VHL Board of Governors News

Baozi

1 hour ago, Acydburn said:

You know that doesn't exactly make sense right? More teams equals more GMs yes, but it also means more players and that player to GM ratio is at a minimum 11 to 1. Which if you chose someone randomly would be less than a 10% chance to pick a GM. 

We don’t select BOG at random. What he’s saying is that as more GM slots open, they are naturally filled with people who are more likely to align with the type of experience that is looked for in the BOG. So while there is more people, that doesn’t mean they are all going to be fits. 

• Commissioner
22 minutes ago, Quik said:

We don’t select BOG at random. What he’s saying is that as more GM slots open, they are naturally filled with people who are more likely to align with the type of experience that is looked for in the BOG. So while there is more people, that doesn’t mean they are all going to be fits. 

I never said you selected the bog at random, I was using statistic to prove my point. There are "quality" members who do align with what the BOG are looking for that aren't GMs. Once again the players outnumber the GMs, even in quality. Unless that is just a bunch of yes men. The things that are said by "higher up" and done are complete opposites. 

• Commissioner
25 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Throws dart at wall

"Ok then we're hiring Robbie"

I know this wasn't what was said but I had to make light of the situation.

That would definitely be an interesting choice lol

• Commissioner

I never said you selected the bog at random, I was using statistic to prove my point. There are "quality" members who do align with what the BOG are looking for that aren't GMs. Once again the players outnumber the GMs, even in quality. Unless that is just a bunch of yes men. The things that are said by "higher up" and done are complete opposites. 

Do you not think GM’s are chosen in part because of their “quality”? Outnumbering GM’s 11-1 doesn’t prove that everyone else are better members for the BOG. And it’s not about getting yes men it’s about getting people that will contribute to the discussion at hand. Look at the award committee if you want a good example. That experiment failed because we limited the rules to such a degree that the people we were getting, while fine members, didn’t lend themselves well to the roll. Limiting out GM’s and having a turnaround of 3 seasons meant allowing people who didn’t care. They came in, didn’t discuss anything, and voted for the first name to come up in discussion. This isn’t what we want for the BoG.

Also if you really think someone like @GustavMattias is just a yes man you haven’t been paying attention.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Do you not think GM’s are chosen in part because of their “quality”? Outnumbering GM’s 11-1 doesn’t prove that everyone else are better members for the BOG. And it’s not about getting yes men it’s about getting people that will contribute to the discussion at hand. Look at the award committee if you want a good example. That experiment failed because we limited the rules to such a degree that the people we were getting, while fine members, didn’t lend themselves well to the roll. Limiting out GM’s and having a turnaround of 3 seasons meant allowing people who didn’t care. They came in, didn’t discuss anything, and voted for the first name to come up in discussion. This isn’t what we want for the BoG.

Also if you really think someone like @GustavMattias is just a yes man you haven’t been paying attention.

You're right, gustav is a good choice.

Based on your comment you're infuring that a member can't be quality or qualified. No one said to only have  one of GMs or the other. The 11 to 1 number is highlighting that GMs arent the only ones in the league. Based on numbers you have more members who can be capable of making the league better. I was displaying the fact that they're outnumbered but make a majority of decisions for the league. It's  My original comment, to bring it full circle, was that you (as in leadership group) wanted to bring more non GM's into the BOG and ended up hiring 4 to replace 2 who weren't GMs. I'm saying it was humorous. 

Edited by Acydburn

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Acydburn said:

My original comment, to bring it full circle, was that you (as in leadership group) wanted to bring more non GM's into the BOG and ended up hiring 4 to replace 2 who weren't GMs. I'm saying it was humorous. 

A fact I don’t love either, I already said that. Hell I would have liked to keep @Renomitsu and @Matt_O after I pushed for their original appointments. Ultimately Reno didn’t want the job anymore and Matt’s activity level dropped too far, what can you really do.

We shake up the BoG every once in awhile and pick the best people we can at the time based mostly on how much we believe they’ll contribute to discussions. I don’t love that this around was basically all GM’s. There’s nothing inherently wrong with them I just think sometimes their teams can cloud their judgement. Still though, in this instance, they were the best options. We aren’t going to exclude good options because they happen to be GM’s. I don’t have to love it but that’s what we did with the AC and it was a terrible choice.

19 minutes ago, Garsh said:

Is it possible we can have a full list of the BoG somewhere?  Maybe in one of the first 2 posts of this thread maybe?

There's this list but it hasn't been updated to reflect the current membership yet. Right now it's basically that but minus Reno and Matt and plus the new additions.

3 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

There's this list but it hasn't been updated to reflect the current membership yet. Right now it's basically that but minus Reno and Matt and plus the new additions.

Thanks, I am a ding-dong apparently. 

11 hours ago, Acydburn said:

You're right, gustav is a good choice.

Based on your comment you're infuring that a member can't be quality or qualified. No one said to only have  one of GMs or the other. The 11 to 1 number is highlighting that GMs arent the only ones in the league. Based on numbers you have more members who can be capable of making the league better. I was displaying the fact that they're outnumbered but make a majority of decisions for the league. It's  My original comment, to bring it full circle, was that you (as in leadership group) wanted to bring more non GM's into the BOG and ended up hiring 4 to replace 2 who weren't GMs. I'm saying it was humorous. 

I mean..on the bright side...I'm not a GM anymore!

• Commissioner
34 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I mean..on the bright side...I'm not a GM anymore!

I mean, I wouldn't consider that a bright side. You were a good GM and had to step down (albeit a respectable reason).

I mean, I wouldn't consider that a bright side. You were a good GM and had to step down (albeit a respectable reason).

I think the point is more that GM's often fluctuate in and out often. Many of the members who we even selected this time were earning their stripes long before taking over the GM role. We also have several notable long time members in GM roles right now who would otherwise have access to the BoG. Bana, Victor, D_A to name a few. I'd say it's unlikely they have 20-30 season GM tenures left in them. With the wave of more and more new GM's coming it just so happens that the pool of players we would be selecting to enter the BoG intersects with the pool of players on the short list to be a GM. If shake up doesn't occur until after those members have been selected to take over a GM role it would be pretty unfair to automatically disqualify them. 

Either way, the number of GM's in the BoG isn't some static number even when we aren't bringing in as many as 4 like we have this time around. I'm not saying there is no room for criticism here, obviously and your right to bring your thoughts to the forefront. I just think it's very clear there is a movement from the old guard of VHL of late to allow the newer faces who have earned stripes to get in, get GM roles from WJC to VHL tier, get into the BoG and get other jobs. While it's not a night and day type of turnaround, we've gone from an early stage to far more of a transitional stage right now, which is a step in the right direction from my book. 

• Commissioner
36 minutes ago, Devise said:

I think the point is more that GM's often fluctuate in and out often. Many of the members who we even selected this time were earning their stripes long before taking over the GM role. We also have several notable long time members in GM roles right now who would otherwise have access to the BoG. Bana, Victor, D_A to name a few. I'd say it's unlikely they have 20-30 season GM tenures left in them. With the wave of more and more new GM's coming it just so happens that the pool of players we would be selecting to enter the BoG intersects with the pool of players on the short list to be a GM. If shake up doesn't occur until after those members have been selected to take over a GM role it would be pretty unfair to automatically disqualify them. 

Either way, the number of GM's in the BoG isn't some static number even when we aren't bringing in as many as 4 like we have this time around. I'm not saying there is no room for criticism here, obviously and your right to bring your thoughts to the forefront. I just think it's very clear there is a movement from the old guard of VHL of late to allow the newer faces who have earned stripes to get in, get GM roles from WJC to VHL tier, get into the BoG and get other jobs. While it's not a night and day type of turnaround, we've gone from an early stage to far more of a transitional stage right now, which is a step in the right direction from my book. 

And while I understand all of that, I'm not wrong in what I brought up. You're defending why you chose these individuals which I agree with. My point was that it was 2 who weren't GMs who were replaced by 4 who were. While it's not the end of the world and is a good hiring it has be brought up the fact it happened. 

• Head Moderator

Update:

Affiliations League April 16, 2020 Discussion
Job Audit League April 16, 2020 Review
Discord Conduct League April 16, 2020 Discussion on environment

• 3 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator

Latest Discussions

Discord Moderation
Update Scales, Cap, Endurance
Return of the Grimm Johnsson Award?
Play by Play Test