It's time to put an end to VSN...

Dil

This has come up many times before, and I think it's finally time VSN shuts down.

On the 16th of December 2018. I created VSN and it was initially called "Sportsnet VHL" and I contacted a few select people including @BladeMaiden and @Nykonax to work on it with me. We expanded our roster and slowly began covering drafts, creating higher quality articles, and started doing some great podcasts and other things to engage the community.

We had a few changes in management in a short period of time with management swapping in between Blade, Nyko, and myself, but to be quite honest with you, VSN was never really consistent. It had its short bursts of great content but it never managed to be able to provide that to the community for a long period of time before dying out again.

On April 24, 2019, I was given a job with the recruitment team and then handed off VSN to @ShawnGlade. Now, Shawn has had a great run with VSN ever since he took over, but the same problem remains where the writers have never really managed to provide great articles consistently. If you take a look at the VSN section on the forums, you can see that we've had 3 articles in august.

It's come to a point where I believe VSN doesn't DESERVE the extra 2 TPE writers get for articles and the extra 4 management does. I'm in the VSN channel on discord and forums and I can tell you there are times where no one sends anything for a week and nothing is discussed to help improve the state of VSN.

I think it's time VSN is shut down because honestly, it's pointless now.

Spoiler

Edited by DilIsPickle

• Commissioner

I disagree with killing it entirely. It just needs to be restructured. 

As it stands now it's not providing the community with enough value to support the job pay but definitely could. 

Having said that I'm pretty sure it was Blade's and my idea originally :P

Edited by Josh

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Having said that I'm pretty sure it was Blade's and my idea originally :P

I literally hired blade ;-;

Edited by DilIsPickle

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

I literally hired blade ;-;

Blade and I had the idea to do weekly podcasts and that turned into VSN like an hour later lol.

Maximum laundering mode engaged.

Edited by Josh

I actually had an idea for VSN that was very extreme. We have some amazing writers such as @Renomitsu on the site. I said that at the end of the week, a handful of the best articles and media spots would be picked and posted to VSN. If your article gets picked, you can get 2 extra uncapped TPE. This guarantees consistency and good articles, and also will make people try to work harder on their media spots. This is the restructuring that VSN could use to get back on the map. Would I lose a job? Yes. But this seems to be a good course of action

2 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

I actually had an idea for VSN that was very extreme. We have some amazing writers such as @Renomitsu on the site. I said that at the end of the week, a handful of the best articles and media spots would be picked and posted to VSN. If your article gets picked, you can get 2 extra uncapped TPE. This guarantees consistency and good articles, and also will make people try to work harder on their media spots. This is the restructuring that VSN could use to get back on the map. Would I lose a job? Yes. But this seems to be a good course of action

This would lead to some people knocking themselves out, specifically to write articles thousands of words long.

Not saying we don't have those people already (and I'm one occasionally) but I feel that it might end up opening up a can of worms if it's turned into a contest.

Imagine the drama too.

Edited by GustavMattias

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, DilIsPickle said:

you were hired when the bog said we needed an editor to get tpe i think

Nah well before that, I was voted to takeover your job at the start IIRC. Then we gave it to Blade.

3 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

This would lead to some people knocking themselves out, specifically to write articles thousands of words long.

Not saying we don't have those people already (and I'm one occasionally) but I feel that it might end up opening up a can of worms if it's turned into a contest.

Imagine the drama too.

Agree with this. I like the idea @Matt_O, and I feel like I could derive some benefit from it. I also really appreciate the shout out!

But I think it may send members in a slightly different direction than is intended; you'd get members split either writing novels or giving up and putting in minimal effort for their MSes. I can also find plenty of enjoyment in articles from VSN (e.g. analytical, stats-based work) and the more tongue-in-cheek + storytelling work.

Feel like as VSN head, I need to chime in here

So one thing I've mentioned a few times behind closed doors, I'm in the process of moving across the country for college, so my activity on the site in general has taken a dip since VHL hasn't been a priority in the past few weeks. I'm settling into my new place on the 21st, so that's when I imagine I'd be able to get back to fully running it

Obviously you guys can blame the writers or whatever blah blah blah but truthfully it's my fault. I let people know what my situation was but obviously you can see that VSN has been barren

While it seems like nothing has happened, I've quietly been making changes to our roster, with the departures of Enorama and SlapshotDragon, I've been chatting with a few people regarding joining the crew. So I can promise you guys this much, I haven't left or given up on VSN, I'm still very much committed, but for about another week, there's not a ton I can really do

Edited by ShawnGlade

1 hour ago, SlapshotDragon said:

imo what really slowed it down were the editors. not that they were doing a bad job, but there were too many articles to edit, that it really slowed down the productivity. maybe get more editors or something idk

There hasn't been an editor at all for three weeks or more now. Writers are just posting their work directly.

• Head Moderator

Why can't we have VSN spotlight media articles and those authors get some sort of bonus? Why does it need to only come from the writers?

Edited by tfong

4 minutes ago, tfong said:

Why can't we have VSN spotlight media articles and those authors get some sort of bonus? Why does it need to only come from the writers?

People would probably bitch about not getting it