Michael Johnson's Journals Playoffs Edition

fonziGG

06/18/2019

Today marks the day on the calendar that we’ve all been waiting for. It’s our first game against the Marlins in the playoffs. I’ve been growing restless and I know the rest of the guys have been. Training has been ramped up this week; we’re working harder, getting stronger and demanding our bodies to give it all. There’s this unprecedented hunger in the room that I can’t even put into words. In the weight lifting area, everyone is lifting with anger in their eyes. Meek Mill and Tory Lanez have been playing on repeat due to the shouting nature they have in their songs (I swear I’m not the DJ).

I hope we do well, I’m not nervous at all but I think if we can perform the way I know we can then we’ll be an absolute cracker of a team this playoffs. I spoke to my mom this morning and she’s been so encouraging and confident. She and my Dad have both been so enthusiastic and determined that I get my first adult league trophy. They’ve been waiting a very long time for this, since I put on a set of skates on. I’m working extra hard for them.

I think this might be Halifax’s last season to compete although I’ve been wrong in the past. People have been underestimating us this season yet we came second. We started off slow but improved as the season went on. Even though we have home ice advantage and came second in the VHLM, we feel like we have something to prove. It’s not even like there is pressure that we’re putting on ourselves. Well, maybe it is, but I’m not taking it that way. I look back at some of my best games this season and I have to get into that zone. I remember my warm up before playing Canada earlier this season where I got 47 saves on 48 shots. I’m ready to upset people, I’m ready to make some saves and push Halifax deep into the playoffs. I’m ready to win a fricken cup for this city.

The people of Halifax have so much faith in us, I just can’t believe how incredible this city has been. I was just at the gas station this morning, filling gas and every single one of the attendants were wishing us luck and telling me to train super hard. I realized then and there that the cup was more for the fans than us. They’ve been so diligent and patient. Imagine going to multiple finals in a row and lose. This is for them as well. I shared my story and thoughts with the team and they agreed. We’re dedicating this playoff hunt to the fans, to the people who work hard everyday and watch us to get away from the daily struggle. This is for the staff, the coaches, the organization. This is to everyone in Halifax, I’m dedicating myself for Halifax this offseason.

Lets go 21st!