Offer Sheets

Hello everyone,

All this talk in the NHL about offer sheets has gotten me thinking about why we don't have them here. Since careers are only 8 seasons long and 3 of them are spent as RFA's it makes sense. What happens if you get drafted by a team you don't like? or get drafted by a GM that wants to bench you for cap reasons? Adding Offer sheets would add some additional protection to the players and not harm the General Manager.

This was the scale I was thinking of.

200+ TPE -  2nd round pick

300+ TPE - 1st round pick

400+ TPE - 1st round pick + 2nd round

500+ TPE - 1st round pick + 1st round pick

700+ TPE 1st round pick + 1st round Pick + 2nd round pick + 2nd round pick

Example: Hunter Hearst Helmsley TPE: 589 gets an offer sheet from Vancouver Wolves (not possible since I cannot sign myself)

I accept my offer sheet

Riga would then get Three days to accept the contract or they get compensation.

Riga takes the compensation

Vancouver Wolves would then forfeit to the Riga Reign their next 2 first round picks (ONLY if they have there first rounds)

RULES:

1. Teams cannot go over their cap if a contract is signed.
  2. The next soonest picks that match the compensation would be given.
  3. If the three days pass without an answer from the opposing General Manager the compensation is given.
  4. If the offering team does not have any of the picks required the offer is void.

What are your thoughts? Is this a cool idea? What do you dislike about it? If this idea is accepted then we would have the change the auto 3 season ELC in the portal (in the rules you can sign for less than 3 seasons)

Edited by Beaviss

This might be more in depth.. and I haven’t really read it but refer to the VHL Rulebook, section 4 “Free Agency” which starts with RFA’s. 

I also don’t believe it’s an auto 3 ELC as in the past players have signed for less etc

5 minutes ago, Banackock said:

This might be more in depth.. and I haven’t really read it but refer to the VHL Rulebook, section 4 “Free Agency” which starts with RFA’s. 

I also don’t believe it’s an auto 3 ELC as in the past players have signed for less etc

Alot of the rule book needs to be updated. I wanted it to move to TPE instead of contracts since most people sign for minimum anyways.

Current rule: (which might be outdated)

4 – FREE AGENCY 

4.1 – Restricted Free Agents

After being drafted a player will be considered a restricted free agent for the following two off-seasons. A draftee cannot be offered an RFA contract during the off-season in which they are drafted. (ex. S1 Draftee would be restricted for S2 and S3 off-seasons regardless of whether their first deal is one or two seasons)

In order to retain the rights of a restricted free agent, as outlined below, the team must offer their restricted free agent the minimum amount of salary for their TPE bracket for a maximum of one season.

• Restricted Free Agents are eligible to have their rights traded
  • A restricted free agent will therefore be determined as being a player that is still in their first two off-seasons after the draft but have had their rookie deals expire.
  • Any team in the league is eligible to offer a restricted free agent an offer sheet. There is no requirement on raises, as the restricted free agent can sign any offer sheet they wish to. Any offer must be within 1-5 years, and meet the TPE – Salary commitments as per Section 2.2. A player who enters RFA will be subject to prime minimum and maximum salaries instead of the rookie minimums and maximums, but this can only be offered by teams who do not own the restricted free agents' rights.
  • If a player signs an offer sheet, their team has the ability to match the offer sheet if they wish to, which will be for the exact terms of the signed offer sheet. However if they do not want to match the offer, they will be awarded compensation based on the following table:
Averaged Annual Salary Offer        Compensation
Under $1 500 000                 2nd Round Pick (Next Draft)

$1 500 000 - $2 499 999          Two 2nd Round Picks (Next Draft)

$2 500 000 - $4 499 999          1st, 2nd Round Picks (Next Draft)

$4 500 000 - $7 000 000          Two 1st Round Picks (Next Draft)

• In order for a team to be able to offer for a restricted free agent, they must possess all of their own draft picks that pertain to the compensation levels above.

22 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Alot of the rule book needs to be updated. I wanted it to move to TPE instead of contracts since most people sign for minimum anyways.

I feel like there should be a combination of the two. Contract $ and TPE. Then of course basic RFA like compensation and manager allowed to match.

Definitely out-dated. RFA was removed in the switch to the portal. In ~60 seasons, there was maybe 1 case of an Offer Sheet being used. Aside from the rarity of it ever even coming close to happening, @Will and I discussed it at the time, it's not worth all the extra effort in coding RFA status/compensations for something that happens once every 10 real life years. There's a reason they're not used in the NHL, and a reason they'll never be used if they were a thing here. It's never worth it to overpay a player enough that their team would decline. So then it would literally be coding something that is only used to fuck over other teams.

• Senior Admin
1 minute ago, Quik said:

Definitely out-dated. RFA was removed in the switch to the portal. In ~60 seasons, there was maybe 1 case of an Offer Sheet being used. Aside from the rarity of it ever even coming close to happening, @Will and I discussed it at the time, it's not worth all the extra effort in coding RFA status/compensations for something that happens once every 10 real life years. There's a reason they're not used in the NHL, and a reason they'll never be used if they were a thing here. It's never worth it to overpay a player enough that their team would decline. So then it would literally be coding something that is only used to fuck over other teams.

Yup, never saw the RFA rules used once in my time here. 

7 minutes ago, Will said:

Yup, never saw the RFA rules used once in my time here. 

id use them if they were there.

37 minutes ago, Quik said:

Definitely out-dated.

As a general complaint, someone needs to go through the rulebook with a fine toothed comb and update EVERYTHING in there. It was one of the first resources I came across as a new player and so much of it is out of date that people just told me to ignore it.

10 minutes ago, Enorama said:

As a general complaint, someone needs to go through the rulebook with a fine toothed comb and update EVERYTHING in there. It was one of the first resources I came across as a new player and so much of it is out of date that people just told me to ignore it.

This

This is a really amazing idea and it will make players like myself wanna leave a team that they don't really fit in and leave with the team gaining at least something from it. I hope the league really consider to add this. I was really surprised that this wasn't actually a thing when I joined months ago

So how long do you want teams to control players for?

They already get 3 out of 8 years. Are you suggesting adding additional years of control for a team? Or are you suggesting losing guaranteed control time and allowing restricted contracts during the first 3 years of control?

If anything, players have more freedom than their NHL counterparts, since there is no restricted free agency period after your rookie contract is up. If we truly mirrored the NHL, it would be something like:

3 year rookie contract

2 years of restricted control

3 years of free player movement

I don't think anyone wants that, and I don't see a reason to change how it is now. This is something that very, very few people would use (as evidenced by the decade of having these rules in place and maybe it happening 1 time) and just because a huge hassle to create the rules and get it programmed in the portal.

On top of that, this would also make the salary cap situation worse. Already, anyone now who takes more than the minimum contract is actively harming their team, since the cap is designed with all players taking the minimum.

It's something that sounds cool in theory but doesn't work in practice.

16 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

So how long do you want teams to control players for?

They already get 3 out of 8 years. Are you suggesting adding additional years of control for a team? Or are you suggesting losing guaranteed control time and allowing restricted contracts during the first 3 years of control?

If anything, players have more freedom than their NHL counterparts, since there is no restricted free agency period after your rookie contract is up. If we truly mirrored the NHL, it would be something like:

3 year rookie contract

I don't think anyone wants that, and I don't see a reason to change how it is now. This is something that very, very few people would use (as evidenced by the decade of having these rules in place and maybe it happening 1 time) and just because a huge hassle to create the rules and get it programmed in the portal.

On top of that, this would also make the salary cap situation worse. Already, anyone now who takes more than the minimum contract is actively harming their team, since the cap is designed with all players taking the minimum.

It's something that sounds cool in theory but doesn't work in practice.

with the increased population of the site I can see if being used way more often. Back when it wasn't happening it was the same group of people for almost all that time. The amount of new players have never been higher id say over half the population now if the VHL is on there first / second characters.

4 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

with the increased population of the site I can see if being used way more often. Back when it wasn't happening it was the same group of people for almost all that time. The amount of new players have never been higher id say over half the population now if the VHL is on there first / second characters.

You still didn't answer my questions on how to actually implement it.  Scratch that, most of it is in the OP.

Also, the bold isn't really true. Yes, there's a good amount of members still here who were there then, but you're underestimating the member turnover from calendar year to calendar year, especially from years roughly 5-10.

Edited by flyersfan1453

4 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

And I fail to see why having newer members means this will be used more often.

If a player doesn't want to play on a team, the vast, vast majority of the time, the player is traded away.

It doesn't, this idea isn't good. You're giving the rights to players for way too long for too short of careers unless you want to shorten rookie contracts. RFAs are a thing because NHL careers are exceptionally longer than VHL careers.

Edited by Kyle

4 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

And I fail to see why having newer members means this will be used more often.

If a player doesn't want to play on a team, the vast, vast majority of the time, the player is traded away.

I know but for example the hype and excitement that the Aho offer sheet brought up could be brought here. Offer sheets could be a ton of fun as a GM imo.

Just now, Beaviss said:

I know but for example the hype and excitement that the Aho offer sheet brought up could be brought here. Offer sheets could be a ton of fun as a GM imo.

What hype?

Everyone knew Carolina would match except for the Canadian media, who just LOVES the idea of a Canadian team taking a player from one of those southern expansion teams.

Just now, flyersfan1453 said:

What hype?

Everyone knew Carolina would match except for the Canadian media, who just LOVES the idea of a Canadian team taking a player from one of those southern expansion teams.

Your saying that the Aho offer sheet didn't create any buzz around the league? Mandatory 3 season contracts for rookies is too long IMO that's why my suggestion is an ELC is between 1-3 seasons and if they refuse to sign after 1/2 the team still holds there rights and can still get assets back. The shortness of a VHL career should promote this not fight against it.

17 hours ago, flyersfan1453 said:

3 year rookie contract

Since I don't think it was directly answered, I believe the proposal would be in lieu of the rookie contract, so it'd still be 5 seasons of free player movement (unless I misread it).