Hugh Chan, thoughts on VHL expansion.

HughJas_

MINNESOTA SPORTS COLUMN

We're here with the captain of the Minnesota Storm defenseman Hugh Chan, and today we're talking to him about his thoughts and opinions on the recent announcement of the VHL expansion.

Q. " Hello there Hugh! Thanks for joining us today on such short notice, how are you doing? "

H. " No problem at all, I'm doing great thanks for having me! "

Q. " You've just finished your last game for the regular season, what did you think about the Minnesota Storms season overall?

H. " The season was great overall, I'm not going to lie I definitely expected us to be a top 2 team considering how great of a start we had but I'm happy with how our team progressed. Also clinching the 3rd seed was amazing for the team, it will give us even more of an opportunity to make a deep playoff run."

Q. " Now with the announcement of the expansion of the VHL, what are your thoughts about it and do you think that it will be good for the league? "

H. " I'm excited about the new expansion of two more VHL teams, the league has grown considerably since I've joined 2 seasons ago and an expansion was definitely due. The extra expansion teams will also help with playing time as the league continues to grow, we are seeing more and more players stay an extra year down in the minors due to the amount of depth on current VHL teams and also the lack of minutes which young prospects need to develop. More teams will also = more fans which in turn generates more revenue that will be reinvested into the players and the VHL. As you can see with my points I think that it's a huge deal and will be a great thing for the league in the long term. "

Q. " This question is being thrown around the league and is still up in the air, where do you think/hope the teams will end up?

H. " *chuckles" Yeah I've seen this question being asked to players all the time, you guys know just as much as I do. The destination of the teams is still definitely still up in the air so me speculating isn't going to provide much insight. However if I had the choice for where the two teams would go, I'd like another team in the north west as I'm from Vancouver. Somewhere in a neighboring state or province would be amazing, to have another rival in the division of my hometown team would be an amazing experience, purely as a fan of the Vancouver Wolves! The destination for the second team ... hmm, maybe somewhere like Chicago? They have always had passionate fans and a place like that would be great for a new rebuilding expansion team. "

Q. " Thanks again for the stopping by for this short interview, any last words you would like to add? "

H. " Yeah I'd like to thank the Minnesota Storm fans for all their support this season, it has been an honor to play my last season in VHLM with the Storm and couldn't have asked for more from the fans. Expect a great showing in the playoffs as we attempt to bring the Founder's Cup home! "

Edited by HughJas_