VHL Talks #1 - boubabi [1/2]

Higgins

VHL Talks #1

featuring @boubabi

Run time: 1h36m

Please leave feedback on the podcast in this thread, thank you and enjoy.

-------------------------------

PODCAST SUMMARY

Introduction & General VHL Talk
Who is boubabi? Players, TPE, Awards, Activity, Graphics, Logos, GMing, VHLM Magazine, Graphics Resources, Draft Projects, Past VHL Talk, Future VHL Talk, state of the league.

Question Period (there are more questions and discussion throughout, just a basic overview here)
Some questions asked – In-depth discussions of various other topics occur throughout. All VHL related. Thanks to those who asked questions on discord.
1.    Do you still keep tabs on the forum?
2.    Are you active on any other simulation leagues?
3.    Are you still doing graphic design?
4.    How do you feel about the league using your logos?
5.    What are your thoughts on the indefinite ban since it happened 16 months ago? Do you take any accountability for what happened? Looking back do you think it was justified?
6.    Do you regret what happened in the S59 Slobodzian Trophy voting thread?
7.    Did you feel like you were attacked by different people at the same time and had to defend yourself?
8.    Your side of the story, why did things get so toxic?
9.    Should there be an appeal system for bans after X amount of time?
10.    Would you ever join under an alias?
11.    What was your finest moment in the VHL? Why did you enjoy it?
12.    Members that you miss?
13.     LISTENER QUESTION: Do you remember the all-star game sims? ( @Beaviss)
13.    LISTENER QUESTION: What would you tell people that weren’t around 16 months ago and have joined the league since you were banned about yourself in the league? ( @GustavMattias)
14.    Do you want to comeback?
15.    LISTENER QUESTION: If he re-created, what kind of player would we see him bring into the fold?
Does he have a preferred destination? ( @Tate)
16.    Would you be able to play nice and water under the bridge?

I like the format. Would actually enjoy one day doing one of these with you if you were up for it @Higgins Was hoping a few other things would get talked about but that's on me for not asking questions.

Solid listen. 

I chose not to vote cause I had a lot of reasons to vote no but was willing to give him another chance if the league supported it.  That's still the case and I do think hed handle it better.  He probably would never expect that from me since he and I didnt get along too much down the stretch but that was nevertheless my stance.

Edited by Advantage

• Beketov unfeatured this topic
  • Commissioner

I can admit that it’s good to hear what he had to say. Obviously he has come to terms with the fact that what he was saying wasn’t the issue, how he was saying it was our main problem. I always understood where he was coming from, he was trying to help the league but it’s not helpful to be talking to anyone the way he was. 

I would be lying if some of what he said didn’t come off a bit as a conspiracy theory against the blue team but that’s fine, I wasn’t expecting anything else. I do understand how things could have come off though because he does make a valid point that removing him while angry obviously wasn’t going to calm him down when everyone else was going to continue talking shit.

Anyway, I’m not going to get into things too much. He took some shots at me and that’s fine; I’d like to think that over the past 16 months I’ve grown into a better commish than I was at the time. I do find it interesting how much we both started doing graphic work for sim leagues and now both work in film.

It was an interesting listen no matter what. If you ever need a guest I’d be interested in being on.

• Senior Admin

First, shout to @Higgins for the excellent interviewing style. I think the questions were asked in a neutral way that really left it up to Boubabi to set the tone and be the star of the show. Now, my thoughts:

Not at all what I was expecting honestly. I have to say I think this podcast makes a far better argument for un-banning than anything Higgins or anyone else could have said in the referendum thread. One of the major issues brought up continually over the past 16 months, rightfully so, was boubabi's refusal to acknowledge where he went wrong. I think that changed in the podcast and I mean, I don't know, it seemed genuine to me. 

I got the impression that from his perspective, it happened a lifetime ago. And it does feel like that at times. But to me it seemed like he doesn't really care about re-hashing the past and doesn't even necessarily care too much about the future - but would appreciate to at least have the option to talk to old friends and potentially return in a larger capacity at some point if it was feasible. I feel some sympathy for that tbh, hard for a lot of people to see but he really was a great guy to chat with before the spiral. 

• Senior Admin
3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I do understand how things could have come off though because he does make a valid point that removing him while angry obviously wasn’t going to calm him down when everyone else was going to continue talking shit.

Yeah 100%. As I said in the referendum thread, I think an extended ban became inevitable really quickly and none of us, or at least not me, knew it. Admittedly it was a mistake, a good portion of which is on me, to think a few suspensions to boubabi would solve the problem. 

Anyway, I didn't really get the conspiracy vibe - I think mainly what he was saying was we focused all our energy on trying to calm him down and failed to adequately address the other people/factors, which I think is a fair criticism of all of us, not just you. There definitely should have been a harder line drawn for some provocateurs. 

Btw just for the record, I do think you would have handled the beketov vs. boubabi spats better now compared to then.. I feel like new commish's, including me, tend to be a bit more reactionary when you first start out. Eventually the job wears on you and you become more a voice of reason IMO. 

1 minute ago, Will said:

Btw just for the record, I do think you would have handled the beketov vs. boubabi spats better now compared to then.. I feel like new commish's, including me, tend to be a bit more reactionary when you first start out. Eventually the job wears on you and you become more a voice of reason IMO. 

Are you becoming jaded Willy?

@Higgins Will basically covered it, but this was definitely a good listen, and hearing this stuff from @boubabi himself is a much better support for a potential un-banning than any campaign from other members ever could be.