least looking at the outcomes of the games, seeing who did well, seeing if there were any surprises or standouts, and making comments on that rather than just bitching about the lottery or making an obvious half-assed "I'm doing this for the lottery" comment. My own comments on game threads (minus the "#fixthelottery," which I throw in at the end) accomplish this. I'm saying stuff that someone actually might care about quoting me on, even though it can be a bit general at times.

So, why do I, personally, think this is an issue?

• Making these comments does not mean you actually care, and in all likelihood you don't. I know I don't. Hell, I comment on my own team's threads only, and half the time I don't care if someone responds to or quotes what I've written. If I make a comment on a game between Moscow and Seattle, neither of which seems to be going anywhere this season, I don't care. Even if it's Malmo and Seattle, I won't care about any response I get, so long as we haven't been upset (a case which would make the game legitimately interesting, and one I would leave a comment on, regardless of the lottery situation). I might even quote whoever replied to me and say something back, but only to up my lottery chances and not because I  care about what's being said. Which leads me to...
  • It creates an extraordinarily phony atmosphere in game threads, which ironically ends up discouraging actual discussion. Going through game threads, it's impossible to find a single one that hasn't been commented on by someone who goes through and comments on everything. As stated above, these people (again, myself included. I am NOT trying to personally attack anyone and I am NOT saying that anyone is consciously working to create a negative atmosphere. I have had conversations with most people I know of who do this at one point or another and I can say that they're all good people, and some are among my favorite people in this league. But anyway, back to the topic, these people...) don't care about what they're saying, so long as it qualifies for the lottery. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. It would take someone who's way more into the league than I am (and I'm very much into the league) to actually care about every. single. game. Going into any game thread, especially for someone who is new and wants to start getting involved on site, can be somewhat overwhelming when someone sees the same person commenting on every thread. A new member might think that their own comment doesn't belong, or that nobody will ever read it. That's certainly not something a new member should have to experience.
  • Even if the comments themselves aren't spam, the method of commenting certainly is. I'd say this one is fairly self-explanatory, as it's pretty much a summary of everything I've already said. "Great game from [insert first star here], [winner] did a good job staying in it and pulling out the win [optional "#fixthelottery" here]" is certainly better than someone simply commenting "#fixthelottery" or "lottery entry" or anything else that we've all seen out there, but it might as well just be that, as that's what the motive is.

Again, I never made this thread to give everyone who voted "yes" a platform to complain--I made this for discussion. Beaviss is 100% entitled to his own opinion, as is Dollar. And Linus. And everyone else who voted no. In fact, should anyone disagree with anything I've said, I want to know. I want to hear all perspectives, whether or not I'm in agreement. Let's keep the discussion going, and let's keep it interesting, so that things may be improved if those in charge deem it necessary.

11 hours ago, Sharkstrong said:

When was the criteria for an eligible comment changed and where was it announced? 

Just now, BOOM said:

When was the criteria for an eligible comment changed and where was it announced? 

I've enforced it since I began doing it. It's stated in the rules here 

"Obvious Spam Posts will not be counted as valid entries, and skipped when selecting winners."