5 Seasons Later, Tzuyu Remains Toronto's Only Draft Pick

Devise

Some call it the Devise method of madness, others continue to wait for the reckless nature of trading your picks to finally catch up with me, and then of course most just love sharing in the silly memes as the off-season opens and we wait until the other shoe drops. That shoe of course, is me trading away all my picks....something I'm known to do.

Still, this has probably been the most extreme case of this. I recall drafting here and there with most of my other GM runs, but somehow someway...Tzuyu @tfong remains the only player I drafted still on the team. Worse yet, I have not drafted a single player since Season 63. Along with Tzuyu we drafted Chace Trepanier, who briefly found his way back to the club as an inactive this past off-season before being traded, goalie Rhett Stoffiday who retired due to a large goalie pool, and winger Athanasios Andrianopoulos, who never made it out of the VHLM going inactive with just over 80 TPE. I have since gone on to skip the next 4 VHL entry drafts, and have already traded away all of my current eligible picks in both Season 68 and Season 69. 

Is this pure madness? Sort of, although I'm not going to lie I've never had the best success with drafting out of the first round. I've always been a surface level GM who gauges the players based on where they are at. While there are still tons of cases of players with less activity staying consistent with my squads, and me getting more out of a first gen here or there, the crapshoot that is player interests/needs that comes with drafting, as well as in some cases players especially post the first round not making the VHL for a season or two means drafting is all about micro managing your long term plans. 

As a GM my style has been all about reading the market to make the moves that make the most sense for the team I got. It's why straight up rebuilding is hard to justify when I'm stuck with Rift and do not wish to retire him. No matter what I do I'll have a capable VHL starter for the next several seasons. While I'm absolutely positive I'll make a draft pick again, I don't see myself drafting out of the first round every often. While the steals are there, and I think the GM's who are capable of nabbing them are absolutely leagues above me, I'm just happy my ability to trade/build teams somehow makes up for my lack of drafting persistence. 

Anyway, shot out to Tzuyu...who I'm hoping somehow remains the only Toronto draft pick on the roster for his entire career, because that would make this the most fitting Devise GM tenure of all time. 

Edited by Devise