Claimed:Trading Draft Picks Pt. 3

Guest Svoboda_3

Guest Svoboda_3

Trading Draft Picks PT.2

In my previous MS, I talked about the first ever trade that sent the Season 1 1st overall pick to the Amstel Tigers in turn for the 6th overall pick. The Amstel Tigers then selected goaltender Robert Sharpe with Calgary selecting left wing Scott Boulet. Now we will look at the trade that brought Vasteras 2nd overall from Hamilton.

To Hamilton

Season 1 Hamilton 1st Round Draft Pick ~ Center Scotty Campbell

To Vasteras

Season 1 Vasteras 1st Round Draft Pick ~ Defenseman David Night

Season 2 Vasteras 2nd Round Draft Pick ~ Defenseman Alex Staal

Trade Breakdown

The 2nd trade ever in the VHL took place between the Vasteras IK and Hamilton Canucks. Interesting how the 1st and 2nd trades in VHL history happened to also involve 1st and 2nd overall. This trade set up Vasteras with a solid consolation prize of a goaltender by the name of Robert Sharpe. Amstel then in turn shocked the world by taking Sharpe 1st overall and Vasteras could not mess it up by not taking the best player available. This might have been Vasteras’ only smart move in 36 some odd season in the VHL. They made their dumbest move by trading him. David Night was a solid defenseman in his time in the VHL. He is no Scotty Campbell but he was a franchise defenseman. Alex Staal had a good career but never suited up for the Canucks franchise.

TPE

Scotty Campbell finished his career with a total of 630 TPE. David Night managed a total of 549. Alex Staal was able to chip in 204. The total gained for Hamilton is 753 TPE compared to 630 TPE for a gain of 123 TPE. Factor in that Staal was traded though and this trade isn’t that even as David Night was unable to bring the Canucks franchise a Continental Cup like Scotty was able to do for Vasteras.

Career Stats

Scotty Campbell amassed a total of 600 goals and 639 assists for 1239 points in 577 games. Scotty Campbell put up two points a game for his whole career. That is so impressive that he will go down as the greatest to ever play in the VHL. On top of that he was also a +643. He rarely put his team in a bad spot with only 306 PIMS to go with 152 hits and 4897 shots. He also was able to block a total 381 shots which is pretty good for an offensive powerhouse like himself.

David Night scored 164 times in his career, assisted on 370 for a total of 534 points in 504 games. He was just over a point per game in his career which is really good for a defenseman. He was also a career +152, which is pretty amazing considering he played on some weak teams. He also showed some pugnacity with a career total of 737 PIMS to go along with 511 hits. His defense wasn’t too shabby with a career total of 1203 shots blocked.  He also amassed over 1000 shots with 1012 to his credit. Alex Staal on the other hand played in a total of 431 games, scoring 57 times and assisting on 232 for a total of 289 points. He was considered a defensive defenseman for his career. He played for weak teams and surprisingly finished with just a -1 for his career. He has a total of 489 PIMS to his name to go with 398 hits and 839 shots blocked to live up to his defensive standards. He only shot the puck 445 times scoring 57 times which isn’t a very good percentage.

Final Analysis

Since I’m going by TPE and career stats, unfortunately, guys I can’t go back to the beginning to look at stats they had with the team as the old indexes and stuff from seasons 1-17 aren’t working for now. I can tell you now though since from my very own memory that the Hamilton Canucks never won a Continental Cup when they were Hamilton and not New York, that Vasteras won this trade simply because Scotty Campbell delivered the cup to Vasteras the very same season he was drafted. So the winner of this trade in my mind is the Vasteras IK.

Edited by Svoboda_3

Guest Svoboda_3

I was supposed to post this for him (StevenStamkos91) yesterday and I forgot so, please allow this for last week.

Edited by Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3 - The History Channel lives on! I'd have to say I agree with your analysis, if you gave up what ultimately ended up being a VHL legend and didn't win any Continental Cups in the process, you lose that trade. However, I think that used up most of Vasteras' good luck.

Grammar: 2/2 - I didn't see a thing... either you're really improving or I'm really slipping!

Appearance: .5/1 - Lack of a picture hurts here.

Overall: 5.5/6 -  :Xcat:

Content: 3/3 - Hey look at that, I'm a part of history! Despite Staal's numbers I was always proud of his play, being on weaker VHL teams. Sadly I never got to play for Vasteras, only to put my name out there more for Stockholm.  ;)

Grammar: 2/2 - Excellent.

Appearance: .5/1 - Not having a picture here makes it look very bland, along with a lack of color.

Overall: 5.5/6

Final: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...