Derek England has retired!

VHL Bot

He won't be back. If anyone doesn't know, he retired in at least all three leagues I'm in with him, after hating on women announcers in sports and getting absolutey blasted for it.

11 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

He won't be back. If anyone doesn't know, he retired in at least all three leagues I'm in with him, after hating on women announcers in sports and getting absolutey blasted for it.

That's unfortunate but he wasn't getting blasted here to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

That's a yikes, but not really something he needed to quit every league because of. Guess he was worried it'd cross into other leagues.

4 minutes ago, Quik said:

That's a yikes, but not really something he needed to quit every league because of. Guess he was worried it'd cross into other leagues.

Yeah, maybe a bit drastic but it started in the SHL discord, someone posted a screen cap of it on the SHL forums and within a few hours it was 20+ pages of almost unanimous comments against him and his thoughts. He furthered it by claiming it was because he was older and likened it to he not liking rap music. It spilled into the CHL discord where he was very active, as most of the members there are from the CHL. He must of just figured to cut his losses, maybe he plans on making a new account down the road? Who knows.

Before he left the SHL, he changed his profile picture to Bobby Riggs and sig to "BATTLE OF THE SEXES" featuring Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. For those who don't know, Riggs was a big time tennis player in the 30's and 40's and claimed in the 1970's that women's tennis was so inferior to mens, that at 55 years old he could beat one of the top women in her prime, Billie Jean King. She beat him and it was a pretty big deal for recognizing women in sports and such. So he was relishing in the hate for sure. 

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Yeah, maybe a bit drastic but it started in the SHL discord, someone posted a screen cap of it on the SHL forums and within a few hours it was 20+ pages of almost unanimous comments against him and his thoughts. He furthered it by claiming it was because he was older and likened it to he not liking rap music. It spilled into the CHL discord where he was very active, as most of the members there are from the CHL. He must of just figured to cut his losses, maybe he plans on making a new account down the road? Who knows.

Before he left the SHL, he changed his profile picture to Bobby Riggs and sig to "BATTLE OF THE SEXES" featuring Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. For those who don't know, Riggs was a big time tennis player in the 30's and 40's and claimed in the 1970's that women's tennis was so inferior to mens, that at 55 years old he could beat one of the top women in her prime, Billie Jean King. She beat him and it was a pretty big deal for recognizing women in sports and such. So he was relishing in the hate for sure. 

1. That sounds exactly like the SHL, I guess they’ve still never grown up over there.

2. Is there a lot of CHL crossover? I don’t even recognize the name?

9 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

source.gif

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

1. That sounds exactly like the SHL, I guess they’ve still never grown up over there.

Exactly. It was horrible for it when I was super active on there around 17-24. Only good time was when DA and I joined around S3/4... lol

Tpxic members and site. There’s a reason a I update and that’s it on there. 

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Lots of guys from here are there too. Brand new sim league, just had it's first regular season sims yesterday.

Just now, TheFlash said:

Lots of guys from here are there too. Brand new sim league, just had it's first regular season sims yesterday.

No new league lasts, lol.. there’s been probably 50+ and they all eventually die

2 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Exactly. It was horrible for it when I was super active on there around 17-24. Only good time was when DA and I joined around S3/4... lol

Tpxic members and site. There’s a reason a I update and that’s it on there. 

Everyone has their preferences. Everytime I speak to anyone that's a hardcore SHLer they have lots of bad stuff to say about the VHL. Both leagues are a lot of fun IMO.

Just now, Banackock said:

No new league lasts, lol.. there’s been probably 50+ and they all eventually die

Yeah I've been around sim leagues for 10 years, I've seen many die.

Doesn't mean they can't, if not so many people had a negative attitude towards change and new leagues maybe more would last

14 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Everyone has their preferences. Everytime I speak to anyone that's a hardcore SHLer they have lots of bad stuff to say about the VHL. Both leagues are a lot of fun IMO.

SHL is 100x more toxic. Remember, I’ve been a member since S3/4 on there and SHL used to be my only league until i came to the VHL in the 30’s or early 40’s

Ive never really seen toxic threads like the SHL on the VHL. SHL has one at least once a season. The sim is great, a large portion of the community is toxic and full of immature kids. 

4 minutes ago, Banackock said:

SHL is 100x more toxic. Remember, I’ve been a member since S3/4 on there and SHL used to be my only league until i came to the VHL in the 30’s or early 40’s

Ive never really seen toxic threads like the SHL on the VHL. SHL has one at least once a season. The sim is great, a large portion of the community is toxic and full of immature kids. 

I disagree, I think both leagues have members that are "toxic " and general assholes. VHL probably has more of the asshole variety.  They have way more activity over there, the forum is much busier then our forum. Their discord is pretty dead, so most stuff is out in the open and right there for you to see. I've met a lot of people over there that are wicked dudes, probably more so than I have on here (not that I haven't met good people here, just not as much chatting goes on). They also have over double the membership we have, so the likelyhood of coming across someone who is a bit "toxic" as you say, is maybe higher.

There are a lot of things that the SHL does that the VHL could adopt to be a better place, no question IMO. 

10 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I disagree, I think both leagues have members that are "toxic " and general assholes. VHL probably has more of the asshole variety.  They have way more activity over there, the forum is much busier then our forum. Their discord is pretty dead, so most stuff is out in the open and right there for you to see. I've met a lot of people over there that are wicked dudes, probably more so than I have on here (not that I haven't met good people here, just not as much chatting goes on). They also have over double the membership we have, so the likelyhood of coming across someone who is a bit "toxic" as you say, is maybe higher.

There are a lot of things that the SHL does that the VHL could adopt to be a better place, no question IMO. 

I've never been a member over there but I have browsed and I actually believe the last sentence is very true.

I also don't understand why people in each league hold an 'Us vs. Them' type attitude so strongly.

Just now, JeffD said:

I've never been a member over there but I have browsed and I actually believe the last sentence is very true.

I also don't understand why people in each league hold an 'Us vs. Them' type attitude so strongly.

There's a very strong divide between the leagues, I've noticed a lot of people have chosen a side and vehemently despise the other. 

2 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

There's a very strong divide between the leagues, I've noticed a lot of people have chosen a side and vehemently despise the other. 

Oh I've noticed that big time. If I wasn't so tied to this league I'd probably create over there as well but I just don't have the time. I actually much prefer the forum dynamic to the discord one but that may just be me being an old person.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I spent ages cleaning the SHL forum up when i helped them move from IF to Jcink, probably a solid week of making sure everything was set up perfectly. Within a week they had completely destroyed it and turned the forums and sub forums into an impossible to navigate clusterfuck. That’s why I dislike them haha

• Commissioner
Just now, JeffD said:

Oh I've noticed that big time. If I wasn't so tied to this league I'd probably create over there as well but I just don't have the time. I actually much prefer the forum dynamic to the discord one but that may just be me being an old person.

FWIW I don’t like the SHL but I don’t much care for the fact that 75% of our activity has shifted to discord either.