This week in Lynx hockey Playoff Edition!

Brrbisbrr

This week in Lynx hockey 

image.jpg

Welcome back to another installment of this week in Lynx hockey.  The final week of the regular season was a successful one for Ottawa as they leaped over Philadelphia and took first place in a wild week.  This sets Ottawa up with a date with Las Vegas in the first round.  As of this writing, Ottawa is up 3-1 on Las Vegas.  More on that later.  The Lynx were well represented at the top of the regular season statistical leader board.  They have the top 3 overall scorers as well as a leader in assists, plus minus, shots and hits.  The stats are there for every one to see so I will skip to what we all came to hear about…Playoff Predictions!!!

Ottawa vs. Las Vegas

This series seems almost already over as of this writing.  Ottawa is up 3-1 after winning 3 straight.  I wouldn’t count anyone out because it is the playoffs, but Las Vegas has not looked impressive at all against Ottawa.  Even in their win, the Aces were out shot by a wide margin.  Sub par play by goalie Samuel Ross was the culprit.  Ross eventually recovered and beat Vegas in game 3.  So far in this series Anthony Amberback has been the teams biggest  threat.  He has 2 first stars and his defense has kept shots low.  Maybe he’s an early playoff MVP.  Who knows?  Thorny Underyew is playing lights out again, scoring 10 points in the 4 games.  I wonder if this will spring him into the number one spot in the VHL draft?

Halifax vs. Yukon

This matchup pitted 2 of the hottest teams against each other.  Yukon had a great last month as it took down some of the elite of the vhlm and making a case for them to be considered elite as well.  They had the VHL’s best defense and arguably the top goalie in the league.  This has not seemed to help them much as they are down to Halifax 3-1.

Minnesota and Philadelphia have already ended their series.  Houston put up a good fight against Minnesota as game 4 ended in a 1-0 shutout.  This pits both teams against each other next round.  I’m going to assume Halifax and Ottawa win their series for my predictions.  So here goes..

Minnesota vs. Philadelphia

Philadelphia has kind of cooled off the last month, allowing Ottawa to take the top spot from them.  So far it hasn’t hurt them in the playoffs, but it might here.  Minnesota isn’t quite unbeatable anymore, but they have some great weapons and I think they might actually take down Philadelphia in this matchup.  It’s a classic offense vs. defense battle as both teams have great defenders but I give Philly the edge here.  For Minnesota, the opposite seems true to me.  Berocka Sundqvist has been consistently great scoring goals for the Storm.  I think he will be a key this series.  It wouldn’t surprise me if Minnesota pulled it off but it will take 6 or 7 games.  This might be the most difficult series to speculate on.

Ottawa vs. Halifax

Isn’t it funny how things seem to work out?  For a good chunk of the season Halifax had Ottawa’s number.  Ottawa took down Minnesota for their first loss, then got beaten by Halifax the next game.  Ottawa seemed to have cracked the code on Halifax as it went on a 2nd half tear.  Halifax also had a GM change, did that contribute to Halifax losing it’s magic?  Maybe we will find out in this series.  I’m not quite so sure this series will go as long as Minnesota versus Philly.  I’m going to take Ottawa in 5.  Ottawa’s defense has caught up to it’s blistering offense.  The Lynx goaltending has worked very hard as a unit and now both goalies could have starting spots for teams.  With 3 hundred point scorers Ottawa’s offense will put the 21st away.

This brings us to Minnesota versus Ottawa.  This series should be great.  Maybe even one that gets the VHLM a little more respect.  Could it be one of the best of all time?  I think so.  It features plenty of star power, lots of two way defensive play, and lots of talented forwards. Will Sundqvist get enough offensive help to overcome Ottawa’s offensive barrage?  Will Virgil Ligriv out duel Raymond Bernard?  Will Finnegan MacBurn’s physical play continue through these playoffs?  I don’t think so.  I’m going to call Ottawa in 7.  Thorny, Zeno and Anthony Hawk will be the difference makers for Ottawa.  Hawk’s physical play will be too much to handle and Bernard will be his steady, calm and cool self.  I can’t think of a better series to end season 67.