VSN - Blast From The Past - Apollo Skye

I arrived at the house of Apollo Skye. For those who don't know, Apollo Skye is one of the best goaltenders in the history of the Victory Hockey League. He is 4th on the all-time shutout leaders list and has won 4 individual awards and 1 cup. I knocked on his door. After a few minutes, he opened the door and invited me inside. We talked for a bit, just hanging out. Apollo went back to school after his esteemed career, getting a business degree and starting a non-profit organization called "The Skye Project", which tries to provide clean water to developing nations. After talking, we had dinner and I went to sleep. I always seem to arrive at night.

I woke up at 4 in the morning, but Skye wasn't awake, so I just made myself some coffee. Skye woke up at 6 and made us a breakfast of toast, bacon, and eggs. Who knew a former goalie would be so good at cooking? Then at 7:30, we went to the gym and worked out. I noticed, almost every single former star I visited seemed to work out everyday. He then went for a meeting at his job and is currently a Business Analyst. At noon, he came back and we had lunch, which he also cooked. Then we went to one of "The Skye Project" charity events at one, which was a charity golf classic. We came back at 5 and we relaxed. Then, at 6, we went to a pickup hockey game and had a fun game. At 8 we came back and watched the NHL Playoffs. We kept watching until it was 10, then we went to sleep.

I began my interview. 

"What part of your career are you most proud of?" I asked him.

"That's a tough one, but I would have to say my two MVP awards. There are so many great players in the VHL and you only get to play 8 seasons. Only 1 player a season gets the MVP and to be awarded it twice is quite the honor." He replied.

To win one MVP is impressive enough, to win two is really impressive. I then asked him, "Now, on the flip side, any part of your career you regret?"

He thought about it for a while and then answered my question. "Probably my rookie season. I came into the VHL overconfident after a great season in the VHLM. I wasn't ready for the big leagues. I had to refine my style and learn to control my rebounds better. I wish I could have started off on a better note. I also regret my last season, even though my individual numbers were good, we only put up 15 wins. I feel like I still had the skill to put up another MVP like season but it just wasn't in the cards."

His first and last seasons. Not much of a surprise considering those are usually 2 hard seasons to go through. I asked him my final question. "What do you think was a key part to your success in the VHL?"

"I think my work ethic and consistency were big contributors to my success. Every week I was training to get better. I didn't let the ups and downs of my career get to me and kept pushing to become the best I could be."

I thanked him for his time and he brought me to the airport so I could go back to Davos. We said our goodbyes and I went on the plane.

Edited by SlapshotDragon