Team Building Exercises 4/11: Viva Las Vegas!

Team Building Exercises 4/11: Viva Las Vegas!

Image result for randy marsh

This is the fourth in a series of weekly interviews with the VHLM's GM's.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

This week I met with GM of the demons from the desert, @oilmandan of the Las Vegas Aces.  A newcomer to the GM role, oily has big shoes to fill as the team enters its twelvth season in the VHLM. Today we went over recruitment, amateur scouting, 

Edit: Since this interview took place, GM'ship of the Aces has transferred to @Matt_O and nobody told me!

For the uninitiated, are the Aces an original team, or did they expand at some point?

The Las Vegas Aces entered the VHLM in S54

That's relatively recently! Have you always been their GM or did you take the role on at a later time?

Yes very new! But we've had a good deal of success along the way as well. Vegas is always a threat to win.

It's actually my first season as GM in Vegas. I was assistant for a few seasons before stepping down to do other jobs in the league. Late in S65 I was approached about taking over Vegas and decided it was a good move for me. 

What do you take into consideration when you sign new players?

For a brand new member I usually look closely at where they joined from. Anyone from an affiliate league or from another sim league goes straight to the top. 

We've had some success with players who have joined from reddit as well as you tube to an extent. It's hard to get a read ok someone with no apparent sim league experience, but if you engage with them early, you get a good idea right away.

Coming from no sim league experience myself, I can definitely see that. Do you have any favorite rookies on your team in the upcoming season?

In general I'm very excited about what Kefka Palazzo can contribute once they get comfortable.  (Editor's note: Palazzo has gone 5-17-22 at a +22 this season).

For new members, I'm hoping Virgil Ligriv can help steal some games in goal. (Editor's note: 11W, 38L, 0.871 sv).

How about on other teams? Is there a standout player on any other VHLM team that you wish was a member of the Aces?

There are several players I'd love to have. Brian Strong would be a great asset to have to fill out our top line. I think he'd really fit in well. (Editor's note: 28-46-77 at +25 this season).

Strong's Peace overall look to be a contender this season. Would you consider them a rival, or do you have another team in your sights?

Ya they look like a very good contender this year. 

As for rivals, not really. Maybe being that we both play New York I might consider Esso's Ottawa a friendly rival. Teams move and change management so often that its hard to really develop a real good rivalry. 

How about for you? Do you have an eye on a GM job in the VHL?

No I don't. I like trying to help out new users and players. And I like how cyclical the VHLM is too. Plus if there's as much belly aching in the VHL GM forum as there is in the VHLM one, that would definitely make me steer clear 

So what's next for the Las Vegas Aces?

Just gonna keep grinding for a Founders Cup like everyone else and prove myself as a GM.

On that note, any advice you have for aspiring GM's? 

Don't take shit from anyone. What works this year in terms of strategy may not work next year. Go with your gut everytime. And most importantly, it's a made up game, don't take it to seriously or spend too much time at it. Nobody should let it consume their life

That does it for my form questions, is there anything else you'd like to add for our readers?

To make sure to enjoy all of it. I joined this past August and my players VHL career is over a third finished already. And just have fun!

That does it for this week, next week I'll be interviewing @Eudaldkp of the recently relocated Minnesota Storm. Keep an eye out for updates.

699 Words

TPE for week ending June 30

Edited by HenrikZoiderberg

1 minute ago, HenrikZoiderberg said:

I'll interview you next season, already done the work on this one :D

it's ok, i was just scrolling through all activity and was like, oh someone wrote about Vegas, and I looked and then it was an interview with oilmandan.