VHL's Area 51

• Commissioner

Is this that short film you were talking about in the podcast? Been meaning to ask you for a link, I’ll check it out later. Can’t give much feedback in regards to actual animation but should be able to for editing stuff; pacing etc.

Also, Area 51 is what the section at the bottom of the board for all the private stuff is called so I was really confused for a second  haha

Edit: Ending was a tad confusing but it’s definitely tough to get a complete story out of only 2 minutes or so, can’t much blame you for that. Visuals looked very nice, character textures felt a tad flat (especially the younger character) but I think that was by design, food felt the same. Environment and lighting both looked very good though. My main critique would be the audio. Good visuals are great but will only get you so far. The subtle music and stuff was good but the “voice acting” didn’t really add anything and actually just seemed a bit stereotypical and out of place at times. Might have had more impact to just go with sound effects like the stomach crumbling, the cookie opening, etc and avoided any voices since they just felt out of place. Still, a good piece, and again quite visually stunning.

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Yeah, the sound design was rushed and it sucked ass

Tends to be the case all too often, it gets overlooked as an afterthought and ends up suffering because of it. Sadly poor audio can make or break things sometimes. The sound effects and music were good though so honestly even removing a few of the obviously out of place ones (like the “wow” from the kid) would go a long way.

To be fair, its was a short term project so that whole aspect was left behind for a reason really. The CFX is also shaky and could have been way better. Considering none of us had production experience, it went relatively well.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, boubabi said:

To be fair, its was a short term project so that whole aspect was left behind for a reason really. The CFX is also shaky and could have been way better. Considering none of us had production experience, it went relatively well.

Yeah, it comes with time, and with budget really. I look back on short of the short films I made back in the day and cringe at how horrible they are so you’re definitely further along than I was.

Are you working for a company on just as an independent? We’re constantly working with Quebec producers on things and are looking to do a lot more animation projects in the future so I’m just curious.