Riga Disappoints in S66 Playoffs (Chico Smeb Perspective)

xDParK

Well it was quite the little roller coaster ride for Chico Smeb in his rookie season in the VHL. Being drafted by Davos then quickly being traded to Riga days later because of cap reasons. After a fairly strong regular season by Riga it was looking good heading into the playoffs. Of course, he had to match up against his former team in the first round, but still, Riga was definitely the favourite to win this series, so Chico wasn't too worried. 

Of course it had to go completely wrong for Chico and his team. Davos completely dominated the series start to finish, ultimately sweeping Riga. Riga's offense was putrid, only scoring 1 goal in the first game, 1 goal in the second game, 2 goals in the third game, and none in the final game. Absolutely awful showing from the offense/

Riga's goalie didn't even play bad at all, putting up a very solid save percentage. It was the awful offense who was a huge letdown, including Chico who played on the 2nd line with Cast and Encarnation. Chico only registered 1 lousy assist in the 4 games, and was also a -4, not a great turnout for him and the offense at all. 

We caught up with Mr. Smeb for a quik interview. 

Interviewer: So Chico, how was your first playoff experience in the VHL?

Chico Smeb: To be honest it was awful. It's pretty embarrassing to get swept like that by the team that drafted you, especially since we were favoured to win the series. I'm over it now, and I'll look to bounce back next year, but yeah, it was a pretty bad experience.

Interviewer: Any hard feelings towards your old teammates on Davos, or the GM?

Chico Smeb: Not at all, I'm happy for my friend Kylrad and the other guys. Definitely no hard feelings towards the GM at all either. I made a quik joke in their discord and wished them luck going forward. I hope they win it all to be honest. 

Interviewer: So now that you are done this season, are you looking to train hard this offseason to come back stronger next season?

Chico Smeb: Of course, I'm trying to find as much free time as I can to do tasks like this, it's hard, but I'm going to do my best to work hard this offseason and earn as much TPE as I can. I really feel like we can come back even stronger next season with the great group of S66ers we have. Although we might be trading Cast and Encarnation, which could be a problem.

Interviewer: Final question, who do you think takes home the cup this season?

Chico Smeb: I want to say Davos, because they are easily my favourite team out of the final 4 remaining, but I have to predict Helsinki wins the championship, especially since they are already up 2-0 on Davos. I don't see a team from the other conference winning, so this Davos vs Helsinki is pretty much the championship series to me.

Words: 511