Candid Interview with Van Lagen

VanCanWin

Rachel Snype caught up with Van Lagen once again as his season begins to wind down. 

Rachel: Another season has flown by! Unfortunately it looks like Malmo will be missing the playoffs which means hockey will be done for you shortly. Can you share your thoughts on your rookie season?

Van Lagen: Yes, it is almost over already. It’s been a frustrating year for sure. I hope I can take this as a learning experience into the off season and regroup for next year.

Rachel: What exactly has been the most frustrating part for you?

Van Lagen:  Ice time, without question. I’ve played all year out of my natural position, getting third line minutes and spending most of my time out there on the penalty kill rather than in offensive situations which I am much better suited for.

Rachel: The top six was indeed crowded but there were all six good options there as well. What could your team have done different to give you more ice time?

Trevor: For sure. Every guy worked their ass off all year to earn minutes. All I know is I worked my ass off too. I put in arguably the most time in the gym working on my game. I’ve improved my skills as much or more than anyone.  I feel like I deserved a better chance to be an impact player this year already. That said, I’ll take everything as a learning experience into next year. We have a tremendous group of guys, a lot of depth, an an upside that makes us all excited for competing as soon as next season.

Rachel: What are the main areas you have improved this year and what is your development focus for the offseason?

Trevor: I’ve definitely worked a lot on my scoring (recently hitting 90) as well as my puck handling (also 90). I’ve improved a ton of strength (from 40 to 70) as well. Going into the off season I hope to make some gains in my skating primarily but also work on my defensive game to become that complete 2 way skilled centre I want to be.

Rachel: What are your expectations for next season in regards to ice time and role on the team?

Trevor: I expect a huge uptick in offensive ice time for sure. Top six minutes playing back at my natural position at Centre.  I would expect a huge role in our power play as well. 

Rachel: After a low point production this year by your expectations, do you foresee a much different year next season?

Trevor: Definitely. I always have high expectations for myself. If I get ice time and opportunity I think I can be much closer to a 30 goal scorer, point per game producer. Maybe some might say that’s some lofty expectations but that’s honestly what I believe I can produce as early as next season.

Rachel: That is high expectations for sure! Any other comments on your rookie experience in the VHL?

Van Lagen: It was definitely a challenge for me this year on and off the ice. I will only use it to motivate me to put more work in the gym preparing for next year.  

Rachel: Thanks again for taking the time with us Trevor!

535 words.