S67 Draft Series | Top 3 Defensemen [1/2]

Sullvino

S67 Draft Series

Top 3 Defensemen

Prior Article: Sleepers

Prior Article: Top 3 Centers

Prior Article: Top 3 Wingers

In this weeks installment of the Season 67 Draft Series, we’ll cover the Top-3 eligible defenseman. In previous weeks, we have covered sleepers, top centers and top wingers in this seemingly very talented draft class. Let’s dig into the blue liners.

:mis:Hulk Hogan – Mississauga Hounds :mis: @HulkHogan

TPE: 221

At the top of the list at this point is Hounds defenseman Hulk Hogan. At 6’6 and 210 pounds he possesses great size and strength for a defenseman. Hogan has definitely out paced his draft position, as he was the 22nd overall pick in the VHLM Dispersal draft and certainly has burst onto the scene. This season for the Hounds, he has produced an impressive 77 points (13 goals and 64 assists), which is Top 10 in the VHLM for points. His 64 assists is the best of all players in the VHLM. Clearly, his production on the ice has been spectacular but scouts are even more excited about whats to come with Hogan. He projects as a two-way defenseman at the next level, despite his clear offensive stats this season. He plays a physical brand of hockey and is very responsible defensively.

Scout Assessment:

“Hulk Hogan is my top defenseman available. His statistical output this season has been quite impressive and I think theres still even more untapped skill. He’ll be the first defenseman off the board in my opinion”

:phi:Boone Jenton – Philadelphia Reapers :phi: @FakeJenton

TPE: 199

Second on the list is Reapers defenseman Boone Jenton, who was drafted 30th overall by Philadelphia in the past VHLM Dispersal Draft. The Michigan-born defenseman also has a similar two-way style as the aforementioned Hulk Hogan. He can skate very well and transition from defense to offense at a high level. He is also very responsible defensively and has some of the best defensive IQ in the draft. This is evidenced by his 113 shots blocked so far this season, which is good for Top-6 in the VHLM. As far as his offensive stats go, he has put together a nice season so far for the Reapers. In his 57 games played he has produced 8 goals and 47 assists which is third best among VHLM defensemen in points.

Scout Assessment:

“A Top-10 pick in my opinion. The way he can skate and pass is really something special to watch. He’s very smooth out there, it’s second nature for him.”

:sdm:Lincoln Tate – San Diego Marlins   :sdm: @Tate

TPE: 186

A recurring player of our rankings is Lincoln Tate, who was featured as the top sleeper a few weeks back in our article. In that article, we stated: “we have Tate labeled as a sleeper for now, but he is beginning to garner national attention and we would not be surprised if he was a high draft pick when that day comes.”  As we projected then, he blossomed out of the sleeper category and has been continuously progressing. Similar to Jenton, Lincoln Tate plays the game silky smooth. His skating and transition game is top notch.  He ranks second amongst all defensemen in the VHLM with 76 points, which is one point off the leader and number one player listed here, Hulk Hogan. Of the three players mentioned in this article, Lincoln Tate probably has the highest offensive ceiling. He is slightly more offensive-minded than Hogan and Jenton, but all three play a relatively similar style.

Scout Assessment:

“It has been impressive watching him climb draft boards. A few weeks ago he was a middle of the pack draft pick and now he is in the first round conversation. He’s been grinding on and off the ice and his stats this season reflect that work. I have heard from some other scouts that some teams have him as the top defenseman. We’ll see.”

Edited by Sullvino

1 minute ago, Tate said:

Fantastic work as per usual @Sullvino, you do a great job at breaking down each player. It warms my heart to see me in the same consideration as my brother Hulk and the Jenton Express, can’t wait to see what happens come draft day!

Thanks man! The draft is going to be awesome, going to be great to see where all these players end up 

4 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

When are the mock drafts coming?

That's definitely coming soon - may do a top 3 goalies next week but I have to look at the eligible players to see if we have a crop of goalies beyond Mr. Funk. 

Heres a sneak preview of the mock draft though:

1.1 - Aston Martin 

2 minutes ago, Sullvino said:

That's definitely coming soon - may do a top 3 goalies next week but I have to look at the eligible players to see if we have a crop of goalies beyond Mr. Funk. 

1.1 - Aston Martin 

Interesting take....

37 minutes ago, HulkHogan said:

I know I may seem like a two way but im trying to be defensive defense man lol. I wish I didn't put 50 in scoring and discipline.

Haha - leading the league in points from defensemen!

14 hours ago, Sullvino said:

1.1 - Aston Martin 

Definitely goalies beyond Mr Funk ;)  While he is def #1, few other goalies out there to round out a potential top 3

Wrike Chernobyl
Greg Eagles
Michael Johnson

• Commissioner
18 hours ago, Sullvino said:

you do

4 hours ago, Greg_Di said:

Definitely goalies beyond Mr Funk ;)  While he is def #1, few other goalies out there to round out a potential top 3

Wrike Chernobyl
Greg Eagles
Michael Johnson

22 minutes ago, Acydburn said:

@fonziGG = Sleeper goalie

I appreciate even being in the conversation from you guys! 

swoon love GIF by NICOLE DONUT

Review:

Another amazing edition of the draft series, this one looking at defensemen. Great to see my main man, @Tate there. He's worked hard and is showing only the start of what he's made of! This was a nicely researched article, and beautifully presented! Keep these up @Sullvino!! :cheers: 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to S67 Draft Series | Top 3 Defensemen [1/2]