Milestones (Retention increase)

Thanks to @Esso2264 for this one.

So Discord was buzzing this morning about ways to increase retention and this gem came up. (with some tweaks from myself)

It would be milestone system similar to the current First Gen Milestone but for every character.

First off their would be a list of 20ish Milestones and they would be listed when you create a character. There would be two tiers of Goals.  Some examples would be like:

T1: Reward 5 TPE

Score 50 Goals in the VHL

Record 50 Assists in the VHL

Record 100 Hits

Record 50 ShotBlocks

Play an Entire VHL Season (72 Games)

Make the Playoffs

T2: Reward 10 TPE

Score 150 Goals in the VHL

Record 150 Assists in the VHL

Record 300 Hits

Record 150 ShotBlocks

Play Three VHL Season's ( Full Seasons)

Win the Cup (Bonus TPE) 15 TPE

T3: Reward 15 TPE

Score 300 Goals in the VHL

Record 450 Assists in the VHL

Record 600 Hits

Record 450 ShotBlocks

Play Five VHL Season's ( Full Seasons)

Win the Cup Twice (Bonus TPE+) 30 TPE

These are just examples and the values can change.

* Thanks @Green The Values would change depending on position (including Goalies)

Goal of this change:

Retention. It would act similar to the TPE goal set in the VHLM which all first gens cant wait to hit. It would give someone to keep coming back to check on the progress of their goals. You could have a live tracker built into the portal that could pull the stats from the recent games and keep track of your progress of your goals.

Let me know your thoughts below. I think it would be a good change for not much downside.

Edited by Beaviss

Just now, Green said:

Random thought, make it different for certain players like the achievement tracker.  So less goals for a defenseman, but more shots blocked etcetera.

I forgot to add that oops ill add it now.

• Commissioner

So would you need everything in a tier to get the reward or just 1 item, I’m not sure I follow?

Just now, Beketov said:

So would you need everything in a tier to get the reward or just 1 item, I’m not sure I follow?

You pick one per tier at creation of your character. Example: I pick 50 Goals in T1 so that's my goal.

Just now, Beketov said:

1 but I could see picking multiple to make it harder.

1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

You pick one per tier at creation of your character. Example: I pick 50 Goals in T1 so that's my goal.

5 seasons for 15 tpe seems a bit low. But I guess that's something to hash out if it's being implemented

• Commissioner

If you only need 1 thing from that list than those reward numbers need some major adjusting. I guess they aren’t hugeness numbers but with how much TPE we have floating around some of this seems pretty easy for the reward you get even when half of it is team based. Like 5 TPE for making the playoffs? You didn’t even contribute necessarily. In my experience anything involving this much choice will yield 1 normal season and then everyone will figure out the easiest ones and everyone will just get the same bonus at basically the same time, boring.

What I would say is remove the choice but add more tiers and make it cumulative. So like tier 1 could be 25 goals, 25 assists, and 1 full season or something for 5 TPE. Once that is done you move into tier 2 which is 100, 100, and 3 full seasons for 10, etc. Build up as you go but require that all are hit before you get rewarded. Ideally remove team based ones unless they are outside of the regular tiers.

Gives people something to be working towards constantly which is nice but removing the choice means you don’t get stuck with everyone doing the easiest option. Keeping track of it all could be a pain mind you but I’m sure something portal wise could be built to automatically offer up tier rewards.

If we did still want some choice have tiers designed around certain build options so that a Defenseman for example doesn’t need to score to hit the tiers or if someone wants to build a 2 way they could need hits but a pure scorer wouldn’t, etc.

I think this would be great. But don't forget about VHLM because if we want to retain folks we need to not make them wait 1-2 seasons to start working towards these milestones. Make a few in VHLM. Get them working towards milestones right away. Maybe some simpler milestones for VHLM. Make it some easy at first and then more difficult as their VHLM career moves on.

it's not fair just to have VHL milestones and we need to have it over the span of their tenure here, not just when the are in the VHL. That is a long enough wait for a lot of folks I'm sure. 

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

If you only need 1 thing from that list than those reward numbers need some major adjusting. I guess they aren’t hugeness numbers but with how much TPE we have floating around some of this seems pretty easy for the reward you get even when half of it is team based. Like 5 TPE for making the playoffs? You didn’t even contribute necessarily. In my experience anything involving this much choice will yield 1 normal season and then everyone will figure out the easiest ones and everyone will just get the same bonus at basically the same time, boring.

What I would say is remove the choice but add more tiers and make it cumulative. So like store 1 could be 25 goals, 25 assists, and 1 full season or something for 5 TPE. Once that is done you move into tier 2 which is 100, 100, and 3 full seasons for 20, etc. Build up as you go but require that all are hit before you get rewarded. Ideally remove team based ones unless they are outside of the regular tiers.

Gives people something to be working towards constantly which is nice but removing the choice means you don’t get stuck with everyone doing the easiest option. Keeping track of it all could be a pain mind you but I’m sure something portal wise could be built to automatically offer up tier rewards.

The choices add more depth and individuality to each character. I don't think people would do the meta I think they would aim for what they are looking to achieve. That would also give some insight on what each player is aiming for at creation giving scouting and VHLM Gm's a better idea of what they are signing.

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

What I would say is remove the choice but add more tiers and make it cumulative. So like store 1 could be 25 goals, 25 assists, and 1 full season or something for 5 TPE. Once that is done you move into tier 2 which is 100, 100, and 3 full seasons for 20, etc. Build up as you go but require that all are hit before you get rewarded. Ideally remove team based ones unless they are outside of the regular tiers.

I think if the goal is the increased retention of existing/old members, it would have to be attainable goals for the sake of an inactive player...  If for nothing other than members you're trying to reach out to aren't necessarily on good teams and might not be able to achieve these quickly.  Otherwise I think it's largely another TPE-whoring activity.  Simply compiling at the season's end (as you mentioned) and pinging members to claim their reward would be enough.

1 minute ago, Motzaburger said:

I think this would be great. But don't forget about VHLM because if we want to retain folks we need to not make them wait 1-2 seasons to start working towards these milestones. Make a few in VHLM. Get them working towards milestones right away. Maybe some simpler milestones for VHLM. Make it some easy at first and then more difficult as their VHLM career moves on.

it's not fair just to have VHL milestones and we need to have it over the span of their tenure here, not just when the are in the VHL. That is a long enough wait for a lot of folks I'm sure. 

VHLM has achievement tracker already tho

Just now, Motzaburger said:

Retention in the Minors is very good its once people get drafted into the VHL that we lose people in swarms. The M also has more TPE earning opportunity's and First gen opportunity's that I don't think the M would miss out.

They would need separate milestones for VHLM and VHL. If we did the same or combined it'd make it to easy.

1 minute ago, frescoelmo said:

I think if the goal is the increased retention of existing/old members, it would have to be attainable goals for the sake of an inactive player...  If for nothing other than members you're trying to reach out to aren't necessarily on good teams and might not be able to achieve these quickly.  Otherwise I think it's largely another TPE-whoring activity.  Simply compiling at the season's end (as you mentioned) and pinging members to claim their reward would be enough.

Thats why I made it stats based. That way they have another reason to look and comment on games.

1 minute ago, Rayzor_7 said:

They would need separate milestones for VHLM and VHL. If we did the same or combined it'd make it to easy.

VHLM already has achievement tracker they don't really need anything additional IMO.

6 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

VHLM already has achievement tracker they don't really need anything additional IMO.

If there's a current achievement tracker this is the first I've heard of it ? 

Make it stat based in VHLM too though. A few easy ones to get players excited right away and then some hard ones to work towards - and may not ever achieve before leaving VHLM. 

5 minutes ago, Rayzor_7 said:

I would agree, it's just something to ponder.

^

If there's a current achievement tracker this is the first I've heard of it ? 

Make it stat based in VHLM too though. A few easy ones to get players excited right away and then some hard ones to work towards - and may not ever achieve before leaving VHLM. 

^

1 minute ago, Rayzor_7 said:

This would've been nice to know about...................... ?

And what's up with that being closed to new people who come in? That's a gaping flaw IMO. 

If you can't track "milestones" because you've joined after the thread is cut-off, then that's not a milestone tracker btw. That's literally a piss-off for me and anyone else who joined after that date. So my "milestones" aren't "milestones" now because I wasn't able to post in that thread ....good to know. 

And what's up with that being closed to new people who come in? That's a gaping flaw IMO. 

If you can't track "milestones" because you've joined after the thread is cut-off, then that's not a milestone tracker btw. That's literally a piss-off for me and anyone else who joined after that date. So my "milestones" aren't "milestones" now because I wasn't able to post in that thread ....good to know. 

Its for people that have been drafted. Thats also last seasons thread.

41 minutes ago, Motzaburger said:

38 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

last seasons thread.

There will be a new one posted at the end of this season for people who played in the VHLM this year and are entering the VHL draft this coming off-season. Contrary to what Beaviss said, it isn't only open to drafted players, it's just closed to anyone who joined after the TDL this year, because they'll be able to get next year's.

1 hour ago, Beaviss said:

I don't think people would do the meta I think they would aim for what they are looking to achieve

You underestimate people's tendency to find the best way to exploit circumstances.