S67 Draft order was wrong

Victor

• Admin

Davos picks should have been later than Riga's since Davos eliminated Riga in the playoffs. Also no idea why Davos and NY picks were the wrong order around solely in the 2nd round.

Nothing you can do now but I didn't want to be the only one living with this knowledge.

AFAIK, it's only the Finals that re-order, everything else is supposed to stay the same (except the lotto).

You're right on the 15/16 picks tho, clearly I messed that one up.

42 minutes ago, Quik said:

AFAIK, it's only the Finals that re-order, everything else is supposed to stay the same (except the lotto).

You're right on the 15/16 picks tho, clearly I messed that one up.

youre fired donald trump GIF

• Admin
On 7/4/2019 at 11:57 PM, Quik said:

No, playoff teams are always in reverse order of elimination (same round eliminations sorted by standings).

9 hours ago, Victor said:

No, playoff teams are always in reverse order of elimination (same round eliminations sorted by standings).

Are you sure? I could have sworn that was 1st round only, and then in 2nd round it went by regular season standings.

I'm doing this on my phone so can't see the standings well and we may be saying the same thing.

Edited by flyersfan1453

13 hours ago, Victor said:

Hmm..Add it to my eventual builder article I guess?

• Admin
4 hours ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Are you sure? I could have sworn that was 1st round only, and then in 2nd round it went by regular season standings.

I'm doing this on my phone so can't see the standings well and we may be saying the same thing.

Pretty sure, I suspect many seasons that’s the same thing so might not be obvious.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Victor said:

So wtf is going on this season @Will @Quik

FML I keep thinking only the Finalists change the order. I’ll fix it later. 

Tbh it’s pretty dumb to not go that way though. Makes no sense why getting upset gives you a better pick

42 minutes ago, Quik said:

Tbh it’s pretty dumb to not go that way though. Makes no sense why getting upset gives you a better pick

^ agreed on that. A team barely making the playoffs and upsetting a major contender shouldn't be rewarded by seeing all of their picks dropped by 2 or 3.

3 hours ago, Quik said:

FML I keep thinking only the Finalists change the order. I’ll fix it later. 

If the VHL is like this I would assume the VHLM is the same way? Or is the VHLM just the finalists and that's where some of the confusion is from?

I do agree it's dumb and probably should only be changed to only be based on finalists

The thing to bear in mind in regards to doing order of draft picks by regular season is that we operate in a league that gives an incentive for teams to grab players later on in the season through a reduced salary hit based on when they come in, therefore their regular season record isn't neccesarily a great indicator of how good the team is come the end of the season (which in turn would be closer to how they will look at the start of the following season), because some of their star players could have been playing elsewhere for 2/3 of the season. 

If the trade deadline had been more akin to say the NFL one (less than halfway through the season) I could see more of an argument in favour of regular season playing more of a part in the draft. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Tagger said:

The thing to bear in mind in regards to doing order of draft picks by regular season is that we operate in a league that gives an incentive for teams to grab players later on in the season through a reduced salary hit based on when they come in, therefore their regular season record isn't neccesarily a great indicator of how good the team is come the end of the season (which in turn would be closer to how they will look at the start of the following season), because some of their star players could have been playing elsewhere for 2/3 of the season. 

If the trade deadline had been more akin to say the NFL one (less than halfway through the season) I could see more of an argument in favour of regular season playing more of a part in the draft. 

This is also why I maintain that playoffs should be taken into consideration for the top GM vote.