Derek England has retired!

VHL Bot

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

I spent ages cleaning the SHL forum up when i helped them move from IF to Jcink, probably a solid week of making sure everything was set up perfectly. Within a week they had completely destroyed it and turned the forums and sub forums into an impossible to navigate clusterfuck. That’s why I dislike them haha

lol! damn, that does suck. Their forum now is quite clean now that they've moved to their own domain.

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

FWIW I don’t like the SHL but I don’t much care for the fact that 75% of our activity has shifted to discord either.

I don't mind Discord for things like team discussion and the such but man does it suck for just normal topics. If you aren't looking at it all the time there is no going back to read about a topic. Oh well.

SHL big succ because of text updating, which some of their members still insist is superior to any portal system despite the VHL, SBA, and now even EFL switching over to a portal.

The members are generally ok, but the Discord is literally just 2-3 guys spamming the same shit.

I also prefer the weekly TPE cap over the money system, but that's just personal preference. I won't fault anyone for arguing the other way.

And yeah Cassie Campbell sucks assholes, but I've heard plenty of fine woman announcers as well, they just aren't as popular. Before you say they're not popular because they're not good, allow me to introduce you to Pierre McGuire or even the analysts like Milbury, Cherry, and Kypreos.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Enorama said:

SHL big succ because of text updating, which some of their members still insist is superior to any portal system despite the VHL, SBA, and now even EFL switching over to a portal.

I don’t know if I’d say they are a big success because of that. A few people may prefer it but there’s no way the people that do are a majority or avoiding other leagues because of it.

Honestly the SHL has had some lucrative recruiting deals and cater to a younger audience, it has worked well for them. Combine that with the fact that the original SHL was the OG Sim Hockey League and thus they locked down a name that implies they are the only option and you have what you see. From personal experience I’ll take our quality of members over their quantity but that’s subjective and as @TheFlash said it’s not EVERYONE that’s toxic as hell; that’s just been my limited experience with them.

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

Idk who to trust... someone on SHL with 43 seasons experience.. or like 2

mtv help GIF

Lol whatever dude. You’re so experienced and mighty your opinion is so much more valuable then mine, you’re right!

its not about being right or wrong, it’s an opinion. My opinion as I stated is that both leagues are good and have their pros and cons, but other than the portal, the SHL does a lot of things right that the VHL could adopt. I’m not “wrong” because the mighty Banackock has more seasons (in a league where you admit to barely be active hence maybe not seeing all of the things that I believe make it a great league)

and I’ve got three seasons of experience btw. 

Edited by TheFlash

1 hour ago, Enorama said:

The members are generally ok, but the Discord is literally just 2-3 guys spamming the same shit.

I also prefer the weekly TPE cap over the money system, but that's just personal preference. I won't fault anyone for arguing the other way.

And yeah Cassie Campbell sucks assholes, but I've heard plenty of fine woman announcers as well, they just aren't as popular. Before you say they're not popular because they're not good, allow me to introduce you to Pierre McGuire or even the analysts like Milbury, Cherry, and Kypreos.

Yeah they don’t use discord like VHL does. Their league discord is terrible, I left ages ago. The few team discord’s I’ve been apart of are great though.

and yeah the VHL has the portal which is superior for sure. Although they are in the process of designing one of their own.

46 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Lol whatever dude. You’re so experienced and mighty your opinion is so much more valuable then mine, you’re right!

its not about being right or wrong, it’s an opinion. My opinion as I stated is that both leagues are good and have their pros and cons, but other than the portal, the SHL does a lot of things right that the VHL could adopt. I’m not “wrong” because the mighty Banackock has more seasons (in a league where you admit to barely be active hence maybe not seeing all of the things that I believe make it a great league)

and I’ve got three seasons of experience btw. 

I was only playing. I really don’t care, lol. 

4 hours ago, Beketov said:

2. Is there a lot of CHL crossover? I don’t even recognize the name?

CHL is a new league that StamkosFan created, simmed on NHL 09. A ton of SHLers, VHLers, and other sim leaguers in it

• Commissioner
26 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

simmed on NHL 09.

I give it a month.

Not to sound harsh but simming on games like that makes for things being massively manual and a huge pain in the ass. It’s the main reason so many old leagues died. @JeffD certainly remembers the old ESHL days of trying to deal with EA sims.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

the SHL does a lot of things right that the VHL could adopt.

I’m curious about what these may be in your opinion.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I give it a month.

Not to sound harsh but simming on games like that makes for things being massively manual and a huge pain in the ass. It’s the main reason so many old leagues died. @JeffD certainly remembers the old ESHL days of trying to deal with EA sims.

I think it has potential imo. It's modded, on pc, and has a stat exporter. Not too much manual things.

I like the SHL Juniors system a lot more than the VHLM, also the LR's are a lot more active with more people in them.

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

I think it has potential imo. It's modded, on pc, and has a stat exporter. Not too much manual things.

Updates? Also I imagine sims take awhile.

2 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

I like the SHL Juniors system a lot more than the VHLM, also the LR's are a lot more active with more people in them.

I meant specifically. Talk to me like I’m a child in this case because I’m not in the league so I have no clue what their “junior system” is.

Just now, Beketov said:

Updates? Also I imagine sims take awhile.

Text updates, but cal (idk if you know him) coded an index, and might code some sort of update assistant. There's a couple live games a week, but quik sims are also done, like a normal GM mode sim.

I meant specifically. Talk to me like I’m a child in this case because I’m not in the league so I have no clue what their “junior system” is. 

350 TPA Cap, but you can keep banking without going up the next season. Once your drafted the SHL team owns the rights, and can send you down to your SMJHL team. You can spend up to 5 years in the SMJHL, but the last season you need to clear waivers, where any SHL team can get your rights.

It's more like NHL/AHL opposed to our NHL/CHL

2 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

Text updates, but cal (idk if you know him) coded an index, and might code some sort of update assistant.

I think he means how do you import players' updates into the game itself. That would be the most tedious part of it all.

Just now, Enorama said:

I think he means how do you import players' updates into the game itself. That would be the most tedious part of it all.

Ah, I can ask Stamkos. It might be by hand right now, but NHL View is used I think, so probably a chance to automate it

25 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Well as Nyko mentioned, their junior system rocks. It’s needed because of the career length over there, it’s much longer. He pretty much explained it perfect but it allows people to build their TPE before being forced into the bigs. 

but off the top of my head, I love their PT system and related tasks. Each week their “PT Team” come up with a PT that you write 150+ words about or do a graphic, and earn 3 or 4 tpe. They have Weekend Fun Times, a short PT on the weekend, 3 on 3 showdowns (kind of like a pick em, so we have that in a way)

I think the money for media is superior to TPE. Forcing someone to write 500 words for 6 tpe is sometimes a lot. Not everyone has the ability to churn out 500 words a week. This allows people to do multiple, short articles to build cash.

14 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Well as Nyko mentioned, their junior system rocks. It’s needed because of the career length over there, it’s much longer. He pretty much explained it perfect but it allows people to build their TPE before being forced into the bigs. 

but off the top of my head, I love their PT system and related tasks. Each week their “PT Team” come up with a PT that you write 150+ words about or do a graphic, and earn 3 or 4 tpe. They have Weekend Fun Times, a short PT on the weekend, 3 on 3 showdowns (kind of like a pick em, so we have that in a way)

I think the money for media is superior to TPE. Forcing someone to write 500 words for 6 tpe is sometimes a lot. Not everyone has the ability to churn out 500 words a week. This allows people to do multiple, short articles to build cash.

That's why you sit down and write a 1,000 or 1,500 word article to count for 2 or 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

That's why you sit down and write a 1,000 or 1,500 word article to count for 2 or 3 weeks.

If some people have trouble doing 500 straight, how can you expect them to do 1500?