Draft Preview Interview with Trevor Van Lagen

VanCanWin

Toronto News reporter Rachel Snype caught up with upcoming VHL draftee Trevor Van Lagen to discuss his VHLM season and his preparations for the VHL draft.

Rachel: Welcome back to the show Trevor! 

Trevor: Thanks for having me again Rachel!

Rachel: Time flies, doesn’t it? Feels like we just sat down to discuss your upcoming VHLM rookie season and here we are heading down the stretch run. How has your first year been?

Trevor: It’s been a good ride so far! We are winning much more than we are losing and my team has done a nice job developing me and my teammates as we prepare for the VHL.

Rachel: Speaking of the VHL, the draft is coming up and you have been climbing the rankings all season. Where do you anticipate being drafted?

Trevor: At first I really didn’t know as the draft class is so deep this year but more recently it’s been clearing up. I think I should be a second round pick this year. 

Rachel: Is that somewhere you would be happy to be picked?

Trevor: I would like to think of myself as a first round talent, I mean I’m a big bodied, skilled center.  But I’ll be happy where ever I get picked.

Rachel: Do you plan on making the jump straight to the VHL or are you planning on withholding your development in order to go a second year in the VHLM?

Trevor: Honestly, I’ve been toying with the idea of staying back one more year. I would like to have a year to dominate in the VHLM before I make the jump to the VHL.  It’s not confirmed yet as I am still tossing it back and forth but we will see as the season develops.

Rachel: Earlier this season when we chatted, you said your personal stats don’t matter. Of course that was the right thing to say but looking back, what were your expectations and how have you fared in that respect so far?

Trevor: I didn’t set personal stat goals for the year but I was hoping I could be a regular contributor on this team. So far being just shy of a point per game player and one of the top secondary scorers on Halifax, I think from that view point the season has been a success so far.

Rachel: Most of the season you have been getting second line minutes. For a few games you were promoted to first line alongside Gaudette. How was that experience?

Trevor: I was certainly thrilled to been awarded the chance at top line duties because it showed our GMs faith in me and the fact that he liked what he was seeing from me so far. @Gaudette is an amazing player and playing with him was such an honour.  He’s our captain for a reason as he is our best player on the ice nearly every night.

Rachel: Just recently Halifax underwent a bit of a management change. Can you share your thoughts?

Trevor: Nothing but good comes from this change. @Acydburn is a legend in the making. A true prodigy in the GM ranks of the VHL. I’m really excited about Halifax’s future for sure!

Rachel: Thanks again for doing this Trevor! Good luck with the remainder of the season and with being drafted. Whoever selects you is getting a stud of a player!

Trevor: Thank you so much Rachel!

570 words

Edited by VanCanWin