Luciano Valentino thrilled to be drafted by HFX

Kekzkrieg

Luciano Valentino could not contain his excitement in being selected 53rd Overall in the VHLM Draft held this past Tuesday.

"Mama mia! I can't thank the Owner and General Manager of the Halifax 21st on believing in me and I can't wait to add to an already great team!" cheered Valentino in a phone interview with a Halifax 21st representative on the day of the draft. Valentino was home in Potenza, Italy at the time of the Draft surrounded by his biggest supporters, his family.

The Italian Defenseman celebrated his drafting by hitting the gym in preparation for the training that awaits him in Halifax.  Ice hockey isn't exactly Italy's strongest sport in the country but Valentino wants to help popularize it. "I grew up looking up to countrymen like Michele Strazzabosco and Gaetano Orlando that flourished in the leagues here but struggled when they went overseas. I want to adapt my game well enough so that I may not follow the same fate.", Valentino asserted which is a tall order for a young player getting drafted.

The following day, Valentino was taken by his to Bari, Italy to catch a 14-hour flight to Halifax. Valentino wanted to sleep on the flight but couldn't hide his overwhelming enthusiasm in meeting the team, experiencing the locker room and finally have his dream of a professional hockey career beginning.