The Real S67 VHL Awards Midseason Preview

Now that we are a little past halfway through the season we can see some development and make selections now for some awards. I have decided to only do the ones that are voted on as anyone can look at the leaders for the trophies such as the Kevin Brooks Trophy or the Mike Szatkowski Trophy. Each award will have three possible choices (with some exceptions). All selections are based on stats now and "winners" are based on current statistics and a bit of prediction.

MVP - Scotty Campbell Trophy: 
Randoms
 @hedgehog337

Podrick Cast @Victor

Veran Dragomir @Velevra

Here you have three very strong players all of whom have their own case for MVP. Podrick Cast is the league-leading points man and has a 9.58 SHT%, Randoms isn't far behind but also holds a hundred and fifty hits and seven game-winning goals. Dragomir is the stop gap between the two, having 98 hits and 54 points. To pick one of the three, Randoms seems to be carrying Moscow and also has a strong physical presence.

Top Defenseman - Sterling Labatte Trophy: 

Tzuyu @tfong

Robert Malenko @pennypenny

Dan Montgomery @BarzalGoat

Tzuyu sits tied for second in points by defenseman and is the best in the league in shots blocked when it comes to competitive teams. Montgomery sits a bit farther back in points but makes up for it with his 146 hits and 78 shots blocked. Malenko is the leading defensive scorer with the best plus-minus of the three at 12 and 81 shots blocked. My pick right now would be Malenko.

Top Offensive Defenseman - Alexander Valiq Trophy: 

Joseph McWolf @McWolf

Tzuyu @tfong

Really not a big spread in this one, the three players are separated by just three goals. Despite having the lowest points total I'm going to give this one to Malenko. Due to his more impressive shooting percentage and only 3 of his 12 goals coming from the power play. Compared to 6 and 7 for Tzuyu and McWolf respectively.

Top Defensive Defenseman - Jake Wylde Trophy: 

Piotr Jerwa @majesiu

Ryan Sullivan Jr @Advantage

Rusty Shackleford @K1NG LINUS

Yet again no one makes themselves distinct. Shackleford sits in 3rd for shots blocked and has dished out 101 hits while collecting 65 penalty minutes. Jerwa sits 4th in shots blocked, and has 140 hits but 96 penalty minutes. Lastly Sullivan Jr has 60 shots blocked, 161 hits and 69 penalty minutes but is the only one with a positive +/- rating at +6. This earns Sullivan Jr my nod.

Top Goalie - Aidan Shaw Trophy: 

Alexander Pepper @Sonnet

JB Rift @Devise

Brick Wahl @BladeMaiden

This is one of the categories that could change the most as the season progresses. All three goalies SV% are within .002 of each other and their GAA within .13. Right now I got to hand it to Rift. While Devise has put a strong team in front of him, his seven less losses than Pepper and little separation statistically gets him my vote.

Top Two-Way Forward - Scott Boulet Trophy: 

Maxim Kovalchuk @Banackock

Veran Dragomir @Velevra

Phil Marleau @Phil

Kovalchuk gets here more on a technicality than his actual play so far. Having just switched over his stats look very defensive but strong on the offense as well. If you could hold these stats he would be quite impressive. Dragomir is back, a league leading point scorer and also dishing out 98 hits while being +10. However, Marleau's league leading 205 hits as a rookie and still putting up 16 goals and 15 assists is very strong. Yes he is on a struggling Malmo but he gets my vote anyways.

Top Rookie - Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy:

Rusty Shackleford @K1NG LINUS

Rayz Funk @Rayzor_7

Blake Gaudette @Gaudette

This is a category that could be up for some heavy debate. You have one player from each position standing out. Shackleford is a strong shot blocker and a checker who has managed 29 points. Gaudette is purely offence but has managed 13 goals and 37 points and a decent 7.22 SHT%. Funk is the goalie keeping the Bears alive, recording a good .914 while having the second most shots against. The unbiased Council made a decision (I was not involved) and declared Funk the winner 2 votes to 1. Go whine about personal bias anyways now.

Most Improved - Dustin Funk Trophy: 

Joel Ylonen @Esso2264

Matthew Materazo @Matt_O

Elasmobranch Fish @Sharkstrong

This category seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me. Fish and Materazzi have both made big improvements to their offensive skill (both nearly matching their last seasons point totals), Ylonen has done the same but has also gone from 7 hits to 100 while adding just 14 extra pims so far. Ylonen gets the vote as he has improved his two way skill and his points totals.

Executive of the Year - David Knight Trophy: 

@Devise

@Banackock

@Victor

The executive of the year could go many different ways depending on how the committee sees it. Toronto jumping from around .500 to first in the league may be enough to bring it to Devise. But Moscow also jumped from .361 to first in the EU. Seattle is a bit like the other two but their jump is fuelled by rookies. This award will likely be decided by who can make it the deepest in the playoffs and I will not be making a selection here.

ALL VHL TEAMS

FIRST VHL TEAM

F - Podrick Cast @Victor

F - Veran Dragomir @Velevra

F - Randoms @hedgehog337

D - Tzuyu @tfong

D - Robert Malenko @pennypenny

G - JB Rift @Devise

SECOND VHL TEAM

F - Beau Louth @Beaviss

F - Matt Thompson @Beketov

F - Dan Wilinsky @oilmandan

D - Joseph McWolf @McWolf

D - Paolo Nano @leafsman

G - Alexander Pepper @Sonnet

ROOKIE TEAM

F - Blake Gaudette @Gaudette

F - Phil Marleau @Phil

F - Scott Greene @DoktorFunk

D - Rusty Shackleford @K1NG LINUS

D -  Hulk Hogan @HulkHogan

G - Rayz Funk @Rayzor_7

That's all folks! Hope you enjoyed the midseason preview, I expect that the landscape will change a lot in the back half of the season but it'll be interesting to see what stays the same. Now let the arguing in the thread begin as to who was FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY and who was overrated

Most improved ylonen? What about randoms? On pace for 90 points this season and he had 54 last season (53 right now). Also on pace for 257 hits (192 last season). ALso going for 36SB when he had 23 last season. smh

5 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

Most improved ylonen? What about randoms? On pace for 90 points this season and he had 54 last season (53 right now). Also on pace for 257 hits (192 last season). ALso going for 36SB when he had 23 last season. smh

Where the fuck were you when I asked about this very award lol

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Switching over to forward halfway through the season should 100% disqualify Kovalchuk from Boulet contention IMO.

I would think probably but I'm just going on the knowledge I have, unless that's a rule in place he theoretically would have a good shot at it. Although I would agree that it should DQ him

I picked Randoms and Cast for my fantasy team this season thinking I'd regret it, but so far it's worked out just fine.

Surprised Thompson isn't in the conversation for best two-way. He's usually great on both ends of the ice, and this season isn't much of an exception.

Even though Garcia doesn't deserve anything here, obligatory FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Rayzor_7 said:

Randoms seems to be carrying Moscow

Bruh. He can have the Boulet.

25 minutes ago, Rayzor_7 said:

Top Offensive Defenseman - Alexander Valiq Trophy: 

Joseph McWolf @McWolf

Tzuyu @tfong

Disrespect on the league leader in assists @leafsman

• Commissioner
14 minutes ago, Rayzor_7 said:

I would think probably but I'm just going on the knowledge I have, unless that's a rule in place he theoretically would have a good shot at it. Although I would agree that it should DQ him

We don’t make rules for every little thing that could possibly come up. However humans do decide these awards so common sense can be used. If his defensive numbers obviously drop off the face of the earth after switching, even if they total decently well, obviously it’s a sign that his time on D gave him an unfair advantage. Stats are the most important thing for the Committee obviously but context is looked at.

You already know it's rigged when there isn't a single rookie in NY in the rookie all team ouf. I mean two days ago, freaking 4 of NY rookies were Top 6 xD (We have no help to get stats as well and I don't wanna hear those BS about we have more "opportunities" to score as if it is that ez)

On 8/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, Jtv123 said:

You already know it's rigged when there isn't a single rookie in NY in the rookie all team ouf. I mean two days ago, freaking 4 of NY rookies were Top 6 xD (We have no help to get stats as well and I don't wanna hear those BS about we have more "opportunities" to score as if it is that ez)

You are so FUCKING right I am so pissed right now how is Nethila not in this!!!!??

3 hours ago, nethi99 said:

You are so FUCKING right I am so pissed right now how is Nethila not in this!!!!??

You sit in sixth place in rookie scoring behind five forwards and only three forwards can get on the all-rookie team. I was surprised you weren't in at first but then looked at the stats and it makes sense tbh

Edited by Matt_O

8 hours ago, Matt_O said:

You sit in sixth place in rookie scoring behind five forwards and only three forwards can get on the all-rookie team. I was surprised you weren't in at first but then looked at the stats and it makes sense tbh

I guess...

9 hours ago, Matt_O said:

But at the the time when he posted that shit, the 4 of us were in the Top 6 hmmmmm and not even one of us were in this so hmmmm

3 minutes ago, Jtv123 said:

But at the the time when he posted that shit, the 4 of us were in the Top 6 hmmmmm and not even one of us were in this so hmmmm

Is it possible that it wasn't just about scoring and points ?

Also NYA, more ice time, more chances blah blah blah "we still play the same hard teams" yes but on those hard teams rookies take 1-2 shots per game not 4-5. You guys were all close but I gave the edge to the competing teams at the time.