Vasteras: Yes or No? [1/2]

Matt_O

Should we bring back Vasteras?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The VHLM has an inbalanced 11 teams. They recently expanded from 8 to 11 teams, and from 6 to 8 the season prior. While expansion next offseason seems unlikely, it seems inevitable within five seasons from now. Even though the VHLM has traditionally been a "North American" league, I suggest we change up this narrative. Lets add Vasteras as the 12th VHLM team.

Why did everyone even hate Vasteras in the first place? When I was writing my 'Season in Review' articles, I really liked Vasteras. They seemed very likeable. Them breaking their curse was maybe the greatest moment ever, and for them to return would be awesome. I know @.sniffuM and @CowboyinAmerica will back me up on this. 

Despite Vasteras being a random city, we also have Yukon in the VHLM. Who lives in Yukon? Please, relocate Yukon to Vasteras OR add Vasteras as the 12th franchise and then make @CowboyinAmerica the new GM.

Edited by Matt_O
160 words or something

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Matt_O said:

Even though the VHLM has traditionally been a "North American" league

The VHLM has only been a North American League for a few seasons. Up until we moved Oslo to Minnesota it was global.

Also Vasteras, as @Victor mentions, has literally failed in both leagues already and can go rot. There’s no reason to every bring back that train wreck.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, gorlab said:

I'd rather bring STOCKHOLM VIKINGS back.

I’m not interested in bringing any team back but for the logo alone I’d bring the Vikings back long before Vasteras.

No, because then the anti-Vasteras legion would have their reason to permanently stonewall the franchise's inevitable return to the pros.

Apparently Vasteras fucked everyone's sister based on what this thread is showing. I really don't understand the complete, outright vitriol for ever considering the possibility of bringing the market back to a pretend hockey league, but I guess I'll just have to keep having one of my favorite sim league memories constantly shit on by people for no real reason. It is what it is.

• Commissioner
9 minutes ago, Enorama said:

TIL Canada + US + Norway = Global

We had plenty more over the years but more and more started being moved to or expanding to NA. Oslo was just the last to move.

Point is it wasn’t “traditionally North American” at all. It’s only been North American only for a few seasons.

Just now, Beketov said:

We had plenty more over the years but more and more started being moved to or expanding to NA. Oslo was just the last to move.

Point is it wasn’t “traditionally North American” at all. It’s only been North American only for a few seasons.

Ye I know, just the way you phrased it made it sound like Oslo made the VHLM basically Pitbull.

I'm happy with my Mexican team for now though so I won't stir the pot yet

Give me Shanghai or Hong Kong eventually though

9 hours ago, Devise said:

The idea of Vasteras coming back is supposed to be a joke.

Very much not, in my eyes. But yeah, unless the VHLM was to go global again, it wouldn't be the best fit. I just voted yes for optics purposes.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

• Commissioner
9 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

Newcomer man here with big interest in league history

So why is Vasteras such a forbidden location?

They won the cup in S1 (potentially via shady means but nothing was ever proven) and then proceeded to have a 25 season cup drought and I think only win like 1 other after that. In a lot of ways they were the laughing stock of the league which gave them a poor reputation and made people resistant to playing for them. They were thus relocated but to a very dumb place (Madrid) and were subsequently moved back a few seasons later which kinda just made it worse because it made them even more of a joke that even moving couldn’t fix them. Eventually they were moved again and became the Stockholm Vikings who did a bit better at getting people on boats but no better sim wise and the team remained more or less cursed before eventually being, effectively, contracted when we went back down to 8 teams.

Basically people just liked to laugh at them and they’ve had 2 chances in the VHL to prove that stigma wrong and a VHLM stint as well. At this point bringing them back is just a bad look because it’s been a failed experiment so many times already.

Remember when New York was developing a curse stigma when they failed to win a cup in the Braxton-Glover days?

Hopefully they don't go too much longer without winning a cup, would hate to see the league take my second favorite franchise too.

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Remember when New York was developing a curse stigma when they failed to win a cup in the Braxton-Glover days?

Hopefully they don't go too much longer without winning a cup, would hate to see the league take my second favorite franchise too.

Honestly a cup drought doesn’t even automatically make for a stigma. I’m not sure what exactly it was with Vasteras that did it, maybe we were all just bigger assholes back then.

7 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Honestly a cup drought doesn’t even automatically make for a stigma. I’m not sure what exactly it was with Vasteras that did it, maybe we were all just bigger assholes back then.

I think part of it was that a lot of people used the fuck Vasteras avatar whether they were actually against the franchise or just messing around, which contributed to the franchise's difficulties in getting new members to want to go to the team.

Also just so it's clear I'm just venting my frustrations, I'm not trying to come at anyone in my posts about this, as much as it may seem like it. :P

Edited by .sniffuM

1 minute ago, .sniffuM said:

Also just so it's clear I'm just venting my frustrations, I'm not trying to come at anyone in my posts about this, as much as it may seem like it.

Yo I heard you wanted to fight.

Name a time and a place man

6 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Yo I heard you wanted to fight.

Name a time and a place man

I was wondering how long it would take you to realize all of my posts are a subtle dig at you.

Fuck Enorama that guy licks cheese

There's already a Swedish team with a bird as its logo, no need to bring back Vasty

5 hours ago, Enorama said:

I'm happy with my Mexican team for now though so I won't stir the pot yet

You're welcome!

55 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

Vasteras was a failed experiment, more likely to see a team like Stockholm come back.

Even if Vasteras made a return, I think it would be VHL

Vasty was an original franchise, not a failed experiment lol. They just got so much bad voodoo going for them that people started to hate them

It wasn't just sim voodoo though. Pensfan was just as linked to Vasteras as any member, and it long felt like from the older members I talked to that despite him never being the teams GM, that it was his team. There was also a real life Vasteras IK team if I recall that Pensfan was a big fan of. It all just felt very in service of a small base of members and ultimately those in charge and the larger community felt a different Swedish city deserved to be represented. 

Yeah sure the sim voodoo and league hate carried things. But I maintain that we shouldn't be the type of league that just caters to a clique or a group of members because. That doesn't mean that that group still can't be catered to regardless, but you pretty much have to consider the validity not just of the optics of said city but also the overall league interest in it. I mean there is a similar conversation going on regarding potential new teams as it is. Some are okay with more goofy teams, in say China or Japan and some aren't. For the record I'm down with seeing one of those cities because I think we have all the other bases pretty much covered. But if the optics are what they are, then it's one of those things where I'd have to recognize that a larger portion of the league still wants teams somewhere else and disregarding that just to cater to the few of us who are down with the unusual spots is exactly pulling a Vasteras. 

It's still a "community at large" and there is generally always a way to satisfy the group interest as well as specific ones.