Playoff MVP - Easy Win or Well-Contested? [1/2]

Advantage

WHO SHOULD BE PLAYOFF MVP?

Written by Christopher Miller

I was struggling for things to write this week and while sifting through the playoff statistics, I noticed that the Helsinki Titans have quite a few players within a point or two of each other.  Considering that they stomped all over the Vancouver Wolfpack in four games, it is clear that one of them will receive the most Playoff MVP votes.  But who? Four different players have between 14 and 16 points, while two other players (defenders) are above a point per game as well.  To make things even more difficult, their goaltender was absolutely ridiculous throughout the playoffs.  Therefore, I wanted to write an article talking about who should be the main candidates for Playoff MVP, with my last choice being my likely winner.

Honourable Mention – Kronos Bailey – 7G, 7A, 14P, +5, 25 Hits

Kronos Bailey is really developing into an excellent player.  After back-to-back 85+ point seasons, the young center has continued to rack up the accomplishments after polishing off a very successful season, with a tremendous playoff.  In nine games, the Titan forward recorded 7 goals and 14 points while being a physical presence at all times.  He tied for second on the team in goals with Borwinn, but proved to be a more complete package than the 114 point winger during their playoff run.  While he will not win Playoff MVP, it is more to do with how many strong performances there were for the Titans on route to losing just one game over the two series they were involved in.

2nd Runner Up – Sidney Crosby – 4G, 10A, 14P, +10, 28 Hits, 11 SB

Sidney Crosby has been improving ever since his troubling sophomore season in Season 64.  He had just 36 points that year before jumping to 63 and eventually 77 this season.  He has also become a more physical presence recording over 200 hits for the first time since his rookie season.  His playoff run is better than some of the past Playoff MVP’s, which makes it crazy to be putting him as the third best candidate.  The defender recorded 14 points in 9 games, was a +10 and recorded 28 hits and 11 SB.  To put it into perspective, his playoff totals average out to 32 goals and 112 points over a full 72 game season.  Crosby stepped up in a big way for the Titans this playoff run and that makes him one of the major reasons they walked through both teams they faced on route to the Continental Cup.

1st Runner Up – Alexander Pepper – 8-1-0, .931 SV%, 2.15 GAA

In an era where goaltenders recording above.920 save percentage is considered elite, Alexander Pepper stepped up in a massive way in their 9 game playoff run.  In those 9 games, he recorded a .931 SV% and 2.15 GAA and being an almost unbeatable presence at times along the way.  To improve Pepper’s chances of winning, it’s important to note that he recorded a .935 SV% during the finals which is very impressive given that often players stack their numbers in the prior rounds.

Winner – Matt Thompson – 10G, 6A, 16P, +9, 49 Hits, 2 GW

For me, there is no one that quite had the playoff run that Matt Thompson had for the Titans.  He recorded over a goal per game and led the playoffs in goals (despite playing less games than pretty much anyone close to him) and had the most hits of anyone who didn’t play 17 games.  All in all, his numbers average out to a 80 goal, 128 point, 392 hit pace, which is absolutely ridiculous.  For me what seals the deal is that he had a fantastic finals performance against the Wolves, that saw him record 4 goals and 6 points in the 4 games, while contributing a whopping 30 hits in the series (yes, that is almost 8 hits per game).  His physical presence was outstanding, and he still scored at a goal per game pace in the finals.  For those reasons, Matt Thompson should be your Playoff MVP.

• Commissioner

Hopefully you’re right, we’ll see how things go. I’ve never had a Kanou before and the playoffs definitely went well for me (1.7 PPG) so it would be great to grab one up but who knows. Goalies and Defense men definitely don’t get the attention the deserve sometimes so it’s possible the committee will prefer Pepper or Crosby; not that they are remotely undeserving.

I’m mostly happy to win the cup but yeah, would love a Kanou as icing on the cake. Pepper would be excellent as well as far as I’m concerned since I predicted him to win it haha 

I think it should be Pepper. He put up insane stats, and there are four guys in Helsinki that finished with 14 or more points. You could make the argument for all of them. The biggest difference between Vancouver and Helsinki was the goaltending. If you eliminate Pepper Vancouver would win the series. If you take away Thompson, Helsinki still would likely win in six.

Also, if we consider the losing team as well, Shawn Glade should win it no doubt if we take both teams into account. If we take only the winning team, then Pepper should win. Thompson a close second

• Admin

To me I think Stopko in S63 wasn’t that impressive historically but we got excited by a good goaltending performance, and I get a similar impression from Pepper - we’ve kind of lowered our expectations for goalies the last few seasons and I’m not sure if there’s enough evidence to warrant that shift yet. Granted S64 Stopko and last years Carison were very much up to standard but I’d also edge for Thompson here.

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

oz4ep.jpg

beketov in this thread

Just this thread? That’s been me for Thompson’s whole career. Gotta pad that HoF ballot.

• Commissioner
39 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I'm sorry but why would we consider the losing team when they were swept?

I mean 26 points for a defenseman is pretty impressive. I wouldn’t consider anyone but Glade though.

11 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean 26 points for a defenseman is pretty impressive. I wouldn’t consider anyone but Glade though.

In 17 games...its very good but his point pace is actually worse than Crosbys.  26 in 17 Is 110

Review: Beketov winning playoff MVP is a bitter sweet feeling for him. It seems as if he put on a show in the playoffs and is very deserving of the award. It is tough to argue against him but the candidates aren't slouches so it was tough but he fits the bill. I'm a little goalie biased and would have said Pepper myself but either way, it's still a great choice.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Playoff MVP - Easy Win or Well-Contested? [1/2]