Center

Age 18

Mexico City Kings

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 145 lbs

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Related image

Strengths

1. Speed: What Wright lacks in size and power, he makes up for in speed and agility, being able to outmaneuver many of the bigger players and find gaps to skate through to be able to get a breakaway. He acquired this skill in the early days of his career in high school, where he realized that he would have to be fast in order to avoid the hard checks and keep hold of the puck.

2. Faceoffs: Wright was a genuine threat in the faceoff circle in his high school days. His sharp eyes allow him to get ahold of the puck right as it hits the ice and get the play going. This skill has transferred well into the VHLM, having won the majority of faceoffs that he has participated in. He doesn't win every faceoff that he enters, but his odds are usually pretty good.

3. Passing: Wright's passes don't get intercepted very often. The 18-year-old seems to have no issue finding his man on the ice, which allows him to sometimes make startling plays in front of the net if his wingers are in position for them. His coaches have noted his as an ability to make good judgement calls on when he should take the shot and when it would be better to let his teammate go for it.

Weaknesses

1. Strength: Standing at 5'9" 145 lbs, Wright is not the biggest or strongest player in the world. While he is able to make up for that in speed, he is less effective at throwing the body and making defensive moves than other players. He tries to be more offensively focused as a result, letting his wingers and defensemen take care of puck carriers.

2. Shooting: As a playmaker, Wright does not put much emphasis into his shooting game, but is not afraid to go for it if a chance presents itself. Because he prefers to play close to the net, the wrist shot is his go-to for most of his scoring chances. As a result, his slap shot is not quite as fine-tuned, often ending up square in the goaltender's chest or missing the net entirely. His coaches have been working with him on this and hope to see an improvement in the near future.

3. Checking: Wright is very conservative with his checking game, generally avoiding making big hits so as to not risk injury. His poke checking needs work as well, as he is often unable to dislodge the puck from an opponent's grasp while in motion. He would much rather have the defensemen take care of that while he retrieves the puck afterwards.

Summary

Wright is a fast, mobile playmaker who always seems to be able to find his man and can work magic in the faceoff circle. This skill was served him well so far in the VHLM, scoring two goals and an assist in his first few games with the Mexico City Kings. He is not the most confident player in the world in his own abilities, but that may change over the course of his time in the VHL.

Edited by 73MPL4R

Review: Overall it’s a C- rookie Profile. I have this feel about the downsides you didn’t put much effort. I mean I gues the slapshot is a thing you can say but shooting is put into one thing so. Also I guess confidence can also be used but it’s not really an attribute per say. It was well written and I’ll give you that. Didn’t make much sense putting a summary before the writing which for me is a major downgrade. Overall you weren’t terrible 3.7/10. 

Edited by Big Mac
I meant to put C- instead I put C+

44 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Review: Overall it’s a C- rookie Profile. I have this feel about the downsides you didn’t put much effort. I mean I gues the slapshot is a thing you can say but shooting is put into one thing so. Also I guess confidence can also be used but it’s not really an attribute per say. It was well written and I’ll give you that. Didn’t make much sense putting a summary before the writing which for me is a major downgrade. Overall you weren’t terrible 3.7/10. 

Thanks for the feedback. I went back and changed a few of the things that you mentioned.

1 hour ago, 73MPL4R said:

Thanks for the feedback. I went back and changed a few of the things that you mentioned.

That definitely made things better I can move this up to a 6.6. Just like Mario Lemieux, and I think it can even classify as a 7.1.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Rookie Profile: Nate Wright [1/2]
  • 4 weeks later...

Review:

Picture's good, although I'd put the stat block below it. Formatting and content are gennerally good, meets word count.

I'd add a preamble in as a summary above your pros and cons, and change the summary at the bottom to a conclusion. 

The content itself is solid. This one has my approval.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Rookie Profile: Nate Wright [2/2]