Team Building Exercises 3/11: The Queen of Blades

Team Building Exercises 3/11: The Queen of Blades

Blade-sig.png

This is the third in a series of weekly interviews with the VHLM's GM's.

Week 1

Week 2

This week I met with the Maideness with the Bladeness, @BladeMaiden, to discuss her team's rise from the bottom of the VHLM to a legit contender for the Founder's Cup. No matter who you play for, it seems everyone fears The Reapers. 

Thanks for joining us BM. I'm going to start right off the bat with some questions for us noobs. For those of us new to the league, could you give us a little history of the team? Is it an expansion team or was it one of the originals?

The Philadelphia Reapers were Founded in S65 as part of the League expansion. We were added with our Sister Expansion team the Houston Bulls. Our first season saw the organization collecting and building assets in order to sell them for picks. This move allowed us to have a strong S66 draft and our S67 Draft also looks well.  One of the things i have always tried to do is include my teams in the history building of my team. Last season my players were able to choose the name of our Arena and give the sponsor a slogan (Burns Crematorium Center, 'It isn't Cremation unless it's Burns'). This Season the guys are choosing a mascot and naming him. They have already started this process and I would be lying if i said some of the suggestion wern't hilarious, and as a GM that kind of enthusiasm just makes you love your team more.

Fun Fact: I think we hold the record for most losses in the VHLM and we get to take credit for why  there is a lottery for the top pick in the VHLM draft. Yes, I tanked so hard they decided to discourage other teams from doing the same.

That is a fun fact, especially considering you're the front-runner by so many GM's in the league. Are you the Reapers' original GM?

I am. The funny thing is that the Houston GM (@Sonnet at the time) as offered his choice of what team and logo he wanted but If I had been given 1st choice i would have still chosen the Reapers. I'm not a fan of the big raging bull and If i had been given the choice out of all  the new expansions that were to come i would have still chosen my current logo and team. I love being the manager of a team that tells people it is OK to embrace the dark side, get competitive and go for the kill. Even  last season when we couldn't win a game, my team had so much fun just playing with that dark persona that it made up for what was not happening on the ice.  I'll also add that it helps that I have been really lucky and  the best personalities seem to gravitate to the Reapers. I may be bias, but i really do feel that way.

So among all of this talent on the team, do you have any favorite rookies in the upcoming season?

Can I say all of them? This has to be the hardest question you could ask because every one of my players was selected in the draft or I traded to get them because I like them so much. There are honestly things about each and every guy on my team that  makes them a star.  I am just honored to get to lead such an amazing team of guys, idk how it happened but I keep getting spoiled with these amazing personalities that end up in Philly. I really am a lucky GM in that aspect.

How about I'll make it easier on you, are there any players in the VHLM outside of the Reapers that you'd like to have on your team?

There are a lot of quality players in this league but I am not going to list specific names of guys I would bring to the Reapers.  Just wouldn't want  to hurt anyone's feelings, it wouldn't  feel right to do that.

More than fair, we can move away from player-centric. Given your team's anticipated success, who would you consider your natural rival?

Rivals are an interesting thing here in the VHLM and they build up and burn out quickly. I would guess things will get heated with Saskatoon and Ottawa as they are also at the top of the league. I think it is important to note that I am an extremely pragmatic person and all this build up where  people are trying to Build the Reapers up at the team to beat is Silly. We are a Great team with a lot of talent but there are other teams that have assembled competitive rosters and the season isn't over until there is a cup in someones hand. I hope it is me and I will do everything I can to make my team a success but  I keep that thought in my mind that I need to keep building and getting better because I know this is only the beginning. I've seen stacked boards fail before and i don't want to be one of those teams.

Given your success in the VHLM, do you have any plans to expand to the VHL as a GM?

I don't think a lot of the new guys know but my AGM experience came from working as The Vancouver AGM in the VHL. If I am honest my goal was to run a VHL team as the rosters are more permanent.  My Favorite part of being a GM is assembling a team and bringing people together. Watching people become friends, help one another with their builds and just have fun in the locker room is  the best part of my job, just wish I had most of my guys for longer than a season or two. I guess that wish comes from being so spoiled with the caliber of guys that have come to play in Philly, I end up wanting to keep them forever lol. That being said, There are a lot of politics involves with wanting to be a VHL GM and getting a position usually mean impressing the Blues. So all I can do is hope I prove myself and enjoy my current fortune of GMing  one of the best teams in the VHLM.

So what's next for the Reapers?

Well in true Reaper fashion we are going to Kill it this season (editor's note: they are!) I won't be holding back, so I an hoping it will be a real slaughter.In other words, I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. I made a lot of the big moves I was going to make in the off-season like bringing in my AGM, @Jubo07,  who is a Cup winning GM. I didn't want to take any chances, some would say I am the queen of overkill when it comes to how much I try to ensure my teams success.

Best of luck with that! Last question, do you have any advice for aspiring GM's?

If you want to be a GM you need to show you are interested in the job. Start by applying to be a World Juniors GM (they always hire aspiring GMs) and get your self some experience. I would also apply to be a team AGM, show the league you are willing to put time and effort into it.  Your donation of time will make you a more attractive candidate. I would suggest people start here to gauge if they even want to be a GM. It is a job that can at times be stressful and rewarding. You need to have a backbone and stand your ground even when everyone else is coming at you. It can be a wild ride especially if you are like me and don't just flow with the status quo. Regardless of the struggles I still find my job as a GM to be rewarding so I would encourage anyone who thinks they have what it takes to give it a go. 

That does it for my questions. Any closing statements or info you'd like to share with our readers?

I guess I would wish them luck in the upcoming season and if they ever recreate to Keep the Reapers in mind lol.  Oh damn!  I forgot to mention something important in my advice to future GMs. ABC Always Be Recruiting, the players are what make your team a success, make sure you build a place where ppl want to be and never forget to tell people how awesome your team is. So yes I think I'll end it with a Join the Reaper Nation #ReapersAlwaysKillingIt

Reapers always killing it indeed.

Thanks again to Blademaiden for taking the time to answer a few questions and share some experiences with our readers.

Next week I'll be speaking with @oilmandan about your Las Vegas Aces. Stay Tuned!

1513 Words

For PT weeks ending:

June 2

June 9

June 16