Do you care about VSN?

Matt_O

Do you care about VSN?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want to make VSN as good as possible, so please leave feedback on what we can do better.

Edited by Matt_O

It started off great but its quickly gone downhill they are just better written medias now. The original idea was that people that enjoy writing a lot can get credit for multiple articles a week and still earn a little bonus on the side. Unfortunately their are less and less articles coming out and the high turnover has ruined the stability.

It also hurts that the VSN section doesn't show up under new content either which makes people miss a lot of the new content.

I think I explained how I'd personally like to see VSN improved in your last suggestion thread. At the moment, I don't care about anything VSN does--I'll read an interesting-sounding article no matter where it is, VSN or not. If it's a VSN article, it won't make me click on it any more than if it isn't. So, I'm saying no, but there's potential to make it good if things change up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 3:06 PM, Beaviss said:

It started off great but its quickly gone downhill they are just better written medias now. The original idea was that people that enjoy writing a lot can get credit for multiple articles a week and still earn a little bonus on the side. Unfortunately their are less and less articles coming out and the high turnover has ruined the stability.

It also hurts that the VSN section doesn't show up under new content either which makes people miss a lot of the new content.

I pretty much solely use that button, which explains why i never see it lol

Like it, always good to see more (well) written media that covers the entire league, compared to a media spot about someone's own player as they are usually less interesting (no worries, im guilty about that myself) 

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, Positivefan036 said:

I pretty much solely use that button, which explains why i never see it lol

It 100% shows up under that button, all content does. I’m not entirely sure what @Beaviss is smoking or referring to but it’s not the “view new content” button.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

It 100% shows up under that button, all content does. I’m not entirely sure what @Beaviss is smoking or referring to but it’s not the “view new content” button.

dis

image.png

• Commissioner

Everything should show up in there but I can check. Could just be getting buried quickly. We could make one specifically for VSN the way the game ones are.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Everything should show up in there but I can check. Could just be getting buried quickly. We could make one specifically for VSN the way the game ones are.

Ive never seen a VSN article show up there

• Commissioner
21 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I’ll look but I’m 99% sure that section just pulls from everything.

• Commissioner
57 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

If it didn't include them before it does now. I checked off to include all forums now. It had a huge pile in there but not every single one. probably because we wanted to avoid locker room ones and updates in the past but that doesn't matter anymore.

Since the beginning of leagues, there has been a desire by every league to run a branded or official media team. I think that's natural, because our leagues are often focused around media for points. Sometimes, I ask myself why we push that so hard if often times it just doesn't quite hit the mark?

I can't speak for everyone, but one major reason I like things like a magazine or a network of media is that I like my sim leagues to simulate more than just the physical sport. I like to get wrapped up in the league, it's teams and it's players. I like storylines. I think, to some degree, that's true about most people who find and engage in a player sim league for the first time. As such, I think those league-driven media's are always best devoted to members. This thread is obviously in that mindset.

But what often happens, and I don't know if that's true here, is that these media teams quickly lose sight of that and treat it as a job. "Oh, I have to write a league piece real quik." They become, as one poster wrote, just better written medias without much juice.

In my experience, the pieces of media I have done that are fully devoted to member/player acknowledgement have been the ones more members read, engage in and get excited for. My advice would be to dive into that. Draft. Free Agency. VHLM player performances. Guys nearing records. Acknowledge multiple, or when you can a vast number of, people in an article that celebrates what they are doing in a way that's still written like an official VSN article. People like to be acknowledged. And when they read for themselves, they build the habit to read in general.

I just came back and plan to tune into VSN. I hope you get feedback that will give you the clarity needed to take it to the next level.

1 minute ago, Shaka said:

Since the beginning of leagues, there has been a desire by every league to run a branded or official media team. I think that's natural, because our leagues are often focused around media for points. Sometimes, I ask myself why we push that so hard if often times it just doesn't quite hit the mark?

I can't speak for everyone, but one major reason I like things like a magazine or a network of media is that I like my sim leagues to simulate more than just the physical sport. I like to get wrapped up in the league, it's teams and it's players. I like storylines. I think, to some degree, that's true about most people who find and engage in a player sim league for the first time. As such, I think those league-driven media's are always best devoted to members. This thread is obviously in that mindset.

But what often happens, and I don't know if that's true here, is that these media teams quickly lose sight of that and treat it as a job. "Oh, I have to write a league piece real quik." They become, as one poster wrote, just better written medias without much juice.

In my experience, the pieces of media I have done that are fully devoted to member/player acknowledgement have been the ones more members read, engage in and get excited for. My advice would be to dive into that. Draft. Free Agency. VHLM player performances. Guys nearing records. Acknowledge multiple, or when you can a vast number of, people in an article that celebrates what they are doing in a way that's still written like an official VSN article. People like to be acknowledged. And when they read for themselves, they build the habit to read in general.

I just came back and plan to tune into VSN. I hope you get feedback that will give you the clarity needed to take it to the next level.

Me and @ShawnGlade talked about VSN and we figured out some ways to make it better. Hopefully in some of the coming weeks the changes will change the public's view of VSN.

1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

Me and @ShawnGlade talked about VSN and we figured out some ways to make it better. Hopefully in some of the coming weeks the changes will change the public's view of VSN.

Awesome. Also, just now seeing this was posted on May 27th. I'm that guy now.

:clooney:

1 minute ago, Shaka said:

Awesome. Also, just now seeing this was posted on May 27th. I'm that guy now.

:clooney:

Don't worry its still relevant :P

4 hours ago, Beaviss said:

4 hours ago, Shaka said:

Like Beav mentioned, I took over as VSN manager not too long ago and I've had a rough first month or so, but in the past week I've been heavily focused on making VSN better. I've hired new writers and imposed new, better standards for our content and I think that you will see VSN become the media outlet you want it to be

Edited by ShawnGlade
Can't spell

5 hours ago, Shaka said:

This post was spot on, in my opinion - especially the bolded section, which is something I think is critical. When I first joined this league / other leagues (and still now) - getting a mention in a post or article really got me more engaged on the site and interested. I would imagine this feeling is the same for most people. 

I just joined the VSN crew and one of the articles I am work-shopping is some sort of "New Player/Prospect Report" - to really try and focus on that aspect. Trying to engage some of the newer members/players. 

46 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

Like Beav mentioned, I took over as VSN manager not too long ago and I've had a rough first month or so, but in the past week I've been heavily focused on making VSN better. I've hired new writers and imposed new, better standards for our content and I think that you will see VSN become the media outlet you want it to be

I'm in the process of working on a sort of consistent prospect piece in both the SBA and EFL. I'd love to work with VSN to facilitate that kind of media, ftr. 

3 hours ago, Matt_O said:

kind of off topic but this is why forums > discord. If this was discord all this input would have been lost, and all of these new ideas would never have been given since the original conversation would be buried

That's what the search button is for

On 5/27/2019 at 3:00 PM, Matt_O said:

I want to make VSN as good as possible, so please leave feedback on what we can do better.

I actually happen to enjoy VSN thoroughly and one day hope to join the team. But it would be nice if they posted more often and go more in-depth similar to Gustav's mock draft.