Facts and bits about the S66 playoffs - even more Helsinki

Victor

• Admin

Helsinki won the cup with 12 players, 10 of which were drafted by Helsinki – an all-time record. The only Titans not there since draft day were Thompson and Bailey, the latter solely because he wasn't drafted at all. I've not yet released the spreadsheet which shows this ranking, but the record previously belonged to S55 Helsinki who had 9 draftees + Shayne Gow who was drafted by the Titans, then was traded and returned later on. Quik was excited about the S63 draft from the day it concluded, and that made up the core of the team, but the longest serving player on Helsinki was actually drafted by Higgins in S62 (Dan Montgomery) @BarzalGoat – that sort of transition from contending cycle to contending cycle, from GM to GM, is partially why the Titans are the model franchise of the last few decades.

Odd tidbit, but despite the above model franchise chat, Helsinki hasn't had a goalie win the Shaw Trophy since before it was called the Shaw Trophy – Jakob Kjeldsen was the last Titan to be crowned top goaltender, back in S23 when Shaw was still active. The Titans have had lots of fine goalies since then, including Astrid Moon and the Hall of Famers Tuomas Tukio and Greg Clegane, but none of these won the Shaw in their time in Helsinki. So big chance for Pepper at the awards ceremony later this week. @Sonnet

• Admin
1 minute ago, Sonnet said:

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed this- it's been a career goal since I first got drafted and started digging into the history of Helsinki.

It was one of your posts that got me looking at that tbf, but still weird. Tukio and Clegane both had to go to Quebec and had unreal seasons there but both won cups in Helsinki and nowhere else.