Expansion Draft Thoughts

diamond_ace

So obviously there's not a ton to talk about regarding the expansion draft since we don't know what the rules will be or who will be left unprotected, but there is one thing we can absolutely be sure of: there will be teams out there who will be unhappy with the expansion draft and will be forced to leave exposed some players they don't want to. There are teams with a lot of active players on them, teams with a bunch of up and comers and planning on that being their base going forward, as well as teams with vets who are going for the cup in the near future.

As an expansion GM myself, I will say one thing to all incumbent teams: I am open to Vegasing the hell out of this draft. Got someone you don't want to lose? Work out a deal with me ahead of time, I'll take the player and ship him back to you, or take a different player from your team in exchange for a pick trade in my favor to offset the loss of not taking said player. I fully anticipate having a William Karlsson type of situation out of this draft, or maybe a Jonathan Marchessault/Reilly Smith deal, within of course the different confines a league such as this provides than that of our non-sim league counterparts. Of course, there's one much bigger caveat in this particular situation than there might have been back in the Vegas expansion, or even than there was back in each of the Moscow and Malmo expansions: @Enorama also gets to pick players and I'll have to work around that. That might have to lead to some creative trades that might be situational based on what's going on at the time, but we'll see how that affects things and who's available when and all of that.

Let's say, hypothetically, that 7 players are protected. If your 8th guy is a 250 tpe guy in his 2nd season, not perfectly active but still pretty heavily active and definitely not a guy you want to lose, and your 9th guy is a 500 tpe guy in his 7th season that is depreciated down to only 370 or so of those tpe being used and went inactive 2 seasons ago: I obviously want the first guy - make it worth my while (picks, another decent prospect who's maybe too early in his career to be eligible for selection, if that's a thing) and I'll grab the second guy. I'm perfectly fine with building through mostly picks. I definitely have no intentions of going @Devise on this and taking only players and no picks - that's been proven to be a viable strategy for an existing team, but I don't think it's viable for an expansion team with currently no assets.

That's of course not to say I'll take every offer on the table. You give me a 5th rounder, it's not going to be worth enough to make up the difference between the two guys in our hypothetical scenario in the third paragraph. Ultimately, depending on what comes through, I may end up with nothing, or I may end up with several deals, but this offers a chance for things to spruce up a bit if a few dominoes fall in a certain way. It'll be fun.

For Kefka, since I'll now have to distinguish that.