Season 67 Mock Draft Series | Part 2 | Next-5

Season 67 Mock Draft Series | 1st Round

Part 2: The Next 5

In case you missed it: Click here for the Top-5 Mock Draft from earlier this week and see below for the picks. 

1.01 - Phil Marleau - C

1.02 - Bjorn Scoringsson - W 

1.03 - Hulk Hogan- D

1.04 - Aston Martin - C 

1.05 - Rayz Funk - G

1.06  – Vancouver Wolves – W|39 – L|29 – OTL|4 :que:

The Vancouver Wolves sneak into the playoffs with the fifth best record in the regular season thanks to their dynamic offense led by veterans Beau Louth, Jake Davis and Rauno Palo – all of which were drafted in S62 or prior. Last off-season, they used the second overall pick to select winger Julius Freeman who put up a 12-27-39 stat line this season and has been developing very nicely for the Wolves. Their back-end is led by two more S62 veterans in Shawn Glade and Konstantin Mulligan, who are both top defensemen in the league. Overall, the roster is very well built right now but they need to start looking towards the future to build around the likes of Julius Freeman.

The Pick: ACL TEAR – Winger – Ottawa Lynx  @Quik

1639471.png

Analysis: The second Lynx prospect off the board is ACL TEAR and Vancouver is ecstatic to grab him here at six. Of all the prospects in this class, TEAR may be the most VHL-ready and can immediately step in and make an impact. The one aspect that may turn General Managers off a bit is his style of play. Simply put, he’s an old-school style enforcer-grinder hybrid with little high-end offensive skill. He has managed 11 goals and 16 assists in the regular season for a high scoring Ottawa team. His strengths are checking, fighting, defense and strength while his areas to improve on are most of the offensive categories. It will be interesting to see where TEAR goes on draft night, will a team take an early gamble with the hopes of him developing more offense?

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1.07  – HC Davos - W|37 – L|27 – OTL|8 :dav:

Davos is back on the clock with the seventh pick in the draft after selecting center Aston Martin with their first pick in this mock. Davos is currently battling in the first round of the playoffs and will have another opportunity here to add to the prospect cupboard. Despite selecting Paddywagon and Past in Season 66, I think Davos here goes defense again and takes one of the biggest risers of this draft.

The Pick: Lincoln Tate – Defense – San Diego Marlins @Tate

Shea%20Weber.jpg

Analysis: This may seem like a reach to some experts around the league, but Lincoln Tate has been earmarked as a sleeper in this draft for several weeks. His development with San Diego has raised the eyebrows of a handful of VHL teams, I’m told. Scouts describe Tate as a smooth, puck-moving defenseman who can provide high-end offense on a nightly basis. This is seen by his offensive production this season at San Diego. He led the team in overall scoring with 20 goals and 68 assists in just 65 games played, which is 7 less games than the rest of the team. This was also good for second best amongst all defenseman in the VHLM. Davos adds yet another dangerous young weapon to their blueline here with Lincoln Tate.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1.08  – Seattle Bears (via CAL) - W|23 – L|40 – OTL|9 :sea:

Seattle clearly owns the first round of the Season 67 VHL Draft. This is their third pick in the top eight as the continue to look to build out their roster and prospect depth. This pick was acquired in a trade with the Calgary Wranglers in the blockbuster deal that saw Matt Thompson, Maxim Kovalchuk and Sebastian Ironside go from Seattle to Calgary. So far in this mock draft, the Bears have selected Phil Marleau first overall and goaltender Rayz Funk fifth overall. With the roster desperate for all-around talent, the Bears look to fill out the defense here.

The Pick: Boone Jenton – Defense – Philadelphia Reapers @FakeJenton

n7opnmrzu1wnr1pn.jpg?skj2io4l

Analysis: The “Big 3” on defense of this draft are Hogan, Tate and Jenton, I could really see them going in several different orders. Nonetheless, the Bears are thrilled to add Boone Jenton to their team at the eighth pick. The second Reaper to go in the first round behind Scoringsson, Jenton had himself a very solid first professional season with 8 goals and 55 assists which put him sixth best on the roster. Jenton can skate very well and transition from defense to offense at a high level. He also plays a very sound defensive game in his own end. He may be the best pure defensive prospect in the draft. Marleau, Funk and Jenton is one hell of a haul for the last placed Bears.

1.09  – Riga Reign - W|42 – L|23 – OTL|7 :rig:

The Reign finished with the second best record in the regular season and when you look at their roster you can see why. They are stacked with high-end talent at all positions headlined by Podrick Cast, Edwin Preencarnacion, Ryan Kastelic and Kallis Kirketers in net. Las season they used the number one overall pick to take sensational prospect Hunter Hearst Helmsley who had himself a respectable 50 point rookie season for the Reign. Riga is clearly set up for success, but will use this pick to try and find one of the hidden gems in this class.

The Pick: Michael Gary Scott – Right Wing – Mexico City Kings @Motzaburger

staal.jpg

Analysis: Riga takes one of my favorite players in this class in Michael Gary Scott of the Kings. Like Lincoln Tate, Scott has been rising up draft boards over the last few weeks thanks to his performance on and off the ice. Scott was featured on a very talented Kings roster and put up gaudy numbers with 42 goals and 42 assists, second most points on the roster. The 42 goals put him seventh best in the entire VHLM this regular season. Despite his size at 5’6 and 179 pounds, he manages to find himself in great scoring position frequently. His goal scoring is obviously his most dominant feature, but his puck skills and skating are also in the top tier of this class. Riga lands a potential star here with Michael Gary Scott.

1.10  – Calgary Wranglers - W|39 – L|28 – OTL|5 :cal:

While the Wranglers traded their pick to Seattle in the aforementioned blockbuster deal, they managed to get back a first round pick in this draft in a trade with Helsinki. The Wranglers had themselves a very good regular season, finishing in third place due to strong offense down the middle and rock solid goaltending from Brick Wahl. They haven’t gotten much out of their S66 draft prospects so this pick here could be crucial in the long-term for the Wranglers.

The Pick: Acyd Burn – Right Wing – Halifax 21st  @Acydburn@Acydburn

Mikael%20Granlund.jpg

Analysis: Calgary goes with offensive-minded winger, Acyd Burn from Halifax. Burn really turned on the jets in the second half of the season after somewhat of a slow start and finished the season with an impressive 30 goals and 51 assists. He’s been surrounded this season by talented offensive players such as Blake Gaudette and AJ Axelsen, but Burn quietly put up a very strong season. He plays the game with speed and has a dangerous, quik shot off the wing. Sticking Burn on a line with one of Calgary’s veteran centermen could be fun to watch.

Edited by Sullvino

1 hour ago, Sullvino said:

1.07  – HC Davos - W|37 – L|27 – OTL|8 :dav:

Davos is back on the clock with the seventh pick in the draft after selecting center Aston Martin with their first pick in this mock. Davos is currently battling in the first round of the playoffs and will have another opportunity here to add to the prospect cupboard. Despite selecting Paddywagon and Past in Season 66, I think Davos here goes defense again and takes one of the biggest risers of this draft.

The Pick: Lincoln Tate – Defense – San Diego Marlins @Tate

Absolute disrespect putting Tate after ACL. Besides that it was a great read.

Edited by Big Mac

• Commissioner
On 6/19/2019 at 6:14 PM, Sullvino said:

1.10  – Calgary Wranglers - W|39 – L|28 – OTL|5 :cal:

While the Wranglers traded their pick to Seattle in the aforementioned blockbuster deal, they managed to get back a first round pick in this draft in a trade with Helsinki. The Wranglers had themselves a very good regular season, finishing in third place due to strong offense down the middle and rock solid goaltending from Brick Wahl. They haven’t gotten much out of their S66 draft prospects so this pick here could be crucial in the long-term for the Wranglers.

The Pick: Acyd Burn – Right Wing – Halifax 21st  @Acydburn@Acydburn

Mikael%20Granlund.jpg

Analysis: Calgary goes with offensive-minded winger, Acyd Burn from Halifax. Burn really turned on the jets in the second half of the season after somewhat of a slow start and finished the season with an impressive 30 goals and 51 assists. He’s been surrounded this season by talented offensive players such as Blake Gaudette and AJ Axelsen, but Burn quietly put up a very strong season. He plays the game with speed and has a dangerous, quik shot off the wing. Sticking Burn on a line with one of Calgary’s veteran centermen could be fun to watch.

Yes, 5 minutes less average ice time and playing on the second line compared to the first, but only being behind by 3 less points and having more TPE means I go behind MGS.. makes sense :rolleyes:

Edited by Acydburn

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Acydburn said:

Yes, 5 minutes less average ice time and playing on the second line compared to the first, but only being behind by 3 less points and having more TPE means I go behind MGS.. makes sense :rolleyes:

This is me poking fun at this being "unbiased" =P

32 minutes ago, Acydburn said:

This is me poking fun at this being "unbiased" =P

There's not really any bias here - just my rankings may be different than others. That's the beauty of a draft ?

7 hours ago, Acydburn said:

if you have more TPE shouldn't you have more points then regardless of ice time ;) I started behind this season tbh and was on 2nd line for 2-3 weeks and averaged less ice time than other high scorers on my team. That's just my defence :D to each their own tho. Draft order doesn't really matter either tho tbh, it's all in the GM's hands of who they think will benefit them most. I don't think "pick the best player" really applies in VHL all that much. Correct me if I'm wrong VHL GMs

SzFC2RM.gif

• Commissioner
16 minutes ago, Motzaburger said:

if you have more TPE shouldn't you have more points then regardless of ice time ;) I started behind this season tbh and was on 2nd line for 2-3 weeks and averaged less ice time than other high scorers on my team. That's just my defence :D to each their own tho. Draft order doesn't really matter either tho tbh, it's all in the GM's hands of who they think will benefit them most. I don't think "pick the best player" really applies in VHL all that much. Correct me if I'm wrong VHL GMs

SzFC2RM.gif

Was more making fun of it and I only had more TPE towards the end =P. The draft is a wildcard and based on positional needs.