"I'm too old for this," says Hackett of new dog

Renomitsu

Image result for australian shepherd puppy

disclaimer - I don't actually own a dog. I just really, really wish I did.

Riga, Latvia - While Hackett's penalty minutes are what get him recognition on the ice, there's a new subject of the spotlight in his flat. 

Over the last several days, many Riga members have speculated as to what exactly has been making Hackett so tired at practice and even during some games. The first couple of days, the defenseman of Canadian-American origin brushed them off, perhaps not even realizing that he himself was moving slower than usual. Eventually, he came clean.

"Yeah, I've had her for about a week," Hackett told his teammates at practice while showing them a picture on his phone, "she's an Australian shepherd. Smart dog with a ton of energy - maybe too much energy."

The season 66 draftee is about a fifth of the way through his second season, and has yet to find a matchup with a forward where he's truly and utterly overwhelmed. But we caught Hackett walking his dog -- or, perhaps more accurately, the dog walking him -- on a recent excursion down one of the side streets in Riga.

"She weighs like eight pounds but pulls and jerks me around the street," he continued, beaming, "maybe I'm too old for this, yeah? But she has learned very quickly. I just need to pick a name out for her; maybe I'll just make that an open question to the league."