Review of My Off-Season Moves Thus Far - Part 1 [1/2]

Advantage

Overview of my Off-Season Moves Thus Far – Part 1

As we near the VHL Draft, I wanted to look at my moves so far in this off-season.  I, along with many others, have made quite a few.  Essentially, my purpose is to explain why I made these moves, and while I cannot fully justify them due to not wanting to give away strategy (especially regarding draft picks), I will give as much detail as possible to be sure.

MALMO RECEIVES:

S67 Davos 1st Round Pick (7th Overall)

HC DAVOS RECEIVES:

S69 Malmo 1st Round Pick

S69 Malmo 4th Round Pick

This trade was simply made because I had a certain target with the seventh overall pick.  Originally the target was quite different though, as I intended to be selecting a different player with the first of my two picks.  Nevertheless though, I am very happy I made this trade. 

Ultimately, I figured that getting an excellent asset at 7th overall and continuing to build with my young, active team will set me up in good position during the Season 68 Regular Season, so that our 1st Round Pick will hopefully not be a lotto one.  This trade is not without it’s risks, but I am confident that it will work out with who we are hoping to take with that selection.

I also assume we may have Expansion Teams involved by then that might lower my pick even more so, which means that it may even be a lower pick than seven.  Ultimately though, I think this is a solid trade for both teams and may work out that way in the end as well.

MALMO RECEIVES:

S67 Moscow 1st Round Pick (1st Overall)

Chace Trepanier

MOSCOW RECEIVES:

S67 Malmo 1st Round Pick (3rd Overall)

S67 Malmo 2nd Round Pick (12th Overall)

S69 Malmo 2nd Round Pick

Without a doubt, Moscow wins this trade.  I knew it was a lot when I made this move but I had one guy in mind and I could not afford not to take him.  After having a significantly long and annoying bidding war with Seattle, we were able to finally top the offer and I moved on happy to at least get my guy.

Then I quickly realized I made a horrible mistake after the player I wanted to take was asking for far more money than I realized.  I won’t drop names or money totals, but it would have been impossible for my team given that it was for each of his first three seasons.  Sadly, while I had my heart truly set on that player, I realized I made a terrible mistake by moving up as I sacrificed not one, but two second round picks to do so.  To be honest, the S69 2nd doesn’t bother me but the 12th overall one is eating me alive.  Victor, after finding out, too his credit, acknowledged that had he not already made a deal involving some of the pieces with Riga, that perhaps we could reverse it and re-work it, but alas it was complete. 

I was very angry in that moment and made it known to that player, but truthfully while I think I had every right to be, had I just asked a couple more questions before making the trade official, I probably would have found out and I wouldn’t be writing about this.  Things happen for a reason though, and hopefully we can still make the most of all the assets we have.

Review:

I love these GM articles where you explain what went into the trades you make. Now that the draft is over and looking at everyone drafted; I don't think you can be too bummed. Obviously I'm overwhelmed that you picked me up at 3rd OA! I won't do what I did to @DollarAndADream with Bennington. I promise. This was a great, well thought out article that was presented nicely! An easy 6/6 back in the day! @Advantage :cheers: 

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Review:

I love these GM articles where you explain what went into the trades you make. Now that the draft is over and looking at everyone drafted; I don't think you can be too bummed. Obviously I'm overwhelmed that you picked me up at 3rd OA! I won't do what I did to @DollarAndADream with Bennington. I promise. This was a great, well thought out article that was presented nicely! An easy 6/6 back in the day! @Advantage :cheers: 

So you only directly screwed me over? You won't do it to anyone else? Wow! That's even more insulting!

11 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

So you only directly screwed me over? You won't do it to anyone else? Wow! That's even more insulting!

IT wasn't that it was you... blame my wife. I met her and married her. 

She's where you need to direct your scorn.

I really hope she's not looking over my shoulder right now.

Phil.. your not winning this.. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

IT wasn't that it was you... blame my wife. I met her and married her. 

She's where you need to direct your scorn.

I really hope she's not looking over my shoulder right now.

Phil.. your not winning this.. 

Tell your wife that some guy on the internet named DollarAndADream hates her.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Review of My Off-Season Moves Thus Far - Part 1 [1/2]