Temporary Endurance Penalty on Inactives

• Head Moderator

Continuing discord discussion.

What if inactive players were given a penalty to endurance? This would allow for lesser active tpe players to jump ahead of them in effectiveness and TOI.

It would not diminish the inactive players actual stats, merely just prevent them from playing the max mins on a team. This could be effectively be like a "conditioning issue" that could be played out where a a active player could get more ice time temporarily (or permanently) instead of being stuck behind an inactive player whom has better stats.

What does this mean in terms of possible downsides?

- Means simmers have more work and someone has to track endurance penalties on inactives. (Trade off of work versus player experience)

- Means GMs will try and get inactives to come back at least every once in awhile to sign in to prevent inactive penalties. This is good though, because every time an inactive steps foot back in the VHL, at the very least that is a chance for us to reclaim the player. Not unlike a person calling into a rentention center because they want to leave their service, this at the very least gives us an opportunity to bring them back.

- Are we tracking this via last login? That could be doable with the portal linking activity, one could assume we could track last login time as well. 

- Players can be recovered without losing their stats as the only thing would be fixed would be their endurance.

We can scale the endurance penalties to adjust over time. (75%, 50%, 25% etc...) based on time missing.

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, Beketov said:

99% sure we have endurance set to do nothing but I could be wrong.

I thought it was the other way around where we set endurance to max for everyone.

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, tfong said:

I thought it was the other way around where we set endurance to max for everyone.

We do. However I believe we also have the settings so that it’s effect is as minimal as possible. Setting it to max is just a backup strategy.

I could very well be wrong but that’s how I understand it to be set up.

There is also a bit of an argument to me made that it would suck if a team’s superstar got busy for a season and they end up taking a double hit if not having that person updating but also their endurance getting crippled. Take @Tagger for example. Is it anyone’s fault that a player gets busy really?

• Head Moderator
6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

We do. However I believe we also have the settings so that it’s effect is as minimal as possible. Setting it to max is just a backup strategy.

I could very well be wrong but that’s how I understand it to be set up.

There is also a bit of an argument to me made that it would suck if a team’s superstar got busy for a season and they end up taking a double hit if not having that person updating but also their endurance getting crippled. Take @Tagger for example. Is it anyone’s fault that a player gets busy really?

Its not anyone's fault. But it is certainly an opportunity that we can use to make the player experience better for those currently active. I mean the simple fact of the matter is that the person choose to be prioritize other things over VHL (which is fine), but we should be catering to those being active. I mean it snot like the inactive player really will check in to see how they are doing or care, but the active player may be here every day and questioning why an inactive gets more playing time than them and this allows for a transfer of TOI with good in game reasoning.

The time required for one to be inactive penalty like i said can be scaled pretty easily without any real detriment to a player in the short term, only really increasing to huge examples as we go into multi seasons. The endurance penalty would leave the rest of the character intact anyways and subsequent activity could easily put them back into normal condition (not unlike a conditioning stint).