On Rivals, Expansion: "Who am I supposed to irrationally hate again?"

Renomitsu

Riga, Latvia - Even though he has nearly two full seasons under his belt, Hackett isn't entirely sure about the rivalries in the VHL.

"Who am I supposed to irrationally hate again? I mean, I get the whole Davos vs. Riga playoff curse, sure. But I've just been applying a uniform level of disdain for every team in the league, and that just isn't right. Shouldn't I be sayin', 'f**kin' Davos' under my breath at the end of every game we play against them? I think the fans need to give me another primer on how the league works again."

With the league expanding by yet another two teams this upcoming offseason, the notion of intra-conference and inter-conference rivalries rears its head. Some teams may have natural rivals or teams to commiserate with, but it's also possible that the historical rivalries haven't made their way into the large, new generation of players - a task the dwindling number of veteran players will have to take on before these rivalries become precisely that - history. When asked about the two new teams joining the league, Hackett just shrugged.

"Wish I could tell you. But the head honchos try to keep things under wraps the best they can so it's a surprise for everyone at the same time. I just hope the league doesn't get too shuffled around; as of right now, the only rival I have is that god-forsaken Riga ref."