Aaltonen on the tragic postseason

GRZ

We got a hold of Mikko Aaltonen, after getting eliminated from the postseason by HC Davos Dynamo in a shocking 4-0 fashion, here's what the rookie had to say.

Greetings Mikko, as we know this might be a hard time for you currently as you just got eliminated from the postseason in a manner that nobody really expected, what happened?
"Eh.... you know, it feels terrible I'm not gonna hide it. Not because we got beaten by a certain team, but because we didn't perform as we expected... We couldn't really get into any game, and when we did we got shut down almost instantly. I can tell you for sure the right team won this series, but nonetheless, disappointed with our and especially my performance.
Both teams went into the postseason with limbering recent game results, was that a factor in this series?
"As you can tell it clearly affected only 1 team here *laughs*, but for real, I felt like we kinda relaxed at the end of the regular season and that might be what hurt us, but it's pointless looking at the past and what happened, now we gotta move forward and work even harder to ensure that situations like these don't happen anymore."
You previously mentioned you struggling in the playoffs, was that because of inexperience and being a rookie?
"I think definitely. My first season in the VHL went better than I expected given the circumstances and ice-time I was given, playing on a stacked team can be hard as a rookie, but I think I managed to do well with everything I was given, in the playoffs.....Man it felt really different. The speed, the plays people make.. now I think its safe to assume that anyone who makes it into the postseason can win the cup, the determination these guys have and the passion in which they play hockey is unbelievable, I'm wishing the best for Davos now, and I'll be cheering them on going further.
Riga Reign had picked up quite the amount of rookies last draft, couple of them even played in VHL this season, do you think this perhaps was a reason to not getting the results you expected?
"Definitely... Our GM did amazing at the draft, picking up talented players, but with all this comes the inexperience.. None of us have played on this level yet, and that gives us a disadvantage against the seasoned vets out there. What you have to consider is that we ran 3 full lines, which in itself limits ice-time for veterans such as Cast and Edwin, and gives rookies like HHH, Matthews, Sigurdsson and myself enough ice-time where we could impact the game. Right now this might be the inefficient way to try and win cups and series, but it paints a good situation for the future. I feel like we have a really young core right now, which can only improve going further, we'll get the experience and skills playing alongside these veterans, and soon enough we'll be able to play just like them, and then again Riga will be considered a stacked team."
Something that wasn't mentioned previously is that you played vs your old teammate in Philadelphia - Charlie Paddywagon, how was it seeing your previous teammate against you on the ice?
"It was fun, we talked before the games and after the games, and you could easily see us trying to best the other one in the series, I'm happy that I've met long lasting friendships in Philly, and I hope that I'll get to play with or against them in VHL.
600 words, claiming for week ending 30/06, 6+6 theme week

Edited by GRZ